SUITES & BUTLERS... possibilities...?

drumexpert510

Having never sailed in a suite before I'm unsure what is appropriate protocol for tipping. Should we wait until the end of the trip to tip the Butler? Or tip throughout the cruise?

We leave Friday and decided just last week to upgrade to an aft penthouse suite on the gem.

We tip at the end. Try to catch them the last full day - the morning of debarkation is just too crazy. [emoji6]

You're going to get lots of different answers to your question.

I personally would tip at the end of the cruise. And base it on service provided.

On our very first cruise I tipped our room steward at the beginning of the cruise because that's what I had heard was the best way to do it. He seemed reluctant to take the money & I felt embarrassed. It was almost like bribing someone!

I never want to feel that way again...

Cheers,

Sandra.

In June, we were in a suite on the Jewel for my DW birthday. I decorated the room with birthday streamers and balloons. That evening, our butler had a small cake in the room and our steward had made a birthday cake out of towels (with lots of confetti) in addition to the normal towel animal. Last month we were in a suite on the Epic and decorated for Halloween. Our steward folded several towel bats to hang with our decorations. Examples of the proactive extras that earn a little extra tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a nice idea that we picked up from an earlier post here on CC a couple of years ago.

We have an "intro letter" (short) for the Butler when we first meet him/her.

(Someone had posted a sample letter they used.)

After all, the Butlers are "first meeting" everyone they'll be interacting with that next cruise, unless there are any B2B's continuing on.

So not only are they very busy that first day, but they've got to quickly learn about everyone. (HOW they remember names is astonishing, but that's another thing!)

We have our Suite number and names at the top, and then an advance thank you, and then a few "things about us" that will "help them to help us", etc.

So we mention that we prefer fresh fruit instead of candy/sweets, although we make exceptions for chocolate :)

We also mentioned a few special needs. Those were obviously on file, but we doubt the Butler would have been given all of that information, and some of it was relevant to cabin service as well as meals.

And we let them know that they can enter anytime - this is obviously very personal.

Thus far, we've always had a separate bedroom, so we just keep the door closed if we are sleeping or don't want to be disturbed.

(We specifically give permission to enter even if the "do not disturb" sign is up for others.)

We wouldn't do this for something like a PH, which is one large room.

That way, we find nice sliced fruits waiting for us when we get up in the morning as well as when we return to the suite later.

And we don't get disturbed by the doorbell, etc.

We also gave plenty of advance notice if we wanted a meal served.

As someone mentioned above, we didn't realize on our first cruise that the Butler wasn't all that great, until on the next cruise, we had a superb Butler, and it made a huge difference.

Each time, the Butlers thanked us for the early note, mentioning it made it much easier for them.

GeezerCouple

Actually if you must know I really don't care for warm peanut m'm and will pass on them when they are not cold not sure why just the way i like them when ever i buy them they come home and go straight to freezer

oh, you meant cold as in "ice-cold". Gotcha ;)

Here is a nice idea that we picked up from an earlier post here on CC a couple of years ago.

We have an "intro letter" (short) for the Butler when we first meet him/her.

(Someone had posted a sample letter they used.)

After all, the Butlers are "first meeting" everyone they'll be interacting with that next cruise, unless there are any B2B's continuing on.

So not only are they very busy that first day, but they've got to quickly learn about everyone. (HOW they remember names is astonishing, but that's another thing!)

We have our Suite number and names at the top, and then an advance thank you, and then a few "things about us" that will "help them to help us", etc.

We also gave plenty of advance notice if we wanted a meal served.

As someone mentioned above, we didn't realize on our first cruise that the Butler wasn't all that great, until on the next cruise, we had a superb Butler, and it made a huge difference.

Each time, the Butlers thanked us for the early note, mentioning it made it much easier for them.

GeezerCouple

Sounds like us :D We also have a first day letter for the Butler..has worked well for all involved! Also..had a "so so " butler first suite...then stellar ones from then on....!!! They really can make a cruise so much more special. ;)

If you have the beverage package, is the drink that you ask the butler to bring included ?

That's a tough one and you'll probably get several different responses. Technically, the answer is "no", room service is not covered under the drink package. That being said, when we ordered dinner in our suite and also requested a drink, we weren't charged for the drink. Don't know if it was because it came with dinner or the butler just worked it so we wouldn't be charged.

I would ask your butler just to be sure as it seems to vary.

If you have the beverage package, is the drink that you ask the butler to bring included ?

Rather than put your butler in an awkward position, just go with the "rules" which disallow room service cocktails. You can pay for it, or pick it up yourself. You could ask the concierge what his/her instructions for the butlers are in this situation. We've always been told it's not allowed.