a la carte changes already for escape?

LMaxwell

29xw0md.jpg

This is from a friend who is on board right now

Thanks for the update.

Why were all the people on the TA being told otherwise?

Wonder about the status of going back to fixed cover charges for cagneys la Cucina and Le Bistro as well

Really hoping the charges for Margaritaville are not true!!

I haven't read thru all the forums, can someone tell me if the Room Service is now a charge? I read somewhere about $7.95 convenience charge, is this for all the items for room service or just specialty ones?

Really getting tired of the charges NCL...We booked months ago for Jan 2016 and got the UBP as part of the freestyle choice. They just had a promotion for 2 Freestyle picks, we called and to get another added they told us we would have to cancel our reservation and rebook (and hope our room was still available when doing so)!!! This meant the price of the cruise went up and the Beverage surcharge went from $81 to $107. Not impressed after cruising with Norwegian for so many years and this is the 2nd time I am bringing 14 people along with me. Think they could cut a bit of slack but nope.

They did spend the last year advertising this as a complimentary venue included in your cruise fare.

That doesn't count for anything?

Why have advertising?

I don't know why the advertised as complimentary other than, if it is true, they changed their mind. I was quite surprised it was complimentary, because most celebrity themed/owned restaurants aren't complimentary.

But since someone posted that Mr. Stuart said it was still complimentary, who knows if people are just getting upset over nothing!!!!!

I don't know why the advertised as complimentary other than, if it is true, they changed their mind. I was quite surprised it was complimentary, because most celebrity themed/owned restaurants aren't complimentary.

But since someone posted that Mr. Stuart said it was still complimentary, who knows if people are just getting upset over nothing!!!!!

No different to me than advertising complimentary MDR and then switching it to a cover charge to enter. Or complimentary nighttime entertainment and then charging an admission fee. *IF TRUE* it is pure garbage.

29xw0md.jpg

This is from a friend who is on board right now

And your friend may have been given the correct information. It is complementary,,,,,,NOW.

She should ask if it will be a month from now once they start their regular scheduled 7 day cruises. THAT's the answer I want to hear.

Harriet

No different to me than advertising complimentary MDR and then switching it to a cover charge to enter. Or complimentary nighttime entertainment and then charging an admission fee. *IF TRUE* it is pure garbage.
It is not something I would do, if it were my company, but it is not. You either live with it or you don't....we always have the choice.

And your friend may have been given the correct information. It is complementary,,,,,,NOW.

She should ask if it will be a month from now once they start their regular scheduled 7 day cruises. THAT's the answer I want to hear.

Harriet

I'll ask him and see if he can ask that question.

Hate to think this is true. Was really looking forward to this venue being complimentary. It's not the money.What really gets me is how little regard NCL management has for its customer. Changes at whim and we are just suppose to accept it. Making customers unhappy and 2nd guessing their choice of cruiseline is not the way to customer loyalty. Wonder if the balance sheet is not looking good? Remember a few months ago when they offered people booked on certain cruises in the first few months of 2016 to move to last three months of 2015 and get certain perks and upgrades. Trying to make 4th quarter look good? Well now the first three months of 2016 is rolling around and they have to fill those cabins and look for new revenue. Maybe they had it planned but have changed their minds due to slow bookings. Who knows but I don't think the changes are done. Stayed tuned I guess.

They did spend the last year advertising this as a complimentary venue included in your cruise fare.

That doesn't count for anything?

Why have advertising?

Yep. The fact that they're not legally obligated to provide an advertised service doesn't make it less bogus if they decide they'd rather not. The fact that cruise lines don't "have to" perform as advertised is undercut by the fact that they usually do. If all you care about is a room and 3 squares, why sail NCL over anyone else?

Edited by Cauzneffct

Far be it for me to defend any CEO, brush off a new charge or to resist jumping on any bandwagon, but I shall take a wait-and-see attitude. So far, all we've heard is hearsay and all we've read is (possibly justified) indignation.

Given Frank Del Rio's/NCL's declared marketing direction, this would have been the time to make such an announcement. Instead, Del Rio was quoted as saying "...for business and crowd-control reasons, that's always a possibility, but it's too early to tell." True, he didn't categorically deny it. Right now is the opportunity to strike while the honeymoon iron is hot and levy that "modest" Margaritaville charge. But, so far, he didn't.

To those who say it's the "final straw" if they switch from complimentary to ala cart pricing...bye.

With anything new, NCL deserves the right to test it out. If it is not business savvy of them to offer it for free, then they will add a charge. If the crowds on the normal 7-night sailings are still outrageous, they will add a charge.

Just like they removed the charge for the Noodle Bar on some ships...they reevaluated their strategy for certain venues.

Businesses are allowed to do this as much as they want and in fact, I think it would be unwise of them NOT to do it, if the circumstances are present.

I don't get why people have such knee-jerk reactions to things and give an ultimatum.

It is the same thing. When you book a cruise, your contract is for your transportation and ordinary cruise food, nothing more nothing less.

So, you turn up at the pier, find you are on a garbage scow, and are served up burgers, burgers or burgers as your choice, you will suck it up as being OK as per the contract? (OK that is overstating it somewhat but - if a company did this they would be out of business in a heartbeat.)

Can you not see that NCL is heading this way and nobody, (not even NCL apparently), knows what the eventual product is that is going to be delivered?

That is the problem at the moment - stuff is changing weekly (albeit incrementally), and is not being communicated well, if at all. It is also contrary to some of their advertising and provided information.

BTW, in many parts of the world, the representations made in the advertising, website etc. do form part of the contract and, if not honoured, will provide grounds for legal action.

To those who say it's the "final straw" if they switch from complimentary to ala cart pricing...bye.

With anything new, NCL deserves the right to test it out.

+1

My final straw was when the UBP per-drink limit went from $12 to $15. I'm afraid I'll black out and won't recall whether I stood in line for 90 minutes or paid a nominal cover charge. :confused:

I will be very irritated if NCL charges for Margaritaville that was supposed to be included. Sure, companies can change their policies... but NCL boasts all these great things about the ship so people like me book it a year in advance thinking it's a good deal... but then this costs extra, and that costs extra, and this costs more... It's misleading to advertise Margaritaville as an included dining option, then try to fleece the customer for more money.

If crowds are an issue, maybe NCL needs other (and better) included food options. There are TOO MANY dining options that cost extra.

From the Transatlantic reports, the ONLY reasons Margaritaville was crowded are because the hours it was open were very limited and a lot of the time the weather was not good for being outside. Then there's some sun, and everyone goes there.

For 4,000 guests... it seems NCL is limiting the included options which will result in very crowded buffet lines and long wait times at the main dining room. It seems NCL expects that guests will be forced to pay extra for dining or fight crowds.

We will be looking at Disney Cruises (since NCL is getting expensive) and Royal and Carnival. We chose NCL because it was less expensive than Disney and had all the waterslides and fun stuff. But now I realize that NCL has a lot of wasted space that is exclusive only to certain guests. I get the Haven experience and having higher class rooms and experiences. But the Vibe seems like a waste of space that could help provide an outdoor area for the 4,000 guests fighting for some space around the other small pool.

Edited by SeaWatcher65

+1

My final straw was when the UBP per-drink limit went from $12 to $15. I'm afraid I'll black out and won't recall whether I stood in line for 90 minutes or paid a nominal cover charge. :confused:

Some of this stuff does make me upset, but it won't stop me from sailing. I also read that they may remove the District Brewhouse beers from

UBP. That would make me extremely upset but wouldn't be a final straw. I just trust that they are doing it for the best interest of the company. I was a business major so I understand a lot of things from the company's perspective.

So, you turn up at the pier, find you are on a garbage scow, and are served up burgers, burgers or burgers as your choice, you will suck it up as being OK as per the contract? (OK that is overstating it somewhat but - if a company did this they would be out of business in a heartbeat.)

Can you not see that NCL is heading this way and nobody, (not even NCL apparently), knows what the eventual product is that is going to be delivered?

That is the problem at the moment - stuff is changing weekly (albeit incrementally), and is not being communicated well, if at all. It is also contrary to some of their advertising and provided information.

BTW, in many parts of the world, the representations made in the advertising, website etc. do form part of the contract and, if not honoured, will provide grounds for legal action.

I think NCL's new motto is going to be "pay extra" or be bored in your room and eat crappy food that you waited in long lines for.... The more I think about it, NCL's newer ships like Getaway, Breakaway, and Escape are VERY small unless you are willing to pay extra. Thermal suites cost extra, Haven areas take up a lot of space, the Vibe costs extra, if you want to sit outside and eat, the specialty restaurants cost extra. Unless one pays extra, a lot of extra, you are limited to where you can go. All of this is fine too.... I'll just figure all those extra costs when comparing cruises. The problem is, NCL keeps changing and increasing all the extra costs compared to when I booked my cruise and thought I chose the best priced cruise. Bait and switch is what it is. I'm past final payment on 1 cruise but I might cancel the other one.

I also read that they may remove the District Brewhouse beers from UBP. That would make me extremely upset but wouldn't be a final straw.

That makes no sense! Where on earth did that rumor start up? There are much costlier options throughout the ship. They should feel quite priviledged that I choose to consume beer over the alternative.

(and to be honest - that would be the first change that I'd actually start to moan about)

No, now that is silly when the contract says on the ship you booked. People need to read their contracts before they do business with any company that has one.

I don't see any of the changes leading NCL into any particular direction. I think they are trying a lot of things. I don't see them becoming a premium line, I see them upping their rank in the mainstream lines, like Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, etc.

Things are not changing weekly. Have there been changes over the last 7 months, yes, but weekly, no.

If it is of a concern to those that live in parts of the world where representations are made in advertising are consider contractual, then they should file a lawsuit against NCL, just as I've said that those that are yelling "bait and switch" should go to an attorney.

Everyone who boards the ship has the right to purchase the for a fee items or not and those planning a cruise have the power to either spend their money with NCL or not. Seems pretty easy to me; one either lives with it or they don't.