It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

Millennials? No like most tv 18-45 is the target. I don't watch it, it's super cheesy. but I love So you think you can dance.

But then again, I'm a boomer. Not even Gen x.

I'm starting to think you & I would get on well. I'm a boomer too. And I work for a financial institution as well (based in Canada with lots of locations in NY. :) )

I know, it really does look stuffy doesn't it! I went on that cruise with my (then) 22 year old son (husband couldn't get away from work). We loved the itinerary, and went with Cunard for a number of reasons, but weren't really looking forward to the ship or the Cunard 'experience'. Well, we had an amazing time. The ship was beautiful, the entertainment outstanding, and the food was very, very good. (No beverage packages though!). People were, overall, friendly and fun.

I like dressing up sometimes (and took my one long dress, and various cocktail dresses), but people get quite dressed up even on non-formal nights on Cunard. By the end of week one, I was really getting tired of feeling the need to dress up every evening. One night near the end we just went to the buffet instead.

So I will dress up if I feel like it on our upcoming Celebrity cruises in January and April, and dress up because I have to on Cunard next May!

Oooh ballroom dancing, yeah don't do that either. That looks hella stuffy. Won't be going on that line.

How about you bring your formal wear, enjoy your evening and stop worrying about what other people are wearing! Your more than welcome to wear your formal attire, it's just not required.

I couldn't care less about the demise of formal night....my DH is thrilled about it. I also don't give a rat's hiney what others wear....

My response was to someone suggesting "one formal night" per cruise....I am just as happy with none.

We sail on Cunard at times and formal wear is just part of the culture....3 formal nights on a 7 night cruise....but we just go with the flow because we enjoy the QM2.

Don't assume that CC polls are necessarily representative of X clientele.

In May, we sailed on the Eclipse out of Southampton to Norway. The average age was probably 65+. Brits predominated. Many of the oldest clearly enjoyed the formal nights and dressing up properly.

I know that many octogenarians are internet savvy, but many are not, and there is generally an inverse correlation between age and internet use.

I suspect that many of those on the Eclipse will turn up with full formal dress unaware of any change, and ignoring it if they are aware.

Stuart

I was thinking the same! I spoke with my sister today, with whom I am sharing a cabin on Celebrity in a few months and she was not aware of the change. She most likely got the email but she is rarely online (she's 66). Some people are just not into the internet.

In any case, she was fine with the change when I mentioned it to her.

The change in dress codes should not surprise any of us as both of these cruise lines are trying to attract younger cruisers on board. Look at the change in music being played, the louder volumes, the increase in craft brewed beers as other evidence. The younger folks have a different definition of evening dress style I suppose. I just wish more of them would invest in a halfway decent razor.

Every X cruise, both past and future, that my wife and I have been/will be on has been in Aqua just so we have the freedom to dress "resort casual" in Blu (the food also happens to be very good there too). During our working years we have been required to be "dressed up" too many times.

For those who like to dress to the nines you can still do so...just don't forget that earplugs may be required.

LOL! On Princess, my DH and I, at 62 and 63, are the "young cruisers"!! Our last cruise the average age onboard was 78! :eek:

Royal Caribbean formal nights are a fiction. Passengers dress as they please. including in shorts. There is little adherence to the dress requests on Royal and no enforcement at all of dress requests.

If people want to look to a mainstream line which is more formal I am surprised none mentions Princess. In my experience more passengers adhere to formal dress on Princess than on the other mainstream lines and that has been the case for years. Princess passengers have always tended to dress up more in general than Celebrity passengers.

Right! I had mentioned that earlier....the majority of people dress up on formal nights on Princess, at least in my experience.

I agree with a lot of the posters who say the new dress code won't make much of a difference. I have followed the dress code thread for sometime and for me what people wear does not affect my cruise experience, however what does, is the attitude of CC commentators as well as those on board cruises who feel the implied dress code, formal or chic, does not apply to them and they can do whatever they want because "they paid for their cruise". Even if the dress code specified exactly what was required, (agreed Celebrity's does not), the same people who stretched or ignored the previously implied formal night dress code would do the same and feel they do not have to follow the "Host's request". IMHO, that seems rather arrogant. So, the new "Chic" as with the "Formal" will be ignored by many who feel they do not have to comply. Class is not a reflection of how you dress or what you wear, rather how you respect a hosts request, detailed or implied. I may be old school, but if I sign up for a cruise with a dress code, I feel one should comply. My guess is even with the new change, as in the past, many will comply and some will assume they are special and can do what ever they want.

I agree with a lot of the posters who say the new dress code won't make much of a difference. I have followed the dress code thread for sometime and for me what people wear does not affect my cruise experience, however what does, is the attitude of CC commentators as well as those on board cruises who feel the implied dress code, formal or chic, does not apply to them and they can do whatever they want because "they paid for their cruise". Even if the dress code specified exactly what was required, (agreed Celebrity's does not), the same people who stretched or ignored the previously implied formal night dress code would do the same and feel they do not have to follow the "Host's request". IMHO, that seems rather arrogant. So, the new "Chic" as with the "Formal" will be ignored by many who feel they do not have to comply. Class is not a reflection of how you dress or what you wear, rather how you respect a hosts request, detailed or implied. I may be old school, but if I sign up for a cruise with a dress code, I feel one should comply. My guess is even with the new change, as in the past, many will comply and some will assume they are special and can do what ever they want.

I agree. The challenge with the new dress code specifically states "you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way." In some people, there own way to be sophisticated is very different than another. There will be NO way to determine what complies and there will be no enforcement of any standard. Since the way someone IS dressing is what makes THEM glamorous (and sophisticated). Two things this discussion surely is not.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I bet this poster is one if those people letting the side down by enjoying their trip on the big boat and being nice to the staff. I would go even further by suggesting they say please and thank you to all the staff snd treat them with genuine respect.

Shame on you . Didnt you know you are supposed to order them about - particularly if they are 'only a ...'. and patronise them with a tip.

What one wears is only relevant to you and your partner. My Boss Lady likes to dress up -therefore we both do. Dont particularly care what others wear even at our table. Only ever had tablemates that we wouldnt to share with again. We all dressed formally but their constant moaning and complaining and treating staff like servants became tiresome.

It i s not what you wear - its how you behave that counts. In my experience 80% of the people (at least) are there to enjoy themselves without inconveniencing others and treat everyone with respect.

I take great exception to the inference from some posters that the pro formal people are better behaved than the others - if anything it is the other way around. in my experience

I think we ate with those same people on our last cruise. Rude, obnoxious, inappropriate comments on what people ate and drank and then told on our assistant waiter because he took her plate from the right instead of the left! :eek:

I think we ate with those same people on our last cruise. Rude, obnoxious, inappropriate comments on what people ate and drank and then told on our assistant waiter because he took her plate from the right instead of the left! :eek:

I'm about to quote a Real Housewife of NYC (don't judge) "money can't buy you class"

Even if the dress code specified exactly what was required, (agreed Celebrity's does not), the same people who stretched or ignored the previously implied formal night dress code would do the same and feel they do not have to follow the "Host's request". IMHO, that seems rather arrogant. So, the new "Chic" as with the "Formal" will be ignored by many who feel they do not have to comply. Class is not a reflection of how you dress or what you wear, rather how you respect a hosts request, detailed or implied. I may be old school, but if I sign up for a cruise with a dress code, I feel one should comply. My guess is even with the new change, as in the past, many will comply and some will assume they are special and can do what ever they want.

I think many see their relationship with the cruise line as not being their "hosts" but being a company they paid to provide a vacation.

As far as the cruise line customers ignoring "the new dress code", I don't care. That's not my problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So be it...chic/formal/how I feel....I am still going to compliment the men and women who make an effort and look amazing whatever their decision and I am going to do my formal dressing because #1 I love dressing up and #2 I love the way dressing up makes me feel. I am not going to look down on those who choose not to just as I hope those that don't look at me as a snob.....it just makes me feel good. I don't think it's a huge infringement on any new personal sensibilities to make an effort whether it's a tux, or dockers an a shirt...as long as we are all having fun and laughing isn't that what we all want?

As we know, the evening dress code is always smart casual and above for Luminae, Blu and the specialty restaurants.

All these restaurants (which never require formal attire) are more upscale dining venues than the noisy, crowded main dining room.

Yet in any of them, some diners will be dressed formally and others won't, with the mix varying from one time to another.

It is the same at many fine cosmopolitan restaurants on land as well, where great variety in styles of dress can be observed.

The point is that the people who dress formally in these situations do so because it is their choice, not because it is a requirement imposed upon them.

People do not go around complaining that their evening was ruined because others were dressed differently.

They can have an enjoyable evening without calling those who choose to dress in a different style either slobs or snobs.

If the guy in the poly blend universal fit rental outfit doesn't want to accept what Celebrity is doing and doesn't like it, and can't be happy for himself and accepting and accommodating of others, save yourself the grief of a bad vacation, and your money, and cancel your vacation.

Alternatively take control of yourself and don't allow strangers such power over you.

And at the very least don't be surprised if someone ever just laughs in your face.

I talked to Mr. Pcur yesterday about this change to Evening Chic. I mentioned all my fancy pants outfits: chiffon jackets, sparkly tops, chiffon lined black pants, aqua 3-piece dressy pants outfit; think mother-of-the-bride type clothes. He said he had no problem continuing to wear his dark sports coat and dress slacks, and I suggested he not bring the tie. We agreed.

However, he really likes his navy and blue Hawaiian flower tie, so he might still bring that.

He's a keeper. :D