Thinking Reflection? If over 50, think carefully

PSCruiser

I'm 56. I have heard music from the 60s-70s-80s for to many years now. It is time to move on to the 90's to what is playing now. Music is not free (Royalties). I'm sure the more up to date the music is the higher the cost to the cruiseline.

The way royalties for public display of music works, is a company known as ASCAP/BMI generally handles it.

In hospitality environments for playing pre-recorded music it's basically a fee per person based on venue capacity, it isn't tracked to individual songs played. You get a site license.

Rules will be different for live music by a band or on a stage or incorporated into theatrical type performances.

But the "Muzak" stuff you hear in public spaces piped thru speakers, is just a simple flat license.

We were on the Reflection 2 years ago, and loved it! I don't remember the CD's name, but he was young and FABULOUS. He put in an afternoon show on a sea day, in which the 4 main singers chose their own material (show tunes mostly), no sets, just chairs, the voices and the orchestra. My favorite event of the cruise! I hoped it would become a regular thing - I guess not.

We're going again in November (yes, we're over 50), with another couple we convinced to come with us. Specifically chose Reflection because it's my DH's favorite ship. Hope it stays that way!

It would seem after reading all the reviews in this chain that quite a large number of cruisers on this exact same cruise had a total difference of opinion from the OP. Several reviews indicated there was music from many ranges available. I will be cruising on Refection in January and I was concerned the music would be too low key or old school with Jazz and quartets etc.

If the CD was rude there is no excuse for that but it is worth mentioning that I have witnessed many times someone being labelled as rude for merely stating reality and not being able to give what is demanded of them.

I am looking forward to some lovely music from Celebrity but agree something for all should be available if the demographics require it.

It would be the same if a small group demanded loud club music from let's say the jazz band or CD in an inappropriate setting. They would have to be told that wasn't possible.

We were on Reflection in Sept 2014 and we are both in our 50's and thoroughly enjoyed the music at the Martini Bar it was nice to have abit of life in the evenings to enjoy yourselves. There were older people there as well enjoying themselves the music was from 50's all the way through to present day.

I think some people need to realize that music and bands change often on cruise ships. Just because you cruised last week doesn't mean the music will be the same this week, forget months and years ago. We've always enjoyed Reflection's music offerings but things may have changed. We'll see in February.

IMO, bands make up in volume what they lack in talent.

So true, I asked a friend of mine what what his band did did when a instrument went out of tune during a set ...His reply was, "We just make it all louder!"

Really hoping they relocate bands by our cruise at the end of Jan:(

Mike

I've been noting the loud, obnoxious (and I'm sorry....it's obnoxious) for some time. I like all kinds of music (except Rap) and appreciate that there are lots of people to please when it comes to music. But when it's so loud you can't converse to fellow passengers as you walk onto the ship, etc. it's simply not enjoyable.

I have an upcoming cruise on Reflection and will spend 90% of the time relaxing at the Sunset Bar. Then it will likely be our last Celebrity cruise. Pretty sad. Wishing Celebrity luck with their direction.

Oh...I've sailed with this CD before (two years ago) and it doesn't sound like the attitude has changed one bit.

As long as the ships are sailing full, Celebrity can do whatever they please. And we can choose to sail other lines. Seems to be perfectly fine with them.

Is this the band LAX, you're speaking of?

Yes. The lead guitarist, drummer and girl on keyboards are still there. The two other girls arent (although the dark haired one was for part of the TA), and theres a different bass player.

Posted this on another thread about Alexander Y. as CD on the Reflection, and it may be helpful here, too. Our experience was quite positive.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48278471

I took the time to read your other post, and don't doubt your sincerity at all.

However, I don't think your experience is sufficient to judge a CD or other aspects of a cruise. I admit, all cruises are great, however having cruised almost 40 times previously, I know how excellent a cruise can be, and have high expectations.

I think even your comment about treatment of Jamie hints that you also see a problem.

I don't expect perfection from a CD. What I do expect is that the CD acts as though EVERY guest is important, not just those that fit his "cool and contemporary" vibe.

Once you have sailed with a truly excellent CD like Richard Spacey or Clo O'Connor you will see the difference.

I've spent more money over the years in RC/X than I care to think about, and I won't settle for just being "blown off" by Alexander and company.

I took the time to read your other post, and don't doubt your sincerity at all.

However, I don't think your experience is sufficient to judge a CD or other aspects of a cruise. I admit, all cruises are great, however having cruised almost 40 times previously, I know how excellent a cruise can be, and have high expectations.

I think even your comment about treatment of Jamie hints that you also see a problem.

I don't expect perfection from a CD. What I do expect is that the CD acts as though EVERY guest is important, not just those that fit his "cool and contemporary" vibe.

Once you have sailed with a truly excellent CD like Richard Spacey or Clo O'Connor you will see the difference.

I've spent more money over the years in RC/X than I care to think about, and I won't settle for just being "blown off" by Alexander and company.

SO let's get specific.

you're on a crusie with Alexander, you say you want vocal singers in sky lounge on first formal night, and I tell Alexander I want a DJ and dance music there. What should he do, put a curtain down the center of the room? Guest number 3 says they want Karaoke up there. Now what?

The CD sets the tone for a crusie, and makes decisions, and won't make everyone happy. He's had lots of complaints in these boards over the years, and still has a job, so he must be getting lots of praise from non-cruise critic folks on the ships.

I sailed with Alexander last year his sidekick was Lilly if I recall.., I think he was on my Sillie caribbean sailing, it may have been my transatlantic this spring on connie...but think it was silly. I liked him he knew how to get a party going. My only comment was, find a tailor and get your suits fitted....

My favorite CD is Sue Denning, and I've had several that were bad, Alexander is in the top 30% to me anyway,.

Edited by cle-guy

SO let's get specific.

you're on a crusie with Alexander, you say you want vocal singers in sky lounge on first formal night, and I tell Alexander I want a DJ and dance music there. What should he do, put a curtain down the center of the room? Guest number 3 says they want Karaoke up there. Now what?

The CD sets the tone for a crusie, and makes decisions, and won't make everyone happy. He's had lots of complaints in these boards over the years, and still has a job, so he must be getting lots of praise from non-cruise critic folks on the ships.

I sailed with Alexander last year his sidekick was Lilly if I recall.., I think he was on my Sillie caribbean sailing, it may have been my transatlantic this spring on connie...but think it was silly. I liked him he knew how to get a party going. My only comment was, find a tailor and get your suits fitted....

My favorite CD is Sue Denning, and I've had several that were bad, Alexander is in the top 30% to me anyway,.

Well, you said it............... "He's had a lot of complaints in these boards over the years". What other CD has similar? Not that I've noticed.

You sound like a guy that demands results. What would be your response to being flat-out told "no" on a cruise several times because of CD's policy?

Well, you said it............... "He's had a lot of complaints in these boards over the years". What other CD has similar? Not that I've noticed.

You sound like a guy that demands results. What would be your response to being flat-out told "no" on a cruise several times because of CD's policy?

I'd just assume he's doing his job and move on to another venue. Frankly I'd never approach the CD and tell them how to do their job knowing the number of variables that are involved in planning activities. I've never asked a CD to change things up for me, I just roll with it, knowing not everyone will ever be happy, it's just impossible on a cruise ship.

I see people complain about Sue Denning which for the life of me I can't understand ("It's all about her" "she's a washed up singer" for example). I see them complain about them all actually. And I see lots of complements even Alexandro has received compliments in this and other threads.

Some people just will never be satisfied, and I feel sorry for those types of folks.

Interesting we are the late forties demographic and our first cruise was on the Royal Princess ,the MUTS screen was loud enough to make your ears bleed.

Eclipse 14 day Caribbean cruise was the complete opposite ,it had a nice vibe and overall the music selected was a broad selection from classic harpists to Miami style club deck party.

We have however "jumped ship" again and have an Azamara cruise booked because we like the itinerary and the fact that we could not get a big suite on a S class ship at the time we needed to travel.

Music is like food a very subjective thing .Excessive volume however if bothersome it takes the enjoyment out of entertainment.

Thanks for sharing your insights with us. I hoped the loud music issue was gone, but with all the recent reports, it seems to be back again. Definitely not what we prefer - but it is what it is. Along with changes like evening chic, there's little doubt that Celebrity is transitioning into a product focused on younger cruisers - which is bizarre, as they currently tend to skew towards older guests. I'm all for them wanting to *add* younger cruisers to the mix. That makes strong business sense. However - Why they feel a need to do a 180 degree turn in their mindset, is puzzling.

When it comes to entertainment - I wish Celebrity would figure out a way to cater to everyone. Believe me, it can be done ! We just sailed on Royal Princess, and their entertainment is miles ahead of Celebrity, as they have a huge (and wonderful) entertainment presence, with something for everyone. Their strategy makes perfect sense to me. We enjoyed the entertainment so much, that we booked another sailing at the last minute, and are returning to Royal Princess next week. My plan was to sail on Equinox, but we couldn't make it happen. While I'm very disappointed not to be sailing with Celebrity, we enjoyed our last Princess sailing, and looking forward to sailing on Royal Princess again.

Who knows ? Maybe Celebrity's strategy will work, maybe it wont - but with everything going on in the world economically and otherwise, If I were President for a day ? I'd never be willing to take such a big risk at this point in time. I sincerely hope Celebrity knows what they are doing, and it works out in their favor.

I echo exactly what the OP says - having just gotten off of the REflection today.

We were so disappointed in the music/party scene. L.A.X. was simply AWFUL - exactly as described in the original post. Heck - I like drums and Rock, having been a D.J. and a Drummer. I was thinking maybe it was just my age (60's), but on my snorkel trip, there were two 40's couples complaining about how awful L.A.X and their choice of music was. And not just L.A.X. There was Electronic Music every night also permeating the ship. ANd there was no consistency in who was in which venue. It really was more like being in a Disco than aboard an Ocean Liner!

We look forward to having a drink in a quiet venue before or after dinner. No way on this ship! A total lack of sophistication. The noise from the lobby permeated the ship. Even in the Embassy Lounge, where there was some softer music, you could hear the music coming from the lobby, competing with the duo or guitar player. I thought it was so odd to be in the ship's Library and be blasted by the boom boom boom of that awful drumming. Even on the TV - The Navigation Channel had Hip-Hop and Electronic music as the background music.

It is clear that the demographic Celebrity is looking for is the 30's - 40's crowd. Despite some really great service, I doubt they'll be seeing me again, as I am just not the type of cruiser they are looking for.

If it helps, I'm in the mid Gen X range, I went to raves when I was younger, and I can tell you I STILL don't want to hear loud thumping music on my cruise. Sounds pretty ghastly.

I also wonder if they realize swing dancing has made a resurgence among younger, hip folks. People in their 30s and 40s also listen to streaming music services like Spotify, giving them access to all historical music all the time. I have younger colleagues who love, for example, the Beach Boys as a result.(So do I, even though all their most iconic hits happened well before my birth.)

Know who listens to pop music? Teens and twenty somethings who can't afford cruises.

Why am I doing your market research?

And finally, so they can hear me over the thumping bass: IF YOU WANT YOUNGER, MONIED FOLKS YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO GUT YOUR IT DEPARTMENT AND START OVER.

Edited by perditax

Hmmm. I'm early 40s--41--and last year I thought the music was very restrained for lack of a better word. I actually went up to DJ TX or whatever the initials are because he always seemed slightly miserable. Long story short, he wanted to let it go and really unleash his music/talent but, he said, he could not. I was disappointed because despite my age, I love EDM/house/"Miami DJ" music.

That being said, I would not like this LAX band and if they were there last year, I'm glad I missed them. Will avoid like the plague this go around.

There has to be a happy middle ground here somewhere........no?

In defence of LAX, and many other cruise bands.

Because musical tastes are so widespread and varied, it is impossible for a band to cater for everyone. if the band is not playing music you like, it's only human nature not to like them. From talking to some members of LAX, I know they would like to play a more varied set, but they are under orders.

Ship DJ's have the capacity to satisfy far more tastes because they have it all on a hard drive, but in their defence, they have to play the styles the CD dictates, which can limit things drastically.

Trying to satisfy 3000 people all at once is mission impossible, but please bear in mind it's not always the band that is at fault.

If it helps, I'm in the mid Gen X range, I went to raves when I was younger, and I can tell you I STILL don't want to hear loud thumping music on my cruise. Sounds pretty ghastly.

I also wonder if they realize swing dancing has made a resurgence among younger, hip folks. People in their 30s and 40s also listen to streaming music services like Spotify, giving them access to all historical music all the time. I have younger colleagues who love, for example, the Beach Boys as a result.(So do I, even though all their most iconic hits happened well before my birth.)

Know who listens to pop music? Teens and twenty somethings who can't afford cruises.

Why am I doing your market research?

And finally, so they can hear me over the thumping bass: IF YOU WANT YOUNGER, MONIED FOLKS YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO GUT YOUR IT DEPARTMENT AND START OVER.

You should probably do a little deeper market research. I'm 45 (46 in March), I have Sirius radio in my car, my top stations are the Pop station, top 20 station, BPM and the Electronica station. I occasionally go back to the 90's channel, and like Venus.

I don't mind the issues with the website, I have learned not to bang my head by doing the same thing over and over. I don't get out of joint if I can't print an express pass or order luggage tags, because these things aren't important for anything, it can be sorted at the pier easy enough, and saves me the time of doing it myself. I don't bother with procures planner at all other than to get an ida of what to do and instead handle it on board if I need.