On the Escape!

Lily815

I emailed nonstop the entire cruise, even emailed pictures to people. I uploaded pictures to Facebook and also Photobucket right from the ship. No issues with email at all. We mostly communicated with FB Messenger or iMessenger. For FB Messenger, we used the voice option to speak 2 times each day to our son. We did this the entire transatlantic with no issues. We also video-chatted with him via Facetime app. I wouldn't simply assume it isn't going to work for you.

I have not had issues either. It's slow, and I wouldn't be using it as much as I am now if I didnt have the unlimited package, but it's certainly working.

I was in 14286. All of the angled balconies are the same cabin size as the rest of the balcony cabins, and all angled are identical to one another. Some will have bed near balcony and others will have bed near the closet. Ours had bed near the balcony (which we don't really like, but whatever.)

That's interesting, because on the deck plans, it appears 14288 is larger, but not 14286, which looks like it's just before the "angle-out." That's good to know, more options in booking. Thanks!

That's interesting, because on the deck plans, it appears 14288 is larger, but not 14286, which looks like it's just before the "angle-out." That's good to know, more options in booking. Thanks!

I corrected this post earlier in the thread. I had my numbers transposed - we were in 14268 not 14286. Again, sorry for all the confusion I caused. :o

Wow you were lucky. We had the unlimited internet and could not log in many times. It took forever to load pages and could not send emails many times. Glad it worked for someone.

So,,, this is our 6th NCL cruise this year. We always get an unlimited package to keep tabs on work. I agree that there is something wrong with the set up on the Escape. It keeps dropping out and taking 5+ min to log into a notably slow service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At Margaritaville now. They are informing people that there is a 2-hour wait. We put our name in. I will report back with how long the actual wait was.

At 12:30 the wait time was 90 min. We decided to go to the buffet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I've read here on the Everything Escape thread is that Royal has the exclusive contract with that VROOM provider, and the extra satellite capacity for NCL doesn't currently exist. So there wasn't anything that could have been done to match Quantum's internet speed. Hopefully the satellite provider that NCL does use will be adding that capacity in the near future.

How can a brand new mega ship like the Escape not have high speed internet? What other corners are they cutting?

wait times will improve as time goes on, I think - once the staff get in a groove and can better predict crowds, etc...

I think so, too. On the TA, we only had 3 nice days, and that's when everyone tried to go. On the current sailing, they also only have 3 days, so everyone is trying to go. I'm interested to see what happens when the regular sailings get going. Then again, if it's only open sea days or something, it might be the same issues.

How can a brand new mega ship like the Escape not have high speed internet? What other corners are they cutting?

No corners cut. They are contracted with a satellite internet provider that apparently hasn't put a new satellite into orbit yet. Each line has contracts with different providers. LargePizza had no issues whatsoever on her TA cruise on the Escape last week. I am hopeful to have the same experience when we are on her next week. We can't wait :)

Because there isn't higher speed to have. There are only a few (maybe only 2, not sure if the others have launched yet) high bandwith low latency satellites commercially serving the Caribbean and RCCL has them under contract until sometime in the 2020s. NCL cannot buy what is not there nor can CCL who would love to have them too.