Walk from international pier to downtown

sharse

I understand it's about a 7 minute cab ride for $8USD. How many miles is it? I'm wondering how the walk would be for 4 healthy adults. Is there much to see along the way or is it perhaps a dangerous walk on a highway? Thanks for your advice.

I understand it's about a 7 minute cab ride for $8USD. How many miles is it? I'm wondering how the walk would be for 4 healthy adults. Is there much to see along the way or is it perhaps a dangerous walk on a highway? Thanks for your advice.

It is about 3-4 miles each way depending on where in town you want to be.

The walk is perfectly fine mostly along a pedestrian/ cycle path until the outskirts of town, then uneven sidewalks. Nothing wrong with the route - follows the shoreline except for a section in town where there are businesses, restaurants and resorts between the road and the sea.

It is a long, hot, flat walk which I personally wouldn't do on a cruise ship day but I have done more than once, with breaks, while staying on the island. Maybe walk into town, and taxi back?

Edited by c-leg5

We've walked it both directions in a day, but it is a long walk. I agree maybe walk TO town and stop at some of the beach side bars along the way to refresh, and taxi back, or vice versa.

It's an easy walk, but long and can be hot during the day. Just a straight shot along the coast highway. There are sidewalks as mentioned before. Most of them are fine, some are a little rough, but for four healthy adults, no problem. Just walk out of the pier area and head left. You'll walk directly to town.

Something you may consider is watching from an upper deck of the ship as you come into port. You'll be able to see where San Miguel is located in relationship to the Int'l Pier and judge for yourself if you want to get the exercise, or pay the $8.

Now, I pay the $8. I'd rather spend more time in town, than walking to it. :)

I have walked it but it is a long walk, not pleasant if it is hot and there is not that much to see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We're sailing on Oasis in March with 3 grandchildren and want to avoid taxis and wonder if there's a beach within walking distance from the pier.

If you are concerned about travelling without car seats most cruise lines offer an excursion to the Playa Mia beach club - perfect for kids - that includes transport. You can also book Playa Mia on your own including transport - better yet bring car seats for those young enough to need them and then go to the beach club of your choice! ;)

We're sailing on Oasis in March with 3 grandchildren and want to avoid taxis and wonder if there's a beach within walking distance from the pier.

We recently walked to Park Royal from International Pier and bought AI day pass for $40 per adult. (Under 5 free). Very convenient and transport-free day. Walk oceanside with stroller.

Small beach area and three swimming pools, children's pool and club for 5+. We used the pool, (stayed with 4 year old) but not the club. Snack bar, buffet lunch, drinks and towels included.

• 1 month later...
We recently walked to Park Royal from International Pier and bought AI day pass for $40 per adult. (Under 5 free). Very convenient and transport-free day. Walk oceanside with stroller.

Small beach area and three swimming pools, children's pool and club for 5+. We used the pool, (stayed with 4 year old) but not the club. Snack bar, buffet lunch, drinks and towels included.

Did you have to spend time listening to time share lecture to enjoy the amenities?

Did you have to spend time listening to time share lecture to enjoy the amenities?

No. I had heard this was a problem sometimes but honestly we were not approached at all. It was a very easy and relaxing day. I have listened to timeshare presentations before so I "think" I could have said no quite firmly if necessary. I would not want to waste cruise ship day time listening to a presentation, although I know it can reduce your price and some people find it worthwhile. Maybe we didn't look like suitable candidates for listening- we had a 4-year old with us!

One thing to take into consideration is the pass is from 11am-6pm which is why we haven't done it before. We have looked round previously but didn't feel our port hours would justify the price of the pass. They will let you onto the premises earlier to use the facilities but food and drink are not available until 11am we went about 10.15am and just watched the little one playing in the kiddie pool for the first hour.