Projected Bad Weather for Entire Cruise

eltigre

After having one cruise cancelled because of a hurricane & one western itinerary changed to eastern because of bad weather I watch the weather forecasts before a cruise.

The weather for my upcoming Princess cruise to Roatan, Belize & Cozumel has been consistently forecasting rain & possible thunderstorms for all ports.

I am wondering if someone could give me an educated guess on what my prospects are for this cruise.

I am really really hoping not to fly from Vancouver (yes rainy Vancouver) to spend the entire time indoors even if it is on a ship.;)

After having one cruise cancelled because of a hurricane & one western itinerary changed to eastern because of bad weather I watch the weather forecasts before a cruise.

The weather for my upcoming Princess cruise to Roatan, Belize & Cozumel has been consistently forecasting rain & possible thunderstorms for all ports.

I am wondering if someone could give me an educated guess on what my prospects are for this cruise.

I am really really hoping not to fly from Vancouver (yes rainy Vancouver) to spend the entire time indoors even if it is on a ship.;)

Unless there's an actual tropical system in the area, that's the normal prediction for anywhere around the Caribbean at any point during rainy. season. (and mostly year round, especially if you're looking more than 24 hours out). There's always a chance of rain, always a chance of thunderstorms. Most likely is hot, humid and passing showers. It's basically worthless to check any international weather sites more than 24 hours out as it changes so very rapidly around here.

Unless of course, there is an actual tropical depression/storm)hurricane in the area, in which case the predictions are pretty accurate a fee days out and you can make changes. At this point in time, there are no systems anywhere in the Caribbean, and nothing with current potential to develop in the next five days. (yes, I know about Hurricane Kate, it's not in the Caribbean, and is heading out to Atlantic).

Hurricanes dot government and Stormcarib dot com for up-to-date information on the tropics

Hi

Do not want to worry you, but many years ago we got stuck under a storm,

every day we moved it moved, folks kept saying first days rain in months,

heavy rain for about ten days non stop, ship started to flood there was

so much water coming down.

yours Shogun

November - January is the rainy season for Roatan, they get something like 75% of their annual rainfall in these 3 months, so this is to be expected. Having said that I spent a week on Roatan in November 7 or 8 years ago and while it did rain almost every day there was also sunshine almost every day for hours at a time. While it is true to expect random showers in the tropics any time of year, the showers on Roatan this time of year tend to last a bit longer than the typical afternoon thermal showers the rest of the year.

Being from Vancouver as well I understand !!!! We did a Carribean cruise a few years ago and I also checked the weather for each port ... and each one said rain for the day we were going to be there. For a 10 day cruise we had 15 minutes of warm rain in Tortola just before our snorkeling trip ....and that was it.

In this case it is a question of trade offs for the Caribbean as Hurricane season traditionally runs June 1st - November 30th, then the central American rainy season runs through January. Also many cruise lines only run Caribbean cruises Nov - May before repositioning for summers in Europe or Alaska..

Thanks All for the mostly reassuring comments. We are celebrating someone's milestone birthday in Texas with family so that is why the timing. I am going with a positive attitude and thank you for the information web sites reedprincess

Pat

Hi

Do not want to worry you, but many years ago we got stuck under a storm,

every day we moved it moved, folks kept saying first days rain in months,

heavy rain for about ten days non stop, ship started to flood there was

so much water coming down.

yours Shogun

That wasn't the ARK was it???

Every year we cruise in November.

Every year I look at weather reports for all the ports and stress out.

Every year, my husband tells me to quit it.

And every year, we have good weather the majority of the time.

PS - I'm totally checking the weather every day for our Regal cruise next week. :rolleyes:

Not the tropics (Southampton England is NOT tropical), but we got there and it was pouring like Noah & his ark weather. We told a construction worker "we came here to get away from this nonsense" but he assured us there is no escape in South England.