Security boarding ?

hlsess

There are holes in cruise ship security, compared to air travel. But access to the ship is strictly controlled, luggage is scanned, the list of passengers and crew is sent to the authorities, etc. If you compare this to trains or hotels in most places, where there is no access control — anyone can get on or go in anonymously, carrying guns or bombs or whatever — I would consider a cruise ship to be relatively safe. But the most anyone can really say is "so far so good" and it is a given that terrorists would love to attack a cruise ship, and I have to assume that they are actively planning ways to do it at this very moment. Infiltrating the crew (or recruiting current ship employees) would be an obvious place to start, and I have no doubt they they have already started. :(

Once cruise ship passengers are off the ship, and visiting a port in big groups, they are an easy target for attacks, as we saw last March in Tunis. I'm not suggesting cruise ship passengers are specifically at risk: All large groups of tourists, in fact all large groups of people anywhere can be targets these days.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

There are holes in cruise ship security, compared to air travel. But access to the ship is strictly controlled, luggage is scanned, the list of passengers and crew is sent to the authorities, etc. If you compare this to trains or hotels in most places, where there is no access control — anyone can get on or go in anonymously, carrying guns or bombs or whatever — I would consider a cruise ship to be relatively safe. But the most anyone can really say is "so far so good" and it is a given that terrorists would love to attack a cruise ship, and I have to assume that they are actively planning ways to do it at this very moment. Infiltrating the crew (or recruiting current ship employees) would be an obvious place to start, and I have no doubt they they have already started. :(

Once cruise ship passengers are off the ship, and visiting a port in big groups, they are an easy target for attacks, as we saw last March in Tunis. I'm not suggesting cruise ship passengers are specifically at risk: All large groups of tourists, in fact all large groups of people anywhere can be targets these days.

I think you are spot on on this subject.

BTW, thoughts and prayers go out to you and your countrymen and women.

At NYC, it's airport x-ray machines for bags and walking through metal detectors plus getting searched by the wand. Then you do the final check-in/setting up your onboard account, the 1st one is even before x-ray/metal detectors, where you have to have your documents out to even prove you belong there in the 1st place and everything looks legit/good.

At least the atmoshpere at port is more joyful and not business as usual at places like Times Square or Grand Central subway; where they randomly pick anyone to be searched at the table while SWAT Teams and/or National Guard are nearby with their machine guns. *Shrug*

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

For ships returning, if the threat level in the US is increased again, debarkation could become a more lengthy experience. We've had this happen twice. The usual 20 or 30 minute trip through customs became about a hour and half experience. So, for right now, I wouldn't book flights that are early. And, additionally, the airport TSA screening could become lengthier.