a la carte changes already for escape?

LMaxwell

Nlh arizona your solution as a guest though proposing on previous posts was to go to hotel director and to the manager causing a problem to them and pushing the crew harder by this
Sorry, but I don't understand what your question/comment means. Yes, I did ask if anyone went to the Hotel Director or Dining Manager to ask why there are so many empty tables, when people are waiting. Who is it causing a problem for in this instance, especially if they are working as directed? If the crew is working at maximum capacity, I really don't think that management would push them to work harder, I think they would try to solve the issue and, yes this is an issue IMHO. Possibly they need more staff in the kitchen, maybe they need less tables, maybe they need more open time, but whatever the problem is, it really needs to be solved. Edited by NLH Arizona

Nlh arizona this is an issue because all the ships arecurrently understaffed and your beloved ceo doesnt do anything about it
First of all, he is not my beloved, but maybe your hated. What is the crew count on the ship and how many crew member should the ship have? Which departmenst are understaffed and by how many? Do you have the actual numbers to back up your statement that they are understaffed?

My solution would be to only have the number of tables that the kitchen can handle at one time (that way passengers wouldn't see empty tables, that infuriates them), as well as your suggestion for longer operating hours. Now, if only we ran the company, this problem would be solved.:)

You can't have just the number of tables a kitchen can handle at once, that would be an absurdly small number of tables. You have to allow for staggering of guests. Believe me, I've worked in kitchens (I have not done so in a number of years) and the limitations are basically the amount of cooking space. You can only cook SO many things at once. It is possible to fill every table at a restaurant and be at 100% occupancy and no real issue in the kitchen. But it is also possible for the same restaurant to be at 30% occupancy and the kitchen be entirely in the weeds if all the orders came at once. Imagine what would happen in the MDR if meals were all made to order? It would be bedlam.

This morning I was surprised and pleased to receive a call from my wonderful dedicated NCL Rep Chris John. He was just calling to see if I had any questions for him as we haven't spoke since booking our April 2016 cruise back in June 2015. Since he had called, I inquired about the Margaritaville up charge rumors. What he told me was even if this did become the case, it would not affect people that already had a booking. In his long experience with NCL he never saw a change made that affected previously booked cruises, only those that book after the change is announced. In other words, if you are already scheduled for an Escape Cruise, NCL will honor the terms that were advertised at the time of your booking (grandfathered). With that said, he had no info one way or the other about this question but may on Monday as he has several Reps from his crew on the cruise right now. They will be back in the office on Monday and he will inquire for me. Hope this information helps to ease some minds.

This morning I was surprised and pleased to receive a call from my wonderful dedicated NCL Rep Chris John. He was just calling to see if I had any questions for him as we haven't spoke since booking our April 2016 cruise back in June 2015. Since he had called, I inquired about the Margaritaville up charge rumors. What he told me was even if this did become the case, it would not affect people that already had a booking. In his long experience with NCL he never saw a change made that affected previously booked cruises, only those that book after the change is announced. In other words, if you are already scheduled for an Escape Cruise, NCL will honor the terms that were advertised at the time of your booking (grandfathered). With that said, he had no info one way or the other about this question but may on Monday as he has several Reps from his crew on the cruise right now. They will be back in the office on Monday and he will inquire for me. Hope this information helps to ease some minds.

Phone him back and ask him why people haven't been grandfathered into free room service.

One of my former culinary instructors always told me that for his restaurant he always took reservations for only the first 25 percent of his tables for the first 15 mins after opening, then 25 percent more the next 15 etc, which ALWAYS annoyed walkins to see them empty but kept the kitchen and serving staff running smoothly.

Although they could have certainly messaged better, its a good method to provide a better quality product. That said, if done properly you should stop seeing a significant amount of empty tables about 1 hour into operation (depending on speed which people eat)

Phone him back and ask him why people haven't been grandfathered into free room service.

We'll you may have me there. Just trying to be helpful but guess it's a wait and see situation afterall. I will certainly pose this question however.

Very impractical in practice, to say the least. Can't imagine NCL adding coding to only certain guest S&S cards so they don't get charged at Margaritaville during the cruise they booked before charges were implemented.

Well, we all know that isn't true ... Not only were we not grandfathered in to free room service, but we have to pay a la carte fees if we want to dine in most specialty restaurants instead of the flat fee.

I suppose they could create a 'promotion' in the system like the UDP for Margaritaville only and add it to existing bookings.. That would work for room service too, but not really for A La Carte changes (its a lot less complicated to set a zero out than it is to maintain 2 price structures)

Very impractical in practice, to say the least. Can't imagine NCL adding coding to only certain guest S&S cards so they don't get charged at Margaritaville during the cruise they booked before charges were implemented.

I suppose they could create a 'promotion' in the system like the UDP for Margaritaville only and add it to existing bookings.. That would work for room service too, but not really for A La Carte changes (its a lot less complicated to set a zero out than it is to maintain 2 price structures)
Since they didn't grandfather in those on the room service charge and many have cruise since it was implemented, I doubt that they would go back and grandfather others in.

As far as Margaritaville, at this point there has been no announcement that it has gone from no charge to a cover charge, but if it does, I would doubt they would grandfather passengers in, but if they did, they could easily grandfather in the cover charge versus a la carte the same way. On both they could have a sticker (can you imagine a key card with four or five stickers on it) one with a Margaritaville logo and one with a la carte with a line through it and then the crew would manually reverse the charge on Margaritaville to zero and change the a la carte pricing to the former cover pricing at Cagney's, Le Bistro and La Cucina.

Lol. Better book mark this. Ask a PCC what 2 plus 2 is and they will say 5 with a straight face.

I think I've mentioned this before, but people should be cognizant that the person on the phone with you, selling you your cruise, is at the very bottom end of the informational chain as far as what's actually happening on the ship and what decisions are being made at the top. They may work for the company but they will probably be the last to know about a shipboard change, often after it's been reported by people onboard here at CC.

They're customer service reps; they're going to tell you whatever will make you happy and make you keep buying cruises from them. No offense intended to call-center workers; I started out as one out of high school. (I don't know if they even work in call centers any more, I think a lot of CSRs work from home these days.)

. . .

Did anyone get an answer? Did anyone go to the Hotel Director or Dining Manager to ask the question.

No, and I didn't pursue higher up.

After the initial burning 'ouch', I realized she was actually correct . . . it truly wasn't my business to know/ask.

I left and went somewhere else. There are SO many options to choose from.

No, and I didn't pursue higher up.

After the initial burning 'ouch', I realized she was actually correct . . . it truly wasn't my business to know/ask.

I left and went somewhere else. There are SO many options to choose from.

and you have so many better things to do with your cruise than hunt down the Hotel Director....however if you do see him, please give him my regards ;)