boarding -Epic- first timer tips

hlsess

This info applies to pretty much all ships and ports.

The total time of check-in process varies greatly on the amount of other passengers in the terminal at the same time. We usually try to arrive to ports around 11am and have usually gone through the process in 30 minutes or less.

Boarding starts usually between 11am and noon, most likely around 11:30am.

Buffet is open usually immediately when the boarding starts and there is one MDR (main dining room) open from noon until 1:30pm or 2pm for much more quiet leisured sit-down lunch.

Cabins are ready only a bit later, usually around 1pm-2pm. When we have lunch in MDR right after it opens, we are usually just finished when they announce cabins being ready. They do have a carry-on storage (usually in one of the lounges) where you can check your carry-ons before the cabins are ready but usually we just have the carry-ons with us in the MDR.

Specifically with Epic's two embarkation port itinerary in Mediterranean cabins in the other embarkation port (can't remember which, either way one has more cabins changing passengers than the other) might be ready earlier as the room stewards have less cabins to clean there.

When you check in, take a look on the check in counter to see if there is an info sheet. We were surprised to find on that sheet that we were allowed, in fact encouraged, to drop off carry on bags in our cabin immediately upon boarding, even if the room was not actually ready to be occupied. We did, however, put them in the closet in case the steward propped open the door for whatever reason, we didn't want the bags in full view of passersby.

• 3 weeks later...
Look closely at your cruise documents. Epic is a long ship and may have two different boarding gates. Be sure you are dropped off at right one.

don't see which gate on documents- just has room number and forward...I'll call and check

don't see which gate on documents- just has room number and forward...I'll call and check

NCL megaships use two terminals only in Miami. Everywhere else everybody goes through the same terminal.

Edited by Demonyte

Specifically with Epic's two embarkation port itinerary in Mediterranean cabins in the other embarkation port (can't remember which, either way one has more cabins changing passengers than the other) might be ready earlier as the room stewards have less cabins to clean there.

There is only one embarkation port for the OP's cruise, everyone gets on in Barcelona. I think the multiple embarkation doesn't start up again until next April (with three different embarkation ports, but probably Barcelona will still be the primary home port with the highest passenger turnover).

As you said, there is only one terminal per ship in Barcelona. It is very obvious where you need to be dropped off.

There is only one embarkation port for the OP's cruise, everyone gets on in Barcelona. I think the multiple embarkation doesn't start up again until next April (with three different embarkation ports, but probably Barcelona will still be the primary home port with the highest passenger turnover).

As you said, there is only one terminal per ship in Barcelona. It is very obvious where you need to be dropped off.

Yes, Epic stopped embarking in Rome (Civitavecchia) until Spring so everyone will be embarking in Barcelona. Civi had only about 30% of embarkers so it was quick, but the facilities were horrible. Barcelona was a much better facility and well managed so it handled the larger amount of people easily. It was pretty straightforward where to go and I didn't see large embarkation lines.

• 1 month later...

at the port in Barcelona, is there a duty free store just before you board the Epic? Are you allowed to go back out once you are checked into the Epic to tour a bit and visit the duty free? Is liquor allowed to be purchased and brought back on board after your are checked in?

thanks

at the port in Barcelona, is there a duty free store just before you board the Epic? Are you allowed to go back out once you are checked into the Epic to tour a bit and visit the duty free? Is liquor allowed to be purchased and brought back on board after your are checked in?

thanks

You can bring WINE on board and pay the $15 corkage fee for each bottle. Spirits are not allowed, if you want a bar set up in your cabin you need to purchase one prior to sailing from the Bon Voyage department.

thanks

Yes to all. It's a small shop, but it's there yes. Right at the escalator. But liquor can be taken in by ship's security when you need to pass security on board and won't be given back until the last night. Bottles of wines are subject to a corkage fee and are allowed to be brought everywhere, the ship will even store them for you and retrieve them for you to any venue.

thanks! We were in Barcelona a few years back leaving on the Carnival Magic and folks went out into the duty free shop and brought liquor bottles back on board, hidden somewhere, since they were not taken..I imagine cruiselines are getting much more conscious of this practice. We may take a cple. bottles of wine to drink in the cabin, but not in the dining venues...thanks again

You can bring WINE on board and pay the $15 corkage fee for each bottle. Spirits are not allowed, if you want a bar set up in your cabin you need to purchase one prior to sailing from the Bon Voyage department.

Yes to all. It's a small shop, but it's there yes. Right at the escalator. But liquor can be taken in by ship's security when you need to pass security on board and won't be given back until the last night. Bottles of wines are subject to a corkage fee and are allowed to be brought everywhere, the ship will even store them for you and retrieve them for you to any venue.

A lot of lines now are giving drinks packages as a perk so I find it strange they don't want guests to bring alcohol onboard. If I'm drinking my own, I'm not drinking their's.
There are other reasons they don't want everyone to have easy access to several liters of hard liquor in their cabin. They prefer for you to do your drinking in public areas.