Is it OK to use walkie talkies?

CruiseMAMA2

Can anyone explain how these offer security? If your kids are hanging out with a bad element, do you think they're gonig to tell you? If they've gotten in real trouble, do you think the bad people are going to let them use them? All that will really happen is that the bad person will know how long it is before you start looking for the kids. Setting your kids free in a ship of thousands of rooms (with doors and locks) and thinking that a walkie-talkie is improving their security seems silly. Teaching your kids about risks and, I don't know, spending your holiday with them seem better ways of supervising.

Schplinky:

I didn't post that quote, I was quoting someone else, I am in agreement with you.

I don't have kids. We use the radios occassionally on the ship, but not often. Never in the dining room or theatre. We travel with other adult couples and since we don't share rooms leaving messages in the room on post it notes doesn't work, leaving them on the door, some rugrat will remove them. Calling peoples cabins when they are taking a nap is rude and inconsiderate. If they have the radio on that means that they want to be contacted. It provides freedom and the ability to communicate, and frankly I don't give a .... if Danno approves or not. :p

They are invaluable while in port, and they do provide security by giving you a way to make contact with someone else in an emergency. Sometimes when in a foreign port they are your only way to communicate quickly and effectively.

jc

and frankly I don't give a .... if Danno approves or not. :p

jc

Thanks for making my point....I do care if my actions affect others...maybe courtesy is another thing NCL will try to rid itself of...imagine the huge demographic of rude people that haven't cruised yet $$$$!!!!

I think some of these lines would have stripper/hooker/biker theme cruises, if they could sell one more cabin.

blusry,

"I listened to the marketing manager at NCL discuss the topic above in depth, and he talked about freestyle dining, relaxed dress codes and more choices for the newer cruisers. Some that want to cling to the past have little in the way of firm footing to stand on.

We took our first cruise in 76 aboard the Mardi Gras, a old Carnival vessel when all they had were two ships"

Thanks for that wonderful insight! Now we know where you feel comfortable cruising and where, obviously, your 'style' is welcome. I hear they have some great specials right now for past passengers. Why not take a look-see. I'm sure they''l be glad to have you! And I do hear NCL's new ship is terrifif (?). Happy NCL sailing!

BTW, I wonder about a parent who can't find his own daughter in a deck chair without a walkie talkie. Spend a lot of time with these kids do you? Little trouble remembering what they look like without a cell phone/walkie talkie glued to their ears?

And I do here NCL's new ship is terrific! Happy NCL sailing!

Thanks for making my point....I do care if my actions affect others...maybe courtesy is another thing NCL will try to rid itself of...imagine the huge demographic of rude people that haven't cruised yet $$$$!!!!

I think some of these lines would have stripper/hooker/biker theme cruises, if they could sell one more cabin.

Actually, your rudeness is pretty high on this topic. Not that I mind that one bit.:D I don't cruise either Carnival or NCL, although I did take a carnivore cruise one time before I knew better. However, as a libertarian, I will respect your rights, but I will not allow you to take my rights away. Got it, bucko.;) :D After that, we are just left with your rudeness, don't you really want to respect the members of the forum and let them follow the rules of the cruiselines which do not restrict the use of radios. :rolleyes:

jc

"BTW, I wonder about a parent who can't find his own daughter in a deck chair without a walkie talkie. Spend a lot of time with these kids do you? Little trouble remembering what they look like without a cell phone/walkie talkie glued to their ears?"

Tuggers

I wondered the same thing when I read that.

Danno, if you are considered rude than I want to be like you when I grow up. Being considerate of others is a great way to live.

I listened to the marketing manager at NCL discuss the topic above in depth, and he talked about freestyle dining, relaxed dress codes and more choices for the newer cruisers. Some that want to cling to the past have little in the way of firm footing to stand on.
[Note: the "you" in this message is broader than it appears -- don't take it too personally]

What is it about Celebrity's marketing strategy that you and others just don't get?

In an attempt to differentiate itself from other lines to some degree, Celebrity has chosen to keep or put into place certain policies that effect the overall shipboard experience. Celebrity clearly believes that the market for their idea of the cruising product will attract a sufficient number of guests to make their business. If a potential cruiser's idea doesn't match Celebrity's idea of the product, it certainly isn't in Celebrity's best interest to lose their differentiation and bend to the whims of the least common denominator, whatever that may be.

Therefore, Celebrity has NO interest, and neither SHOULD it have any interest, in assisting passengers to change their product into something else. In truth, I think they'd probably be well served by making their policies even clearer and being a bit more proactive in requesting compliance.

NCL believes they can get a chunk of the market with their approach, Celebrity thinks they can get a chunk with their approach, and other lines have their own strategies to do the same.

This isn't a cultural war, folks, it's JUST PLAIN business. If it bothers you, you really DO need to be on another line. There's bound to be one out there that matches your expectations for a good cruise experience such that you're not working at cross purposes with the line's attempt to create the experience they're after. Why do you expect a company to ruin their business strategy by changing their rules to suit you?

I listened to the marketing manager at NCL discuss the topic above in depth, and he talked about freestyle dining, relaxed dress codes and more choices for the newer cruisers. Some that want to cling to the past have little in the way of firm footing to stand on.
[Note: the "you" in this message is broader than it appears -- don't take it too personally]

What is it about Celebrity's marketing strategy that you and others just don't get?

In an attempt to differentiate itself from other lines to some degree, Celebrity has chosen to keep or put into place certain policies that effect the overall shipboard experience. Celebrity clearly believes that the market for their idea of the cruising product will attract a sufficient number of guests to make their business. If a potential cruiser's idea doesn't match Celebrity's idea of the product, it certainly isn't in Celebrity's best interest to lose their differentiation and bend to the whims of the least common denominator, whatever that may be.

Therefore, Celebrity has NO interest, and neither SHOULD it have any interest, in assisting passengers to change their product into something else. In truth, I think they'd probably be well served by making their policies even clearer and being a bit more proactive in requesting compliance.

NCL believes they can get a chunk of the market with their approach, Celebrity thinks they can get a chunk with their approach, and other lines have their own strategies to do the same.

This isn't a cultural war, folks, it's JUST PLAIN business. If it bothers you, you really DO need to be on another line. There's bound to be one out there that matches your expectations for a good cruise experience such that you're not working at cross purposes with the line's attempt to create the experience they're after. Why do you expect a company to ruin their business strategy by changing their rules to suit you?

Well said...but they won't get it...gauranteed you are going to get a "get a life" :p ...I don't even understand what that means?? I think it's an insult, but I don't know why it would be??

Well said...but they won't get it...gauranteed you are going to get a "get a life" :p ...I don't even understand what that means?? I think it's an insult, but I don't know why it would be??

I think the implication is that you should get a life and stop dwelling on petty things. That said, this is being said by someone who is also actively engaged in the debate. IT's hypocritical.

I think the implication is that you should get a life and stop dwelling on petty things. That said, this is being said by someone who is also actively engaged in the debate. IT's hypocritical.

You are right on that one. Hey .......dude, one question. It's 140 days until which ship? Just so that I can cross that one off the calendar:D

Phil

It isn't supposed to be 140 days it is around 170 I think. It is the Summit to Hawaii. So, everyone can cross that one off their list. Happy?

Ok. Lets get down to business. I completely agree with blusry. What is the use arguing over something that people will do reguardless of these comments? Yes, I do see my children. And they see me...So, as a result. They can ahve freedom on a huge ship, without seeing me until dinner comes around. BTW...Why aren't we yelling at people who talk loudly in cell phones, at dinner, on land? They talk really loudly. They bother you...They inturrupt things, so isn't this the same type of idea with cruising? I am confused then. Why it is a big deal on a cruise but not in the middle of everyday life? You may be thinking, that is because it is every day life. The purpose of the walkie talkie is to have a system in case any of my children are in trouble. Now, yes, if any child was knocked out playing basketball or is injured on a deck, someone with common sense, and people who use curtousey towards other people, would pick up that walkie talkie, and yell into it that there is a problem. Aren't there other things to worry about on a cruise such as:

Paying for it

Getting the right ship

Right itinerary

good service

A cruise is what you make of it. If you have a lousy time because people take chairs or talk loudly into small machines, then a cruise clearly isn't correct for you. An *ideal* cruise is supposed to be perfect, with no walkie talkies (on your cruise at least) and no deck chair saving. Well, you are sharing the boat with other people, so tough. Find something to make us angry. (The small minority who likes to save deck chairs and use walkie talkies)

You are right on that one. Hey .......dude, one question. It's 140 days until which ship? Just so that I can cross that one off the calendar:D

Phil

It isn't supposed to be 140 days it is around 170 I think. It is the Summit to Hawaii. So, everyone can cross that one off their list. Happy?

Ok. Lets get down to business. I completely agree with blusry. What is the use arguing over something that people will do reguardless of these comments? Yes, I do see my children. And they see me...So, as a result. They can ahve freedom on a huge ship, without seeing me until dinner comes around. BTW...Why aren't we yelling at people who talk loudly in cell phones, at dinner, on land? They talk really loudly. They bother you...They inturrupt things, so isn't this the same type of idea with cruising? I am confused then. Why it is a big deal on a cruise but not in the middle of everyday life? You may be thinking, that is because it is every day life. The purpose of the walkie talkie is to have a system in case any of my children are in trouble. Now, yes, if any child was knocked out playing basketball or is injured on a deck, someone with common sense, and people who use curtousey towards other people, would pick up that walkie talkie, and yell into it that there is a problem. Aren't there other things to worry about on a cruise such as:

Paying for it

Getting the right ship

Right itinerary

good service

A cruise is what you make of it. If you have a lousy time because people take chairs or talk loudly into small machines, then a cruise clearly isn't correct for you. An *ideal* cruise is supposed to be perfect, with no walkie talkies (on your cruise at least) and no deck chair saving. Well, you are sharing the boat with other people, so tough. Find something to make us angry. (The small minority who likes to save deck chairs and use walkie talkies)

You don't see your kids the whole day until dinner? Let's polish off that parent-of-the-year award for you! Your kids may not tell you certain thing, like the "cool" kids they're hanging out with, doing nasty things with, or being intimidated by. If they don't see you until dinner each day, you have no idea where onboard they are when they radio in and claim they're at the teen club. I don't know if you're ready to be a grandparent but I'm sure you'll be the first to sue the cruise line, though, if they get into serious trouble, since you had a system that required incredibly little of your parenting skills.

The reason we're not discussing land-based hospitality is that is a cruise board. Were you not aware of this? That might explain why you are unfamiliar with the fact that you are on the Celebrity board and not the NCL one. It might also explain why you don't understand that being trapped on a ship with a selfish nore is a hardship for some.

You don't see your kids the whole day until dinner? Let's polish off that parent-of-the-year award for you! Your kids may not tell you certain thing, like the "cool" kids they're hanging out with, doing nasty things with, or being intimidated by. If they don't see you until dinner each day, you have no idea where onboard they are when they radio in and claim they're at the teen club. I don't know if you're ready to be a grandparent but I'm sure you'll be the first to sue the cruise line, though, if they get into serious trouble, since you had a system that required incredibly little of your parenting skills.

The reason we're not discussing land-based hospitality is that is a cruise board. Were you not aware of this? That might explain why you are unfamiliar with the fact that you are on the Celebrity board and not the NCL one. It might also explain why you don't understand that being trapped on a ship with a selfish nore is a hardship for some.

Archived