Carnival Changes Policy on Over-the-Door Organizers and Other Cruise News

LauraS

I think the terminology that carnival uses is confusing. "Fire retardent materials" actually means a material that retards or inhibits a fire. Like the contents of a fire extinguisher or the stuff that they drop out of planes on a wildfire.

I am guessing that they actually mean flame resistant. I am kind of a new cruiser so I don't know what all you use to decorate. But there are flame resistant fabrics. Plus I would think that a teacher oriented store would have those kinds of decorations. As far as the over the door thing....not sure maybe one designed for a college dorm.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

bummer. I love the dollar store decorations that I have put up that I am sure are not flame retardent. Its a fun tradition. I leave in 2 weeks and will be bringing my over the closet door shoe hanging organizer that I put 90% of my choki in. Will be interesting to see what happens with the room steward. Maybe the extra tip I give her/him at the beginning of the cruise will leave my organizer unscathed.:D

This I can understand them putting a stop to, but the in the cabin ones I think are silly.

I agree with the others who posted previously and have stated that in case of an actual fire there's so many things that are in the cabin that are not fire retardant I just don't see how it matters. To me, my over the door organizer is part of my luggage. Mine is a foldable one with zippers and it buttons closed to easily fold into your luggage and prevent spills of shampoo etc. I will continue to bring it, but if asked to take it down, I will. I, like others have said don't see how it's more of a risk than all my clothes that I pack are...

We also have luggage-type organizers. Will the stewards just ask us to remove them -- or will they discard the organizers if they find them hanging in the room? I'd hate to lose my nice organizers & their contents!

• 2 weeks later...

Irony: no non-flame resistant decorations, but gallons and gallons and gallons of alcohol on the ship.:eek: Not to mention, towels, clothing, paper napkins, etc... I rarely see more than a handful of decorated doors when I cruise. I think this rule is silly. I certainly understand caution where fire at sea is concerned, and most of the Carnival rules regarding fire safety are prudent, but this one? I dunno. Maybe I'm overlooking something...

I'm guessing it's a Fire Code requirement. I have a daycare and cannot hang things from the ceiling unless it's flame resistant or has been treated making it flame resistant. Doesn't matter that we have carpet, things on the wall, toys, etc. It has to do with things close to the ceiling and flames spreading up & over your head.

Buy a bottle of the flame resistant spray & pretreat your stuff that you plan to hang that you think might be banned. Maybe bring the spray with you to show you've treated it. (Or an empty bottle if you're flying or whatever) You can get a bottle on amazon for about $20. A light misting is all it requires.

Soon after the new policy was posted, requiring that decorations and such must be fire retardant, I asked John Heald on his FB page how would the ship's staff be able to determine if something was fire retardant. ( I'm not sure if over-the-door organizers are labeled as such.) He said he'd ask "the beards" about it and get back with me. I can understand the part about restricting where the cabin door decorations are placed, but I don't understand why they must be fire retardant. If, God forbid, a fire should break out, I don't think a few decorations are going to make that much of a difference. What about the furniture in the rooms? The drapes, the bed sheets, the carpeting, the daily Fun Times, our clothing, etc.? There are a lot more things than door decorations to worry about.

I totally agree. What about all the spa, watch sales, liquor sales, etc flyers they include in the Fun Times every single day. Are those fire retardant? I highly doubt it.

On our Alaska cruise on the Legend last August, I put up my door decorations and my hanging organizer on the bathroom door. No one said a word.

I plan on doing the same on my upcoming Thanksgiving cruise. We'll see how that goes.

I totally agree. What about all the spa, watch sales, liquor sales, etc flyers they include in the Fun Times every single day. Are those fire retardant? I highly doubt it.

On our Alaska cruise on the Legend last August, I put up my door decorations and my hanging organizer on the bathroom door. No one said a word.

I plan on doing the same on my upcoming Thanksgiving cruise. We'll see how that goes.

On the Vista now and we're just discussing this topic, in view of all the paper that is distributed in the cabins. We were joking about decorating the cabin doors with all the carnival spa ads, auction flyers and Funtimes to see what they would do! LOLOL :D:D

On the Vista now and we're just discussing this topic, in view of all the paper that is distributed in the cabins. We were joking about decorating the cabin doors with all the carnival spa ads, auction flyers and Funtimes to see what they would do! LOLOL :D:D

Make an airplane with em and throw them down the isles.;)

• 1 month later...
bummer. I love the dollar store decorations that I have put up that I am sure are not flame retardent. Its a fun tradition. I leave in 2 weeks and will be bringing my over the closet door shoe hanging organizer that I put 90% of my choki in. Will be interesting to see what happens with the room steward. Maybe the extra tip I give her/him at the beginning of the cruise will leave my organizer unscathed.:D

so.....how'd it go??

On the Vista repo, many cabins has different door decorations without problems. We had chosen to not do any based on the policy change, so we're a little surprised to see everyone else's.

We used an over the door shoe holder in the back of the bathroom door and it was just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Off the Miracle on the 26th, we also had no problems with the door decorations and our organizer that hung over the bathroom door.

We also had another cabin in our party that had no problem with the door decorations, which were removed on the last night.