A few observations on the UBP (Ultimate Beverage Package)

GITC

Why would I do that? Especially since I can bring cans of soda aboard at a much cheaper rate. The point is when you have an ultimate beverage package, everything should be fair game within the price range of the drinks.

I was just countering the argument that "it's so cheap they should include it."

Regardless, it's not "an ultimate beverage package", it's "The Ultimate Beverage Package". Everything is fair game as outlined within the terms and conditions.

After 6 cruises with NCL we will have the UBP on our cruise in December on the Jade. However we recently took a 4 night last minute cruise with Princess out of Houston and purchased their UBP. We greatly enjoyed it, however they DID include bottled water and their specialty coffee, which I had several of each. Disappointed that NCL won't include these. I'll be posting a comparison of the two cruise lines tomorrow there were some things I liked better on Princess but not the food.

Another note princess drink prices were significantly lower -- most tropical alcoholic drinks were $8.95 versus 13 for NCL

My upcoming cruise is on ncl (my last was on celebrity) and I must say I'm quite annoyed with the bottled water issue. I'm a bit of a water snob (I drink A LOT of it) and sometimes I feel like the "tap" water on ships can have a funky taste to it. Worried I'm going to end up spending a ton of money on bottled water. Very curious to me the huge difference between the bottled water inclusions (or lack there of) between ncl and celebrity. Also, the prices to pre order bottled water for your cabin seem INSANE.

Long story short totally agree with the OP (but don't drink soda, so have no strong opinion on the cans of soda issue).

Just carry some on with you. Problem solved.

Just carry some on with you. Problem solved.

How is that "problem solved"? A huge inconvenience to haul on 24+ waters.

I was just stating that I am also annoyed / frustrated that bottled water is not included in the UBP. Annoyed as I am I am fully aware that this is the reality. I can only be hopeful that ncl will see what other lines are doing and eventually allow bottled water to be purchased under the UBP :) (Or ideally, any beverage within the allotted price cap!)

I know it's not free, but I did read that you can bring water on board which can be checked with your luggage. Just put your stateroom tag and check it at the pier. It says it will be delivered to your room. We are sailing for the first time on NCL in December and are going to try that along with Red Bull. We've been spoiled with Celebrity premium beverage package also.

• 7 months later...
On some ships you can get a can of soda if it is available. On other ships not so much. It clearly mentions fountain soda in most cases when soda is mentioned. Depending on the cabin your in, cans of soda may be included.

It's been this way since the UBP was initiated.

I have a child who is caffeine free due to a medical condition. Even though root beer is not listed on the soft drinks menu, several of the bars had cans of Mug root beer and would give home the whole can. His Pepsi swilling siblings got their cups filled.

I can see why they don't let you take bottled water ashore under the UBP. Far too much opportunity for getting bottles for all and sundry. As iced water is available anywhere onboard, I'd imagine that NCL would claim that bottled water isn't required to be covered.

Although the Keith's post is 8 months old, man is it relevant today. I never thought about this when reading all the complaints about the "crappy UBP" that

many take as a perk. Kudos

not such a "problem solved" anymore eh?? ;););)

You'll also find loads of posts on this forum where people give prices of things that have since changed, etc. Are you going to go correct all those, too? That should keep you busy for infinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You'll also find loads of posts on this forum where people give prices of things that have since changed, etc. Are you going to go correct all those, too? That should keep you busy for infinity.

nope! just this one. Since you felt the need to be snarky about it in the first place I thought you deserved a taste of your own medicine :)

nope! just this one. Since you felt the need to be snarky about it in the first place I thought you deserved a taste of your own medicine :)

Since this is a thread about definitions, would somebody mind looking up "petty"? :rolleyes:

Snarky? Most people would consider that a helpful response, but I'll be sure to use baby talk if I see you around here.

Since this is a thread about definitions, would somebody mind looking up "petty"? :rolleyes:

Snarky? Most people would consider that a helpful response, but I'll be sure to use baby talk if I see you around here.

*hits self* I keep forgetting no one on these forums has a sense of humor ;):p:eek:

*hits self* I keep forgetting no one on these forums has a sense of humor ;):p:eek:

Well, some do...when it is actually funny that is.

The bigger issue is always putting up with self-important people who spend their time trying to take other posters down a notch instead of just participating in the conversation. Gotta wonder just what it is that they're trying to compensate for. [emoji52]

Just debarked the Jade in Houston after the Transatlantic sailing from Barcelona. This was our first Norwegian and first TA sailing so had a few new things to get used to but will limit this discussion to the UBP which we had as one of our perqs.

Now I'll be the first to admit that this is a little nitpicky but it's also a little bit amusing, at least to me. Notwithstanding the fine print about the package, which I would guess the vast majority of people surely don't read, one of the first things that stood out to us was that bottled water and canned soda were not included. Being a persnickety sort, I immediately wondered about the naming and marketing of the package as "ultimate". As an adjective, it has many meanings as follows:

Now, to be certain, one can get a fountain soda or a glass of ice water from a bartender but in either case wouldn't it just be easier to provide the container that they come in? For shore excursions, which are few a far between on this particular sailing, it's also nice to be able to take water ashore and one might reasonably argue that the "Ultimate" package could/would/should include it, no? It's clearly a cost issue for the line as fountain soda and water is no doubt cheaper but the point still comes back to the name of the package.

A quick anecdote from our sailing: In the Garden Café, I wanted a Diet Pepsi with my lunch and I asked for a can. I was told politely that per company policy my UBP only allowed for a cup of soda and not the can. Fine, so that's what I ordered. The gentleman then proceeded to open a can of Diet Pepsi and poor the whole thing into a plastic cup...What am I missing? :confused: :rolleyes:

These things just struck us as strange, in comparison to some other lines we've sailed with, that these items (along with VAT which was not charged to us on Celebrity sailings) were not included in the package. Maybe the name should be "Penultimate Beverage Package" because, well, it's not quite the ultimate... ;)

One of your definitions is 'highest'.

Do NCL have a higher package than the UBP then?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I'm entirely new to NCL and am about to book a winter sailing. As others in my group are fond of adult beverages, we will choose the UBP as our group's "free" amenity. Like the OP, I was flabbergasted when I read that bottled water is excluded from the plan. Will it stop us from booking? Probably not. But it is still quite irritating to say the least and seems like cost-cutting on NCL's part.

I'm entirely new to NCL and am about to book a winter sailing. As others in my group are fond of adult beverages, we will choose the UBP as our group's "free" amenity. Like the OP, I was flabbergasted when I read that bottled water is excluded from the plan. Will it stop us from booking? Probably not. But it is still quite irritating to say the least and seems like cost-cutting on NCL's part.

It was somewhat understandable originally when UBP was priced at $49/day, but since they have raised the retail price to $79/day and at the same time added virtually nothing to the package to compensate higher price (per drink price limit has been raised but that affects very few passengers, and OTOH they have cut the wines available with UBP to only very few options).

You can get all the soda you want. What's the problem?

If you're going to quibble about the packaging, why not argue that you should be able to take full bottles of Dewars from the shop. That's a beverage, shouldn't it be included?

Edited by boatseller@hotmail.com

You can get all the soda you want. What's the problem?

If you're going to quibble about the packaging...

Not being able to get soda cans means that one can't get a can to take back to their cabin to enjoy there later - unlike on other cruise lines (Royal and Celebrity at least).

Not being able to get soda cans means that one can't get a can to take back to their cabin to enjoy there later - unlike on other cruise lines (Royal and Celebrity at least).

Right, like you can't grab a bottle of Grey Goose to enjoy later in your cabin. Still don't see the difference. It's just packaging.

Right, like you can't grab a bottle of Grey Goose to enjoy later in your cabin. Still don't see the difference. It's just packaging.

If you don't see the difference between getting a still beverage and a carbonated beverage in an open container for storing it in your cabin for even just for a couple of hours, I can't help you.

If you don't see the difference between getting a still beverage and a carbonated beverage in an open container for storing it in your cabin for even just for a couple of hours, I can't help you.

Well, I wasn't asking for help, but thanks anyway I guess...

I'm saying that the same argument folks use to be upset about cans or bottles can be used for bottles of liquor also, but no one is griping about not being able to take bottles of Mount Gay back to their stateroom.