New MDR Menu

sns101098

I was on the Vision in late 2012 and they were still on the menu previous to the current themed menu now in place. At that time they were not migrating to the current menu until sometime in early 2013. If indeed new menus are in the works to replace the current menus, scarcely a three year run doesn't seem like these current menus were that big of a hit. IIRC the previous menus made a much more lengthy stand. I know I am not a huge fan of the current menus and would not mind a change ... to something that I like, that is. They could change the menus and see how many different ways they could disguise Hamburger Helper:eek:!!

:cool:Why? It seems that whenever a new menu comes out, it gets worse. Now paying extra (specialty Restaurants) for food which we used to get in MDR for free:cool:

I kind of agree with you. I'm not sure I see this as a good thing.

Time will tell.

Just finished 13 nights on the Brilliance and didn't eat in the MDR once. It was a non formal dinner trip for us so we went specialty on those nights. All other nights were in the Windjammer. I heard the food was good but there just wasn't much we couldn't get a version of on the buffet or enjoy a higher end with the specialty dining. Also being from the coast of Maine lobster is not a big deal. There just wasn't a WOW on the menu.

DH and I were also on this 13 day repo cruise. We ate one dinner in the MDR and hated it. We had MTD and were seated at a table for two right next to the hostess Desk and across from a busing station. Between the people coming in to be seated, the waiters busing the tables, and the general confusion in the area, we never went back to the MDR. We ate all of our dinners in the Windjammer and thoroughly enjoyed the peace and quiet. As far as the menus in the MDR, we checked every day and saw nothing that would entice us to go back. Many time, several of the same items were available in the Windjammer. RCCI has a long way to go on their MTD.

My friend and DD went to the brunch and galley tour on Indy last month and a menu change was briefly discussed as well. They had some foods at the brunch that are not currently on the menu so maybe that is how they are trying some of them out. I recall them talking about an incredible beef wellington they ate.

I agree regarding the pumpkin seed rolls...those are incredible!

They don't even need to just take some of the items off the menus.

Since the menu in each DD restaurant gets partially switched midway through the cruise Royal could just use the existing menus on all of its other ships.

Day 1...Americon Icon a

Day 2...Grande a

Day 3...Chic a

Day 4...Silk a

Day 5...American Icon b

Day 6...Grande b

Day 7...Chic b

This would once again make the menus across the fleet consistent and leverage the advantages that comes with that in terms of bulk food purchasing and training of staff.

I'll be the contrary one and disagree here. At least from the menus for those venues I've seen on Royal's site, I'm not wild about them. There's definitely some things that could be tweaked or changed on the current MDR menus but can I skip the paté with the my beef tenderloin in the Grande? I didn't like it when my mother made it, I doubt I'll like it when Royal's chefs make it.

I'll be the contrary one and disagree here. At least from the menus for those venues I've seen on Royal's site, I'm not wild about them.

I agree - Dynamic Dining is supposed to offer a lot of variety, but it seemed to me that they'd just taken a few basic dishes and tweaked them in a few different ways in order to put them on different menus. I was looking forward to going back to "normal" MDR menus for my next cruise.

Hope they keep the savory bites and bring back shrimp cocktail every night! I'd also love to see the cream of asparagus soup back on the menu!

I believe the shrimp cocktail is available every night now.

I recall them talking about an incredible beef wellington they ate.

fwiw, there is a beef wellington on one of the Chic menus for the Dynamic Dining ships. so maybe some of those dynamic dining dishes will get integrated into the new menus.

i for one was not a new fan of the new MDR menus (the ones from the last 3 years or so), so i'd be interested to try something new. as long as they keep the pumpkin seed rolls. we took my mom on her first cruise last august and she still talks about the rolls... :D

I believe the shrimp cocktail is available every night now.

On our Grandeur cruise at the end of October, it was only available every other day according to our waiter. It was only on the menu every other night, too.

Mary Anne

:cool:Why? It seems that whenever a new menu comes out, it gets worse. Now paying extra (specialty Restaurants) for food which we used to get in MDR for free:cool:

You're also paying the same price to cruise today as you did 5 years ago (according to Cruise F I S H prices for an average balcony cabin are currently around $200 per person per night, the same as it was in 2010), even though food, labor, and fuel costs have gone up significantly. You can't have higher costs and the same/better food and the same prices, one of those has to give. The market has spoken and told them that people would rather pay cheaper prices for food with the OPTION to pay more for better food as opposed to higher prices with better food included.

Edited by MikeBTN

My friend and DD went to the brunch and galley tour on Indy last month and a menu change was briefly discussed as well. They had some foods at the brunch that are not currently on the menu so maybe that is how they are trying some of them out. I recall them talking about an incredible beef wellington they ate.

I agree regarding the pumpkin seed rolls...those are incredible!

How do you sign up for the brunch and galley tour.... also how much pp? Brunch is our favorite meal!!

Edited by VacayVik
spelling

I agree - Dynamic Dining is supposed to offer a lot of variety, but it seemed to me that they'd just taken a few basic dishes and tweaked them in a few different ways in order to put them on different menus. I was looking forward to going back to "normal" MDR menus for my next cruise.

I'm a bit confused.... what exactly is Dynamic Dining? I have never heard of that before!