Countdown to Koningsdam begins

cshim

Well, my own 'countdown' is running.... perhaps another week or ten days. I completed a one large painting for the ship and now working a large painting of the ship herself. The first change I had to two weeks ago... change the logo on the side of the funnel! Once these paintings are finished they are going to Oslo for framing and then down to the yard. Meanwhile.... I'm heading off on a 35 cruise in the Caribbean... on Saga Sapphire! :)

Stephen

Well, my own 'countdown' is running.... perhaps another week or ten days. I completed a one large painting for the ship and now working a large painting of the ship herself. The first change I had to two weeks ago... change the logo on the side of the funnel! Once these paintings are finished they are going to Oslo for framing and then down to the yard. Meanwhile.... I'm heading off on a 35 cruise in the Caribbean... on Saga Sapphire! :)

Stephen

I do wish you could sail on Kdam with us in Nov 2016. I'm looking forward very much to seeing your next art!

Edited by sppunk

Nov 23 - Southern Caribbean Wayfarer 11 day. I'll buy ya a Tamarimd dinner and all the Wang Wangs you can handle!

Wang Wangs? How about "Samoan Fog Cutters"?

I'll keep that date in mind.

But before I start the Wangs or the Cutters... I have to finish this KODM painting!

It is getting closer and closer and time has a way of moving fast. I look forward to being on this ship next December. I will see if I like it. It will be different. I remember when the Zuiderdam came out and all the negative remarks about the ship. I sailed on it the following June and found it "different". I eventually got used to it and have often sailed the Vista class ships and the stretch version: The Signature Class, which I also like. So it will be interesting to see the changes in this new type of ship.

Booked for 1/8/2017 Eastern Caribbean.

This is my first HAL cruise and first on a "new" ship.

Can't wait for April when the reviews start pouring in. Everything about this ship seems elegant and tasteful.

Stephen

Where will we find your painting onboard? We will be on the Christening cruise and would like to see it.

Thx!

Where will we find your painting onboard? We will be on the Christening cruise and would like to see it.

Thx!

Well done!

There will be eight paintings in the forward stairwell.... paintings saved from the STATENDAM and RYNDAM. There will be two new large paintings in the 'Captain's Corner'... ports side... Crow's Nest. Carefull 'Wet paint'!

Well done!

There will be eight paintings in the forward stairwell.... paintings saved from the STATENDAM and RYNDAM. There will be two new large paintings in the 'Captain's Corner'... ports side... Crow's Nest. Carefull 'Wet paint'!

A few weeks ago on the Westerdam a group of us were wondering what happened to the art from the retired ships. Glad to hear some of your work will find a new home on the Koningsdam!

Good question!

My paintings will go to new ships.... that will keep that tradition for many years I hope.

As for the rest of the collection? Who knows. I don't know if anything from STATENDAM or RYNDAM has been hanged... doubtful as the décor is quite different. What about the leaping dolphins? A lot art from these ships were worth well over $1 million each... back then. For sure some things can be used on the new ships... but I think a lot will go for auctions. We have to think that a lot of the art on these ships came from auctions houses... most in Holland.

Stephen

Good question!

My paintings will go to new ships.... that will keep that tradition for many years I hope.

As for the rest of the collection? Who knows. I don't know if anything from STATENDAM or RYNDAM has been hanged... doubtful as the décor is quite different. What about the leaping dolphins? A lot art from these ships were worth well over $1 million each... back then. For sure some things can be used on the new ships... but I think a lot will go for auctions. We have to think that a lot of the art on these ships came from auctions houses... most in Holland.

Stephen

The captain on Ryndam, when asked in august, said that most, if not all of the art would go off the Ryndam when they visited Venice on the way to Singapore.

He said that indeed art and artefacts would be redistributed for new build(s) because the Venice stop was conveniently close to Fincantieri, or stored for the time being.

By the way, I am glad to read that we will be able to see the Ryndam paintings again during our sailing in April, just to be sure, I videotaped the Ryndam paintings when I sailed her in august this year :-)

Edited by Alphen

The captain on Ryndam, when asked in august, said that most, if not all of the art would go off the Ryndam when they visited Venice on the way to Singapore.

He said that indeed art and artefacts would be redistributed for new build(s) because the Venice stop was conveniently close to Fincantieri, or stored for the time being.

By the way, I am glad to read that we will be able to see the Ryndam paintings again during our sailing in April, just to be sure, I videotaped the Ryndam paintings when I sailed her in august this year :-)

Did the voyage out to Singapore out 'empty'? I can't think the passengers would be happy of the ship was 'cleared out' at Venice? I would guess.. send things back in containers. I hope!

Edited by Topsham

Well done!

Many thanks for this info. We are really looking forward to seeing your work!

Hey the link finally works again!

And that video tells us absolutely nothing and was shot probably in September. On the ball wth the release!

Way to go for putting a damper on things.

Just nice to know what is going on. Ah well, won't bother next time.

Way to go for putting a damper on things.

Just nice to know what is going on. Ah well, won't bother next time.

Please don't think I was/am putting down you or commenting on anyone posting this video. I'm actually very glad you did!

My comment is specifically aimed at HAL's internal communications team. Please, keep posting when they post 'em. :)