Planning & Teenage Shore Excursions

planaholic

We're looking at planning some shore excursions but have a teenage daughter who no doubt will want to join in with shore excursions organised through the club on board.

How do you get around this problem? What happens if it clashes with an excursion you've already booked? Can you get a refund? And is there only 1 excursion that they do through the O2 club or more than one?

You say, you are coming with us.

I really don't think you will have anything to worry about. Every time I have seen the subject come up about the teen club excursions they were always cancelled due to low interest.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

We made a rule early on when we first started cruising with the DS when he was 9 (he's now 20)...he needs to be with either the DH or me or with both of us on all shore excursions. It's never been negotiable. On our upcoming cruise, if he wants to go off on his own, we'll set a specific time and place to meet about an 1 1/2 hrs. before we're to re-board so that I won't be in a panic waiting to see if he gets to the ship on time. I'll ask it of him...not demand it. I'm sure he'll be fine with it...if not...we won't be cruising together again for a long while to come. We have always, the three of us, discussed and planned our excursions for every port we've ever cruised to so he's always had a say and been happy with what's planned. We've never forced an excursion on him that he didn't want to do. We'll be planning our excursions while he's home from college for Thanksgiving and will include his friend that is traveling with us in the discussion also (it's what we've done in the past with other friends of his that have cruised with us over the years). I know my DS and if I ask him to please not be late meeting us if he decides to go off on his own...he won't be.

I've cruised with my twin teens many times- the O2 teen excursion is usually cancelled from low enrollment. Maybe- a big maybe- they might still have it during a Spring Break cruise or during the Holidays. I think it is nice that they offer it but by the time most parents hear of it their own family plans are already made.

Pretty sure they only offer 1- you will get info the first night of teen orientation. Make sure she goes to the 1st meeting on the 1st day- they do some 'ice-breaker' games to establish friends. My kids never did many of the planned activities- just used the Club as a hang-out and meeting place. From what I have read that seems to be what most do. They did enjoy the nightly dances. Some are 'themed'. Black/white Night or Backwards Night (you wear your clothes front-to-back). See if you can track down the TEEN Funtimes before you go. Haven't seen it posted very often. It will give you an idea of their schedule.

We have cruised w kids for the last 15 yrs and have always involved the kids in planning of shore excursions. We have never allowed them to go off w teen excursions. Its a family vacation, we all stay together on islands. But now that my youngest is 18 and works, she understands the value of a dollar, has cruised so many times shes familiar w islands and is just as thrilled to be cruising as we are...........I give her an island and a budget total based on how many is cruising w us. I usually cap it off at $100 pp to include tip. She is a typical internet savy teen so she is on it researching and comparing prices. She has really learned to pick carefully and usually includes lunch too. I feel she learns a lot from the lesson and its always a surprise until the unveiling the morning of. She even tells us what to wear and what we will need. Some examples she has picked for us: standup paddleboarding and snorkeling in Grand Turks, swimming w dolphins in Costa Maya, catamaran sail and snorkel in Barbados, horseback riding to the top of waterfalls in Dominican Republic and Jeep/snorkel/lunch and beer included excursion in Cozumel. We loved every single thing she has ever planned for us! You should try it! She loves being in charge too!

Edited by cruizinrican

We've been cruising with our kids for 15 years. As others have said, they usually cancel the teen excursion even if they have one. Some of our best memories have been on family excursions. We tend to leave the historical tour type excursions for when we cruise without them and pick fun active things to do as a family.

When ours were still cruising with us, we picked shore excursions THEY would enjoy.

The only time either did one with the teen group was when were on a cruise ship "private island" doing things like volleyball, etc. We always let them know where we were and had them check in from time to time.

Look forward to having a great cruise! :)