a la carte changes already for escape?

LMaxwell

Food Republic is not incuded in the SDP - they never said it would be, and it is not.

At Cagney's with SDP, you can have as many apps and sides as you want. There is no limit. Same goes for Le Bistro and La Cucina.

So I am on the Escape right now and you are WRONG. SDP provides a single app, entree, dessert. Not like the old UDP.

In fact, if you choose inexpensive items, the SDP can cost more than buying a la carte.

Edited by BirdTravels

So I am on the Escape right now and you are WRONG. SDP provides a single app, entree, dessert. Not like the old UDP.

In fact, if you choose inexpensive items, the SDP can cost more than buying a la carte.

Thank you for your information. How about sides?

This is, by the way, not what they do advertise. It's difficult to plan an ncl cruise at the moment...

WRONG :eek: she won't like this.

Edited by legion3

Food Republic is not incuded in the SDP - they never said it would be, and it is not.

At Cagney's with SDP, you can have as many apps and sides as you want. There is no limit. Same goes for Le Bistro and La Cucina.

You must be thinking of the (no longer available) UDP. If you got it before the name/terms change, it will work as you described. You can go to Le Bistro, La Cucina, Teppanyaki, Cagney's, and Moderno and eat as much as you like, as many times as you'd like.

The more recently offered SDP is essentially a pre-paid dinner package that covers a meal a day and only like....the typical parts of the meal. I remember someone did some math and figured out the SDP only really becomes beneficial if you have like the most expensive items on the menu every night for dinner.

However, you are correct about Food republic. It is not covered in either the SDP or UDP. I believe they receive a 25% discount on Food republic (and bayamo, the tappas place, etc).

Ultimately, I think NCL would like to try and do away with the packages entirely, though I can't imagine many people buying them are even physically up to the challenge of getting more value from it than NCL. I know for the UBP, you basically have to drink yourself into unconciousness....daily to really come out on top.

Edited by NoahtheRed

Thanks. Do you know at Cagney's can you substitute a side for the dessert? I have the UDP for my next two cruises, but just interested on cruises I go on after that.

I remember someone did some math and figured out the SDP only really becomes beneficial if you have like the most expensive items on the menu every night for dinner.

Not true for everyone. I usually get a wedge salad, small filet and baked potato and at the a la carte prices it would be $26 including gratuity, where the SDP, purchasing for the week, would net down to $20 per meal with gratuity. Edited by NLH Arizona

OK now someone needs to get to the bottom of this. I'm debating purchasing the SDP but this is pivotal. As mentioned I may end up paying more for the SDP if they only allow you a single app, entree and dessert. Heck I never even eat dessert so that will be a total waste. I do however enjoy multiple apps with my dinner.:mad:

Not true for everyone. I usually get a wedge salad, small filet and baked potato and at the a la carte prices it would be $26 including gratuity, where the SDP, purchasing for the weekl, would net down to $20 per meal with gratuity.

Dang, I guess the prices changed since then (No shocker there :P)

*edit*

Nvm, I can't scroll up :P Small filet is 5 oz

Edited by NoahtheRed

I ate Cagney's twice on the TA with the SDP.

On my first visit, I had 3 apps, surf & turf, 2 sides, and dessert. My cost with SDP was $0.

The 2nd visit, I had 2 apps, surf & turf, 2 sides, and dessert. My cost with SDP was $0.

For what it's worth, at Le Bistro I had 2 apps also. Again, $0 charge.

I'm sorry if it isn't working the same for you as it did for me. Considering Cagney's isn't even open yet, I'm not sure your experience is first hand.

I actually saved my receipts because I figured there'd be someone foolish enough to call me a liar, but I am still unpacking and haven't located them yet. If/when I do, I'll be sure to post them. My experience is identical to what was posted by everyone else on the TA with SDP.

Edited by LrgPizza

You must be thinking of the (no longer available) UDP. If you got it before the name/terms change, it will work as you described. You can go to Le Bistro, La Cucina, Teppanyaki, Cagney's, and Moderno and eat as much as you like, as many times as you'd like.

The more recently offered SDP is essentially a pre-paid dinner package that covers a meal a day and only like....the typical parts of the meal. I remember someone did some math and figured out the SDP only really becomes beneficial if you have like the most expensive items on the menu every night for dinner.

However, you are correct about Food republic. It is not covered in either the SDP or UDP. I believe they receive a 25% discount on Food republic (and bayamo, the tappas place, etc).

Ultimately, I think NCL would like to try and do away with the packages entirely, though I can't imagine many people buying them are even physically up to the challenge of getting more value from it than NCL. I know for the UBP, you basically have to drink yourself into unconciousness....daily to really come out on top.

I did NOT have the UDP. I had the 4 meal SDP. I am speaking from my own experience on the TA.

Our ticket for 2 our first visit to Cagney's was $109. Our ticket on our 2nd visit was $90. This was FOOD ONLY. We paid $0 at the restaurant. We'd bought the 4 day SDP so we essentially paid $21 each for these meals.

Edited by LrgPizza

Do you know this from experience? Have you actually purchased two apps and been charged for one?

I asked when I was onboard and was told img here were no limitations (which sounds unlikely when it comes to entrees).

If you are going on what you were told then we don't know which answer is correct. If you have actually been charged then it's a different matter.

Regarding food republic, I ate there three times and at no point was it suggested that I may use my SDP against it.

That is a big change from last week. We had a table split of SDPs and a la carte's and the SDPs ordered several appetizers and were told they could order as much as they wanted. They did this in Le Bistro, Cagneys and La Cucina.

In fact, in Cagney's, they put ALL of our apps on the SDP bill and only charged us a la carte'rs for our mains, which was nice, but totally unexpected and likely a one-off.

That is a big change from last week. We had a table split of SDPs and a la carte's and the SDPs ordered several appetizers and were told they could order as much as they wanted. They did this in Le Bistro, Cagneys and La Cucina.

In fact, in Cagney's, they put ALL of our apps on the SDP bill and only charged us a la carte'rs for our mains, which was nice, but totally unexpected and likely a one-off.

As LrgPizza just pointed out, Cagneys hasn't even been open yet on the current cruise, so I think we'd probably better wait until we get some reports of first hand experience before we conclude that anything has changed.

Whilst it's possible that they have changed something, I suspect it is actually incorrect information given by staff.

The one starter, entree and desert rule does apply to the Latitudes Platinum meal. Perhaps someone is getting confused with that.

Edited by KeithJenner

As LrgPizza just pointed out, Cagneys hasn't even been open yet on the current cruise, so I think we'd probably better wait until we get some reports of first hand experience before we conclude that anything has changed.

Whilst it's possible that they have changed something, I suspect it is actually incorrect information given by staff.

The one starter, entree and desert rule does apply to the Latitudes Platinum meal. Perhaps someone is getting confused with that.

Thanks I totally missed those posts, my page blanked out with the large pictures loading. That makes far more sense as the person hasn't actually tried it yet!

For what it's worth, we never even asked at the specialties before ordering. We just ordered whatever we wanted, and at the end, it was all zeroed out.

If they do change it, I take full responsibility because they lost a lot of money with my gluttony.

For what it's worth, we never even asked at the specialties before ordering. We just ordered whatever we wanted, and at the end, it was all zeroed out.

If they do change it, I take full responsibility because they lost a lot of money with my gluttony.

LOL. We did ask and were told at Cagney's "With the SDP, you live like Kings and can have as much of and anything you want". We laughed at that, as after ordering 14 lobsters, they'd likely say something, but it was clear it was pretty much all covered.

LOL. We did ask and were told at Cagney's "With the SDP, you live like Kings and can have as much of and anything you want". We laughed at that, as after ordering 14 lobsters, they'd likely say something, but it was clear it was pretty much all covered.

Here's hoping they stick to it :P I want to be in a meat coma by 8pm every day.

Straight from the T&C no talk of limit on apps:

Specialty Dining Package for the corresponding upcharges: The Supper Club ($15), Ocean Blue ($15), Bayamo ($15), Cirque Dreams and Illusionarium ($10 regular seats/$15 premium seats/$35 VIP seating on Breakaway), Sushi Bar ($7), Pincho Tapas Bar ($7), and Raw Bar ($7). Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at $10.00. There is no minimum to the number of meals that can be redeemed in a day, however each meal is counted towards the package purchased.

Then the FAQ:

ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro.

Edited by PressItUp

Found my receipts. Here are our tickets from Cagney's for our meals (2 people) using our 4 day SDP. The "total paid" reflects our beverages, which was eventually zeroed out since we had UBP. You can see right on the ticket where the food portion was zeroed out. (Don't judge my husband for downing the 32oz porterhouse all by himself. LOL! He is a marathon runner, who put in many miles each morning on the ship.)

B3D7BD2E-9C57-447F-B815-2D0252ABC4FC_zpsjtj55amu.jpg

Edited by LrgPizza

Thanks for posting those. Cagneys a la carte is not on my radar. I suspect our bill would be close to $90 + 18%. I don't go to specialty restaurants to sample a salad or dessert. If I am going for a special meal I want "full boat".

Now, some have said it may go back to a fixed cover charge. That would put it back on my radar. Though if it does it certainly won't be what the latest cover charge amount was.

Found my receipts. Here are our tickets from Cagney's for our meals (2 people) using our 4 day SDP. The "total paid" reflects our beverages, which was eventually zeroed out since we had UBP. You can see right on the ticket where the food portion was zeroed out. (Don't judge my husband for downing the 32oz porterhouse all by himself. LOL! He is a marathon runner, who put in many miles each morning on the ship.)

Great! Now I'm hungry - thanks!

Harriet

Thank you for the info. We leave on the 11/21 and I have been trying to decide if the SDP would be worth it or should we just go ala carte. Looking at your receipts I am going to get the package.

I want to ask one question about the package and that is the 18% gratuity. I am assuming that will be added on our bill at the end of the cruise right?

I do think it's disappointing that they will start charging for Margaritaville but my understanding from what I read that it seemed more of a move for crowd control. We booked this cruise in October or November of 2014 for a sailing Jan. 2nd, 2016. If a charge is going to be implemented it should be for future reservations not those that have been booked under the premise of it being included without additional charges. Having said that, I will still pay a fee of $4.95 (however, the article suggested they may charge $10) for the experience. While in port in the Bahamas, I'd rather stay on the ship and what better place to hang out than Margaritaville! :)

Still excited and can't wait for our sailing! 51 Days to Go!! :D

I think I see where the issue might be. You had the SDP but they credited it as UDP. I have to wonder if there is a separate POS entry for SDP that may behave differently at some point...

I think I see where the issue might be. You had the SDP but they credited it as UDP. I have to wonder if there is a separate POS entry for SDP that may behave differently at some point...
If you look under the SDP pricing, it still uses UDP as the codes for pricing. I also thought that the only difference between the SDP and UDP were that with the UDP it is calculated by night (meaning you could go to more than one restaurant per night and it was counted as one night) and the SDP is calculated on meals (meaning if you go to Cagney's for your main meal and La Cucina for dessert, it would count as two meals).

Specialty Dining Package

With our Specialty Dining Packages, you can savor an array of tastes and unique experiences at our specialty restaurants for one set price. Enjoy the package your entire cruise or tailor it to your schedule by selecting the number of days that you want. Go medium-rare at Cagney’s Steakhouse. Make it al dente at our Italian restaurant. Savor the délicieuse French cuisine at Le Bistro, or try flavors from south of the equator at Moderno Churrascaria, where succulent Brazilian barbeque and other meats are served rodizio-style by Norwegian’s own passadores. The choice is yours and the flavors endless!

Specialty Dining Packages include our steakhouses, churrascarias, French, Japanese and Italian restaurants. You may choose to dine in entertainment-based and à la carte priced restaurants for an additional charge. Dining options vary by ship. Read the FAQs and Terms & Conditions for more details.

Dining Package

Item # Description Per Person Price

3UDP 3-Meal Specialty Dining Package $59.00

4UDP 4-Meal Specialty Dining Package $74.00

5UDP 5-Meal Specialty Dining Package $89.00

6UDP 6-Meal Specialty Dining Package $104.00