Celebrity Canceling Formal Nights

kontraxed

I just read that Celebrity is canceling formal nights. I wonder if Royal Caribbean will follow suit?

Celebrity is NOT cancelling formal nights. They are just relaxing the dress code a bit... If someone shows up to their MDR on formal night with ripped jeans or some other non-chic outfit, they run the risk of being denied entrance. I have seen similar things on their ships when a gentleman shows up to any of the dining facilities (other than the buffet) in a shirt without sleeves... that is still a no go !!

Steve

Celebrity is NOT cancelling formal nights. They are just relaxing the dress code a bit... If someone shows up to their MDR on formal night with ripped jeans or some other non-chic outfit, they run the risk of being denied entrance. I have seen similar things on their ships when a gentleman shows up to any of the dining facilities (other than the buffet) in a shirt without sleeves... that is still a no go !!

Steve

No jackets and ties required for the gentleman and stating 'designer-looking' jeans and sundresses allowed make it no longer a formal night and they are making it clear it is no longer formal. They are calling it 'Evening Chic' and they state the change "is designed to enable passengers to express their own sense of sophistication". No one is going to be determining what is chic or non-chic.

Unless one shows up in shorts, muscle shirts or ripped jeans they'll be seated. Like many cruiselines, they are still trying to make the passengers who enjoy a formal atmosphere happy by calling it 'Evening Chic", but anyone can wear what they please (expressing their own sense of sophistication), with a few exceptions.

We have recently been on Anthem. There aren't any formal nights as such. There are Royal Nights but not many dressed up. The Grande Restaurant on Anthem is formal dress all of the time.

We were just on the Anthem TA. You can only call Grande "formal" if you consider men wearing open collared, non-white, casual shirts with a borrowed jacked hanging on their chair "formal." The "formal" dress code in Grande is a joke. (I'm not advocating for a formal dress code. I'm just noting the facts.)

We were just on the Anthem TA. You can only call Grande "formal" if you consider men wearing open collared, non-white, casual shirts with a borrowed jacked hanging on their chair "formal." The "formal" dress code in Grande is a joke. (I'm not advocating for a formal dress code. I'm just noting the facts.)

It must have changed since our Canaries cruise because I saw men turned away because they didn't have a jacket and tie on. Granted they didn't stipulate white shirts but neither do formal nights on other lines/ships or if they did they didn't enforce it.

Yes, but the Quantum class ships are a special case due to the dynamic dining restaurants. What about the other ships? Curious because most of my cruises have been with Royal, going on Celebrity for the first time next year, and actually thought Celebrity dress code standards would be higher (NOT knocking Royal, which I love, I was just worried about not fitting in on Celebrity....now I feel like I'll be overdressed on the former formal night).

Steve

The question was-Celebrity cancelled formal nights-which they did and would royal follow suit. Why did you say-"Celebrity is NOT cancelling formal nights."?

The OP did not ask if they could go in ripped jeans.:confused:

Cancelling formal nights should not be a surprise to anyone. The entire cruise industry has been moving in this direction for a while. Plus, now that there's a charge for luggage on airlines, few want to pack extra clothes.

Stll, if someone wants to dress up, do you really need permission from the cruise line telling you that you can? Dress how you want.

This trend is bound to spread to all of RC ships, too. It's inevitable.