Celebrity Suites the Step Children of the Fleet

CHEZMARYLOU

My upcoming CS featured two nights in a specialty restaurant included, and that's what I better be getting when I embark the Summit in April. I have the documentation to prove it, which I will take with me.

Honestly, the anxiety X has cost me with their "Modern Luxury" BS has made me decide that April's sailing will be my last. I have sailed Seabourn in years passed for less than the cost of CS or RS (I've had both on X), so guess who will be getting a returning patron next year?

Seriously, if we can afford these suites, why worry about $200 more dollars? Sure, it can be upsetting, but to cause you anxiety? I try not to every let $200 cause me anxiety.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

You realize, nothing has really changed for you? You admittedly got a "really good deal", what's not to like? I do understand the feeling of being "burned" we have a few CS booked, we _may_ have considered a Sky Suite, but we love that cabin on M-Class and would have a hard time swapping down to a SS, and actually consider going up to the RS too.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

My point was that i could have bought a SS for our next cruise for far less money and received all the same perks. The space was not why we booked a CS it was the perks. A SS would have worked for us but didn't buy one as we wanted the perks, now i paid more money for a cabin with no real value to me. Yes it has more space but i don't consider that of real value to me. Just because I got a good deal at the time doesn't mean I don't feel ripped off now.

If i can find an alternative that fits the time frame we will likely change to a different cruise line. If i can't we will keep the upcoming one because it fits in with other plans already made but it will be the last one on Celebrity.

My point was that i could have bought a SS for our next cruise for far less money and received all the same perks. The space was not why we booked a CS it was the perks. A SS would have worked for us but didn't buy one as we wanted the perks, now i paid more money for a cabin with no real value to me. Yes it has more space but i don't consider that of real value to me. Just because I got a good deal at the time doesn't mean I don't feel ripped off now.

If i can find an alternative that fits the time frame we will likely change to a different cruise line. If i can't we will keep the upcoming one because it fits in with other plans already made but it will be the last one on Celebrity.

But you've lost nothing, your price hasn't changed, and you still got everything you paid for. It seems like you're cutting off your nose, to spite your face. You were happy with what you got 3 days ago, because someone else now has what you paid more for (a better deal?) you're upset...

This happens ALL the time. Buy a car, someone gets a better deal and more free stuff the next day, airline tickets, don't even go there? Even clothing stores offer freebies and perks that change by the day. Online, free shipping one day, not the next.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

And people get ticked when they miss a deal, but does anyone pony up extra money when they find their prices increased?

It's the same argument about early bookers getting ripped off and later bookers getting bottom basement fares.

A solution for most people is to cancel and rebook a sky suite, quite simple really. Sure there are some who can't because of UK rules, or a sailing is sold out, but there are alternatives. But truth is price of sky suites have increased from ehe people booked.

You actually gave third more space which is half the square footage of a regular cabin with the same increase in your balcony. On average for a 14 night cruise a SS is around £6,000 and a CS is £7,500. The extra cost is £1,500 which is an extra 25%. That actually is a good deal on the basis of plain Sqft/ £ as far as I can see.

A SS costs £20 per Square foot and a CS is £18.75.

It is only a good deal if the extra space is important to you. The savings of 1500 means more to me than the extra sq ft. so therefore the per sq foot cost comparison is irrelevant to me. I don't want less than a SS in size but really don't need more. Once we reached that size the total cost becomes more of a consideration than the per sq ft cost.

And people get ticked when they miss a deal, but does anyone pony up extra money when they find their prices increased?

It's the same argument about early bookers getting ripped off and later bookers getting bottom basement fares.

A solution for most people is to cancel and rebook a sky suite, quite simple really. Sure there are some who can't because of UK rules, or a sailing is sold out, but there are alternatives. But truth is price of sky suites have increased from ehe people booked.

That only works in e US. We lose deposits if we do this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is only a good deal if the extra space is important to you. The savings of 1500 means more to me than the extra sq ft. so therefore the per sq foot cost comparison is irrelevant to me. I don't want less than a SS in size but really don't need more. Once we reached that size the total cost becomes more of a consideration than the per sq ft cost.

A sky suite is $1100 pp cheaper on my 7 night reflection sailing next Novmeber versus Celebrity suite (the difference was $1000 pp before this announcement). So you have decided Michael's club alone was worth $2200 but are upset that $1500 extra for square footage is too much?

You are still ahead of the game here. I also say it's suspect that anyone would say $2200 is the value they place on Michaels club access. For extra space, especially when traveling with more than 1 person, yes. for someone who likes to host gatherings, in suite, yes.

Edited by cle-guy

As I acknowledged in my post and this will affect a very minimal percentage of overall cruisers. You'd have to be UK, didn't use a US TA, booked a CS. That's a tiny percentage of people and a lot of qualifiers.

Since there will be 3 adults on our party, I am inclined to book the Royal Suite in our future cruise with Celebrity. I have researched the cost if we book two rooms or one room with other lines. But in the end I found Celebrity to be much better for us.

But you've lost nothing, your price hasn't changed, and you still got everything you paid for. It seems like you're cutting off your nose, to spite your face. You were happy with what you got 3 days ago, because someone else now has what you paid more for (a better deal?) you're upset...

This happens ALL the time. Buy a car, someone gets a better deal and more free stuff the next day, airline tickets, don't even go there? Even clothing stores offer freebies and perks that change by the day. Online, free shipping one day, not the next.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Actually i was not happy 3 days ago with what i have but that is a different thread. I didn't get everything i paid for as i paid for Luminae 3 times per day and that was gone on our last cruise, i paid for access to MC for a limited number of people and that is gone and i paid for access to the MC concierge for a limited number of people and that is gone so no I am not getting what i paid for.

I don't actually need a lecture on how satisfied i should be with what i got. I guess unless you are happy with how Celebrity screws you don't bother to post on the Celebrity board as your opinion is not valid.

Actually i was not happy 3 days ago with what i have but that is a different thread. I didn't get everything i paid for as i paid for Luminae 3 times per day and that was gone on our last cruise, i paid for access to MC for a limited number of people and that is gone and i paid for access to the MC concierge for a limited number of people and that is gone so no I am not getting what i paid for.

I don't actually need a lecture on how satisfied i should be with what i got. I guess unless you are happy with how Celebrity screws you don't bother to post on the Celebrity board as your opinion is not valid.

If you're not happy, then you should cancel. Research shows, happiness comes from experiences, not "stuff". Part of the happiness of experience is the anticipation of the experience and the memories of that experience. If you're not getting a good experience and the anticipation isn't bringing you happiness, best to just cancel.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Seriously, if we can afford these suites, why worry about $200 more dollars? Sure, it can be upsetting, but to cause you anxiety? I try not to every let $200 cause me anxiety.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Where are you getting $200 from? If it was from my post, you left out a zero...

Where are you getting $200 from? If it was from my post, you left out a zero...

I believe the value of your missed specialty dining that you complained about being gone ($50 per person, 4 meals assuming a long cruise), although there is no actual verification that perk is gone.

Luckily you are already in A Sky, so nothing needs done on your part, so of the very limited number of folks impacted, we can even remove your reservation from that figure.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48281126&postcount=145

Thanks Steve. I haven't seen the LP on any of the wine lists over that past few years.

Have you managed to get a cabin yet for February? At here us still nothing in any of the suites nor in Aqua. I had been watching the suites to see if I could jump to CS to get into Michael's but I don't need to worry now. I can stay in my S1 and get in there.

I believe the value of your missed specialty dining that you complained about being gone ($50 per person, 4 meals assuming a long cruise), although there is no actual verification that perk is gone.

That is how I got to $200. That is the _Most_ that has changed, of course, besides letting the riff raff (those that paid less for a lowly sky suite) in to the hen house, hence making people who paid $2000 more for a CS who are now upset they paid $2000 to access MC that now realize they paid too much?

Funny thing about perks, they can and do change.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Strongly disagree with your premise. CS are priced for what they are - full suites. Take away the fluff like booze and specialty restaurants, they are still full suites. Luminae is great, the two free specialty restaurant bookings are great, Michael's is great, the butler is great, the extra room is great. Just enjoy!

I suspect the two posters here doing all the lecturing will be singing a different tune when they find themselves waiting on a long line at the MC concierge, or having fifteen minutes go by and realize you haven't been able to place an order yet, or producing a Seapass card every time you enter because you're still not recognized even after three days....

I look forward to the reviews following the rollout.

Edited by Constance331

I suspect the two posters here doing all the lecturing will be singing a different tune when they find themselves waiting on a long line at the MC concierge, or having fifteen minutes go by and realize you haven't been able to place an order yet, or producing a Seapass card every time you enter because you're still not recognized even after three days....

I look forward to the reviews following the rollout.

I cruise in just over three weeks, so i think the cruise just before the new rollout, but either way, I don't see it as a problem.

I've seen two servers in Michael's Club when it is busy, Celebrity adjusts. I've been one of 500+ Elite or high captian's club members onboard, the Captain's Club hostess still did a great job and knew many names, including ours. I'm on vacation, and patient. I travel often, (more than 200 days per year) and have lounge access with hundreds of others, it works out just fine.

Either way, NO ONE has experienced how Sky Suites will impact Micheal's Club. This is VERY similar to all the ranting people had about problems Luminae would cause in the MDR. In fact, except for entering right at the beginning of a set dining time, Luminae seems to have had little impact on the MDR experience. Jumping to conclusions is like fire, then aim. Feel free to come back in a few months and say "I told you so" but until then, worrying about it will get you nowhere.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

That is how I got to $200. That is the _Most_ that has changed, of course, besides letting the riff raff (those that paid less for a lowly sky suite) in to the hen house, hence making people who paid $2000 more for a CS who are now upset they paid $2000 to access MC that now realize they paid too much?

Funny thing about perks, they can and do change.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Hmmmmm, riff raff. Never thought of myself as riff raff.[emoji12]

Hmmmmm, riff raff. Never thought of myself as riff raff.[emoji12]

Sorry, hoi pol·loi better? :D

Honestly, we enjoy suites, but love to socialize with folks from all over the ship. Sailing in a suite is just a choice we make, work hard, play hard. It means nothing more.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Luckily you are already in A Sky, so nothing needs done on your part, so of the very limited number of folks impacted, we can even remove your reservation from that figure.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48281126&postcount=145

Actually we booked 4 cruises for Feb and Mar 16 and 17 with a b2b each time originally in AQ with hump rooms. When the suite program was announced I changes all 4 of these into S1 rooms at the back. Since then I switched the second leg of the Feb 16 cruise on Silhouette to a CS and I also switched he first leg of 2017 - 14 nighter - to a CS so this does actually apply to two cruises I have upgraded to CS.

I thought I had learned my lesion of making my mind up when I book rather than mess about afterwards but this shows that sometimes that does not work.

I do have two CS rooms booked that I cannot change without losing deposits which I did switch from S1 suites. In terms of the number of people from the uk in suites in the Caribbean you are correct but I am very affected by it, although I am relatively happy about the cabins I am currently in.

The access to Michael's is a pleasant bonus.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

My issue is not with letting Sky Suites into MC. I was in a SS and my sister in a PH, and they let our family staying in the SS into Michaels most definitely because they were in the PH. It was on the Constellation, and the place was empty most of the time. I highly doubt they will add much if any staff to MC, and if this is the case I see the exclusivity of MC getting diluted.

This is my issue. We've been to MC a few times on different ships and they know our names, what we enjoyed as a drink and the Concierge had time to socialize with us and make us feel like a priority. This all gets diluted with the introduction of SS. The service will not be as good, as it just can't be if they don't add staff. Then this leads me to believe that the premium drinks will not be as premium and perhaps cut the bar hours to 5-8 as more of a social hour. Time will tell, but I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off, I just feel more like I'm getting a product that will become more watered down when we stay in a higher suite.

Exactly, and nothing has been taken away from anyone, just some people are upset they will have more people in their private space. 2 days ago everyone was happy with the fare paid for their cabin, now some are upset for no real reason than someone else just got a an advantage they couldn't take advantage of. It boils down to nosing in on someone else's business.

I welcome SkySuites to Michaels, I suggested this change a year ago.

Not true I am now having $2000+ taken away from my bank account when I now discover a sky suite would have met my needs. There is nothing the CS gives us that is worth that money and an S1 is in a better location and has a better bathroom/shower arrangement

And I'm being advised to move I have to lose offer perks because that's how X treat UK guests

Totally sucks, the OP is right, particularly for those who have booked already believing they needed to pay extra for Michaels this is a very raw deal indeed. Modern luxury...no is modern Dick Turpin robbery

Not true I am now having $2000+ taken away from my bank account when I now discover a sky suite would have met my needs. There is nothing the CS gives us that is worth that money and an S1 is in a better location and has a better bathroom/shower arrangement

And I'm being advised to move I have to lose offer perks because that's how X treat UK guests

Totally sucks, the OP is right, particularly for those who have booked already believing they needed to pay extra for Michaels this is a very raw deal indeed. Modern luxury...no is modern Dick Turpin robbery

But you were going to pay the money anyway, before the change, no? Or, was Michael's Club really worth a worse bathroom, worse location, and $2000+ ? You seem to have decided it was before, I am not sure what has changed.

Happy sailing,

Jenna