Please help!

Hi all:)

I'm new to this board, but not new to cruising. I've done 11 cruises on Disney, and want to try RCL.

I'm having a hard time deciding on what ship to pick because this is so new to me.

My choices are:

B2B on the Freedoom

B2B on the Allure

Oasis then Allure

Freedom then Allure

The Allure and Oasis are out of FLL and the Freedom is out of PC.

The 1st cruise would be my DH, my 2 boys ages 8 & 6 and myself.

The 2nd cruise would just be my boys and I.

Prices are very similar believe or not between the Allure and Freedom, so cost of the cruise isn't a factor at this time.

For the first 3 or 4 days pre cruise we will be staying on Disney property. I'm fine with the drive to FLL as I've done it when we've sailed out of Miami with the Disney Wonder.

Since this is my first time with RCL I could really use your expertise/advice!

Thanks so much!

Cheers:)

First of all, welcome to cruise critic! This is a wonderful place, don't let a few people tarnish your feelings about this place. What great options!

A couple of quick thoughts B2B on Freedom gets you more ports. Oasis then Allure gets you different shows, but likely would be a repeat of the same ports.

B2b on Allure gives you more ports, less than Freedom though) but the same shows.

Freedom then Allure sounds like a great cruise adventure to me, but creates some logistics for someone from Ohio, but perhaps not for you? I haven't followed Freedom vs Allure to see if this would both be eastern or western. I THINK, but don't know, as of 2016 Freedom does Eastern when Allure does western, but with Allure just getting back from Europe that may change. Oh, Freedom is moving next year, when were you thinking of sailing? You might already be looking at Freedom out of Port Everglades?

I'll be interested in the replies and what you choose.

Edited by BillOh
typing too fast to be the first response :)

First of all, welcome to cruise critic! This is a wonderful place, don't let a few people tarnish your feelings about this place. What great options!

A couple of quick thoughts B2B on Freedom gets you more ports. Oasis then Allure gets you different shows, but likely would be a repeat of the same ports.

Thank you for the welcome:)

You're so right! I never realized that if I did the Oasis then Allure I would be doing 2 Eastern cruises. I love Western cause of Cozumel, so thanks to your help I've just eliminated the Oasis/Allure combo!

Yes, Freedom would get me more Ports, another bonus! My boys love the look of the Allure and all the bells and whistles. I've been on all 4 Disney ships, but I have no idea how the Fantasy or Dream compares to the Freedom or Allure in regards to size.

I've also read the Freedom feels more "crowded" then the Allure. Can you comment on that by chance? I've also been told their is more to do on the Allure especially since I was considering doing 14 nights vs 7.

I'm so torn lol

B2b on Allure gives you more ports, less than Freedom though) but the same shows.

Freedom then Allure sounds like a great cruise adventure to me, but creates some logistics for someone from Ohio, but perhaps not for you? I haven't followed Freedom vs Allure to see if this would both be eastern or western. I THINK, but don't know, as of 2016 Freedom does Eastern when Allure does western, but with Allure just getting back from Europe that may change. Oh, Freedom is moving next year, when were you thinking of sailing? You might already be looking at Freedom out of Port Everglades?

I'll be interested in the replies and what you choose.

Sorry, I missed reading the last part of your message...

I'm sailing next March 2016. The Freedom would be Western and Allure Eastern. I'm travelling from Toronto Canada, so I'm flying. Flights are similar in price no matter what airport I fly into or fly out of.

My big concern is the Freedom and Allure are in port the same days, so I would walk off the Freedom from PC and have to get to the Allure at FLL on the same day. I'm wondering if that would be too stressful?

Allure is newer than the Oasis but they are about the same of everything. Too bad you couldn't go on the Harmony of the Seas . It is coming out in 2017. It will have water slides. We sometimes don't even get off at any of the islands.

To me it is the same thing over and over. And everything is from China. I am sure the kids would rather just stay in the pools.

We are taking our grandson on the Oasis in Feb. so we are excited about it.

He is 11 years old. He might not want to go with grandparents in a few short years so now is the time.

We don't take the tours off the ship due to expense and too short of time to enjoy it any way. It is always hurry and get it done and get back to the ship.

Have fun . Both ships are fun to be on and I hope your kids and my grandson

will feel the same way.

Thank you for the welcome:)

I've also read the Freedom feels more "crowded" then the Allure. Can you comment on that by chance? I've also been told their is more to do on the Allure especially since I was considering doing 14 nights vs 7.

I'm so torn lol

I can always comment, though some others may have more valid opinions for you. You are going in March with kids, I am assuming this is spring break. We cruise after spring break and its just my wife and I. We have never felt crowded on Allure or Freedom, but as empty nesters traveling without kids we tend to do "a" while many of the families are doing "b" You may find either of them more crowded than me since there will be a lot of similar cruisers on board at that time.

As for getting from Port Canaveral to Port Everglades, I have no experience having never done 2 consecutive cruisers. Others will have experiences and recommendations. Find the North American homeports section of this forum and ask there, I'm sure someone has done it. If it can be worked out logistically, it sounds like a fun adventure. Certainly a no -lose situation.

Edited by BillOh

That would most certainly be too stressful for me, especially with two young children! I would think that Allure for two weeks would be your best choice. That way your boys could enjoy all those bells and whistles!

That's what I was thinking as well, but the unknown is what gets me, and that's why I came here:) I would also have to get a rental etc to get me to the Port in FLL.

This may help in people's responses if they see the prices...

Allure- 7 night for 2 adults/2 kids with a balcony room is $5026 Canadian + $300 onboard credit

Allure- 7 night Central Park view room for 1 adult/2 kids $3900 + $200 onboard credit.

I wanted to keep the same room for both cruises, but thought saving money was more important so I am willing to move rooms.

Freedom- 7 night balcony room 2 adults/2 kids is $5056 + $300 onboard credit

Freedom- 7 night outside room (room with porthole) 1 adult/2 kids- $3800 + $200 onboard credit.

I was shocked with the prices being pretty much the same!

We sailed Freedom last year and even though it was full, the only time it seemed crowded to us was when they had the parades down main street (and then it was a zoo). But this is one of the things your boys will likely enjoy so overall I never felt more crowded on Freedom than other ships. And what a great ship for Boys those ages!!!!

Sorry, I missed reading the last part of your message...

I'm sailing next March 2016. The Freedom would be Western and Allure Eastern.

For what its worth, I have done Freedom western twice, and Allure Eastern twice, I'm more than willing to share my opinion, they both bring back great memories.

Allure is newer than the Oasis but they are about the same of everything. Too bad you couldn't go on the Harmony of the Seas . It is coming out in 2017. It will have water slides. We sometimes don't even get off at any of the islands.

To me it is the same thing over and over. And everything is from China. I am sure the kids would rather just stay in the pools.

We are taking our grandson on the Oasis in Feb. so we are excited about it.

He is 11 years old. He might not want to go with grandparents in a few short years so now is the time.

We don't take the tours off the ship due to expense and too short of time to enjoy it any way. It is always hurry and get it done and get back to the ship.

Have fun . Both ships are fun to be on and I hope your kids and my grandson

will feel the same way.

Thank you for your comments!

We're actually considering Harmony of the Seas for next Oct/Nov 2016 or 2017. We usually cruise twice a year.

I tend to stay on the ship as well at some ports especially if I've already been to them, and enjoy the ship with less people! We usually do our own thing, but I have down excursions through Disney and enjoyed them. We actually just got off the 14 night Panama Canal cruise on Friday, and had such an amazing time! We did no Disney excursions and did all Ports on our own.

I'm sure your Grandson will have a fab time! I give my boys a few options as to what they want to do on our vacation and they alway pick a cruise

That would most certainly be too stressful for me, especially with two young children! I would think that Allure for two weeks would be your best choice. That way your boys could enjoy all those bells and whistles!

That is probably a good point, especially if you can arrange to have the same cabin for both legs. When people are having the stress of packing and leaving, they can have a leasurly day.

I can always comment, though some others may have more valid opinions for you. You are going in March with kids, I am assuming this is spring break. We cruise after spring break and its just my wife and I. We have never felt crowded on Allure or Freedom, but as empty nesters traveling without kids we tend to do "a" while many of the families are doing "b" You may find either of them more crowded than me since there will be a lot of similar cruisers on board at that time.

As for getting from Port Canaveral to Port Everglades, I have no experience having never done 2 consecutive cruisers. Others will have experiences and recommendations. Find the North American homeports section of this forum and ask there, I'm sure someone has done it. If it can be worked out logistically, it sounds like a fun adventure. Certainly a no -lose situation.

We're cruising March 6th and 13th. March 13th is our March Break, but I believe your Spring Break is later if I'm correct?

Do share...please!!! Ask me anything Disney, but when it comes to RCL, im lost!

My two grandchildren are 2 months and 2 years, so maybe in 5 or 6 years, we will try it.

This is my Freedom review from last May.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2204722

And my Allure 2013 one. http:// http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1839936

Told by a mid 50's empty nester who likes to put things in reviews nobody else has and there is no references to the kids activities. But lots of pictures!

Edited by BillOh

We sailed Freedom last year and even though it was full, the only time it seemed crowded to us was when they had the parades down main street (and then it was a zoo). But this is one of the things your boys will likely enjoy so overall I never felt more crowded on Freedom than other ships. And what a great ship for Boys those ages!!!!

That's great you had such a great cruise!

What makes the Freedom a good ship for boys my ages? Do they have lots of activities? My boys LOVE to dance...do they have dance parties etc??

I would book the B2B on Allure or B2B on Freedom. I'm lazy on vacation so I wouldn't want to pack up and move to another ship. Same ship and try to book the same cabin/s. Even if you're unable to book the same cabin the cabin stewards will move your stuff to the new cabin. Since you'll be without your husband on the 2nd leg that will be more convenient and less of a hassle for you. Plus your check in for the 2nd leg is all done thru a special process by RCCL that morning.

I've been on the Allure and it's an amazing ship. Your kiddos will thoroughly enjoy it. And you will love the Solarium when your kids off in the kids program.

Edited by cynt

My two grandchildren are 2 months and 2 years, so maybe in 5 or 6 years, we will try it.

They will love the Disney ships! I got hooked after my first one, but being Canadian means Disney is beginning to price me out! With the exchange rate I can't justify the prices of their cruises. RCL I can pay in Canadian dollars and save thousands! Plus, we want to switch it up and try something new!

I would book the B2B on Allure or B2B on Freedom. I'm lazy on vacation so I wouldn't want to pack up and move to another ship. Same ship and try to book the same cabin/s. Even if you're unable to book the same cabin the cabin stewards will move your stuff to the new cabin. Since you'll be without your husband on the 2nd leg that will be more convenient and less of a hassle for you. Plus your check in for the 2nd leg is all done thru a special process by RCCL that morning.

I've been on the Allure and it's an amazing ship. Your kiddos will thoroughly enjoy it. And you will love the Solarium when your kids off in the kids program.

Thank you!

If I book the B2B on the same ship, so they have me walk off and then walk back on again? On Disney we walk off, check back in and then get back on the ship before anyone else.

This is my Freedom review from last May.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2204722

And my Allure 2013 one. http:// http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1839936

Told by a mid 50's empty nester who likes to put things in reviews nobody else has and there is no references to the kids activities. But lots of pictures!

Excellent! Thanks!

I'm gonna read these tonight!!

We're cruising March 6th and 13th. March 13th is our March Break, but I believe your Spring Break is later if I'm correct?

Spring break in the US varies by region and whether you are talking high school and/or college. We already travel around our anniversary May 2nd and found quite by accident that it is after all the spring breaks and before schools let out for the summer.

I've sailed Liberty and Oasis (sister ships to Freedom and Alure.) I vote: B2B on Allure since you are sailing with kids. The Allure has more bells & whistles than Freedom. In fact, it is difficult to do it all in one week. Two weeks will give you time to relax. The shows are the same, but you can see them all over the 2 week period and let's face it, kids love seeing the same show over and over, don't they? You will have different ports and lots of ship-time.

The same ships will allow you and the boys and easy transfer day, no changing ports, getting used to a new ship, etc. Go Allure!

Koohiichan

We've done 10 Disney cruises, and ~30 on RCL. As for Freedom, we've never found it to feel crowded. Freedom compares most closely to Fantasy in size and capacity. Freedom is larger (160,000 GT vs 129,600GT)and has significantly more public space. Both Fantasy and Freedom sail each week with approximately the same number of passengers (~4,200). The pool deck on Freedom has a total of five pools (one's a "lazy river" circular pool in the kids splash zone), Even the smallest of the four regular pools is larger than the largest of Fantasy's pools. Add to that the FlowRider surf simulator on Deck 12, and the two cantilevered hot tubs, and there really is no comparison between the two ships. The splash zone is easily twice the size of the kids zone on Fantasy. To go from Freedom Class to Oasis Class is about the same jump in space and amenities as going from Fantasy to Freedom - add another 40,000GT, another 2,000 passengers and a few more pools, but still never a crowded feeling. For us, Fantasy never felt uncrowded.

I've sailed Liberty and Oasis (sister ships to Freedom and Alure.) I vote: B2B on Allure since you are sailing with kids. The Allure has more bells & whistles than Freedom. In fact, it is difficult to do it all in one week. Two weeks will give you time to relax. The shows are the same, but you can see them all over the 2 week period and let's face it, kids love seeing the same show over and over, don't they? You will have different ports and lots of ship-time.

The same ships will allow you and the boys and easy transfer day, no changing ports, getting used to a new ship, etc. Go Allure!

Koohiichan

Thank you for your advice! Great advice!

Funny thing, we don't always go to the shows, but the ones on the Allure sound great and very different from Disney. I do love being able to relax and getting to know the ship without feeling rushed. The Allure is huge, so I'm sure I still won't see it all if I do the B2B.

I wanted to keep the same room for both cruises, but thought saving money was more important so I am willing to move rooms.

People who have done this say the room stewards help with this and it is certainly easier than getting off and back on another ship.