Ages of passengers on HAL

koss78b2

i am considering a cruise with HAL later in Sept 2016 for Alaska, would type of age groups go wit HAL i done NCL And Carnival already. just wondering as i would be a solo if i did this.

You will find HAL much more laid back than Carnival/NCL but will give you a better cruise experience to Alaska. :)

LuLu

As a solo on HAL, you will be absolutely fine. While it is true HAL has an older (generaly spoken) crowd, you'll find all ages on board. However, to give you a funny story: when I travel solo on HAL (I'm 25 atm; first solo with them 3 years ago) they always ask me if I'm part of some entertainment on board :D

So, yes, there are young(er) people on HAL, but they will be in much fewer numbers compared to NCL or Carnival.

But, a lot of these folks are very young at heart. You'll be able to engage with many very friendly people. I have cruised both HAL & NCL and I must say I found the guests with HAL more friendly, a little more distinguished. Of course that can change with every voyage. There's rude and obnoxious people everywhere, no matter where you go.

HAL also has some smaller ships and I find that you run into the same people from time to time which makes it easier as a solo to get to know people a bit better.

I don't know if you have cruised solo before, but you shouldn't worry that you'll find yourself with nothing to do on HAL during the evenings. Yes, a fair portion of the ship goes to sleep a bit earlier, but there are always people enjoying a late night something.

Edited by headhunterke

We have one of these threads at least once every two weeks.

We're all older than dirt and it's amazing how many of us can still cruise. :D :D

I'm kidding with you, OP, of course, but the point is you will find all ages on HAL ships same as most others. A very long cruise will draw an older demographic as they are the ones with the time for two or more months away.

A week or two week cruise in Caribbean or Alaska will have babies in strollers and 80+ year olds.

I always think what's the difference? Interesting, fun people are people. I really don't care their age as much as how much fun they are or how interesting.

Who are we trying to kid, most of us are older. I'm 58 and probably one of the younger ones, well at least younger looking. lol

All ages, but mostly on the older side. Our Alaska cruise in Sept was older. We head out on a 25 Day Amazon Explorer on Tuesday and suspect we may have a few more younger folks than last time. And no, it wasn't me at the Bar buying drinks for anyone in their early 50's...lol. I learned my lesson a long time ago so I developed a great personality....saves you money. ;)

It's a known fact, and also my experience, that Holland America cruises tend to have an "older" crowd, shall we say.

Yes, you can find some kids and some people in their 20's and 30's but the biggest demographic is definitely people over 55. This isn't a bad thing, but we need to be honest here.

The ship basically goes to sleep at 8 or 9. Yes, some events are scheduled at 9 or later, but if you walk around after that time it's almost like a ghost ship. Hardly anyone up.

It's not "party ship" like Carnival or NCL.

It's a known fact, and also my experience, that Holland America cruises tend to have an "older" crowd, shall we say.

Yes, you can find some kids and some people in their 20's and 30's but the biggest demographic is definitely people over 55. This isn't a bad thing, but we need to be honest here.

The ship basically goes to sleep at 8 or 9. Yes, some events are scheduled at 9 or later, but if you walk around after that time it's almost like a ghost ship. Hardly anyone up.

It's not "party ship" like Carnival or NCL.

Cruiser 4 Life

What ship did you sail in? Ship goes to sleep at 8 or 9? WHAT? That is a complete load of kak!!!!

Second dinner finished at more like 9.30 to 10.00 and then the second show is starting then. Come on. 8 to 9 at bed? Crow's Nest is usually just getting start at 11.oo. Piano Bar... just getting started as well. Ocean Bar.... OK that winds down at midnight because the other places are opening then. I have NEVER seen a dead ship on HAL ships. There is something going on if you want to party.

I started cruising with HAL when I was 29..... and 34 years later I'm still with HAL and if anything different the crowd is younger than it used to be back 34 years ago. As for other cruise lines I've sailed with.... Carnival, NCL, Home Lines, Cunard, P&O, RCCL, Chandris, Polish Ocean, Premier, Costa, Eastern, Bermuda Star Line, Royal Viking, Crystal, Saga.. total 169 cruises. Believe me... HAL is not 'dead' at all.

Rule of thumb is the longer the cruise, the older the passengers, which makes sense as how many 30-year olds can take a month off work. This is one reason HAL seems to trend to older demographics as many longer cruises.

Alaska cruises tend to attract a younger crowd as shorter and offered during school breaks. Have not seen everyone in bed at 8 or 9 on a HAL ship but do enjoy not having to sit thru belly flop and hairiest legs contests.

One nice thing about HAL is they often have events for single cruisers like lunches, etc so you can get to meet each other if you choose.

Have seen statistics about ages of passengers and the 'B' levels cruise lines, HAL, NCL, Princess, etc. had the same demographic profiles for age on equivalent cruises. You can try googling this.

sounds like fun, always great to try different cruise lines

Ah! Now you have it. No reason why you should stick with ANY cruise line... unless you find something that 'really floats your boat'! :)

All of these cruise lines will offer something for everyone. You might one that most people even think about and you get one is perfect for you.

Many times I thought I would never cruise with Carnival. Went and had a real good time and a lot for fun. The only think that I did not go for was the loud music playing everywhere. Apart from that it was good. The ships were clean and well kept. Food was good. OK... not what I want about HAL... but I would never shout down Carnival. Princess.... again... a good product. NCL... well that was the NORWAY. Enough said.

As for being single... well, you have to make your own fun. You can meet and have fun or be left alone and have a quiet cruise.

Good luck... but if you try HAL... you will probably have a good cruise.

Stephen

Rule of thumb is the longer the cruise, the older the passengers, which makes sense as how many 30-year olds can take a month off work. This is one reason HAL seems to trend to older demographics as many longer cruises.

Alaska cruises tend to attract a younger crowd as shorter and offered during school breaks. Have not seen everyone in bed at 8 or 9 on a HAL ship but do enjoy not having to sit thru belly flop and hairiest legs contests.

One nice thing about HAL is they often have events for single cruisers like lunches, etc so you can get to meet each other if you choose.

Have seen statistics about ages of passengers and the 'B' levels cruise lines, HAL, NCL, Princess, etc. had the same demographic profiles for age on equivalent cruises. You can try googling this.

I can't find the post, but I remember a year or so ago, somebody had found statistics that showed Princess had an average age one year older than HAL's average. I remember it because I have to admit I was surprised.

As you and others have said, the average age changes with cruise length and destination.

We've done 3 Alaska cruises, all with HAL.

By far, the most varied age demographics have been on those Alaska cruises. There were many multi-generational families, twenty and thirty somethings, baby boomers. The Crow's Nest was packed and rockin' every night. The Piano Bar was SRO.

What we didn't see were many elderly passengers traditionally ascribed to HAL.

In September for an Alaskan cruise, you are not likely to find multi-generational families as school has started. But if you go in July and August, you will find more children and families.

All our Alaska cruises were in May - early, middle and late month. The cruise with the fewest kids was the mid-month cruise but that cruise also had a couple of large groups with no kids. September would definitely have fewer kids.

With the popularity of home schooling, year round, and charter schools, school calendars aren't what they used to be. We never cruise in the summer or during the holidays, and I'm always surprised to see a number of school aged children on our cruises.

All our Alaska cruises were in May - early, middle and late month. The cruise with the fewest kids was the mid-month cruise but that cruise also had a couple of large groups with no kids. September would definitely have fewer kids.

With the popularity of home schooling, year round, and charter schools, school calendars aren't what they used to be. We never cruise in the summer or during the holidays, and I'm always surprised to see a number of school aged children on our cruises.

Don't forget teachers' strikes! Our September 2014 Alaskan cruise was filled with children - and no doubt teachers too - enjoying an extended break from school. :rolleyes:

Crow's Nest is usually just getting start at

Not on Oosterdam, it isn't. The Crows Nest had no entertainment at night.

i am considering a cruise with HAL later in Sept 2016 for Alaska, would type of age groups go wit HAL i done NCL And Carnival already. just wondering as i would be a solo if i did this.

Yes, HAL is most certainly an older crowd than other cruise lines. As you can see, some people get offended by that question....I'm not sure why. :confused: But it is what it is. I've cruised HAL in Europe, Alaska and the Caribbean and on all 3, we were the kids on board...and we're in our 40s. As you can see from my signature, I've had enough cruise diversity to say this from experience. :)

Edited by Aquahound

Yes, HAL is most certainly an older crowd than other cruise lines. As you can see, some people get offended by that question....I'm not sure why. :confused: But it is what it is. I've cruised HAL in Europe, Alaska and the Caribbean and on all 3, we were the kids on board...and we're in our 40s. As you can see from my signature, I've had enough cruise diversity to say this from experience. :)

That may be your experience, but our experience is that Princess has both an older and a more infirm passenger cross section than HAL. Celebrity had a slightly younger, but more obnoxious, group.

That may be your experience, but our experience is that Princess has both an older and a more infirm passenger cross section than HAL. Celebrity had a slightly younger, but more obnoxious, group.

Younger yes, but no more or less obnoxious than those on HAL or elsewhere in my experience.

When we took our first Princess cruise I was shocked to see the number of elderly passengers with walkers, wheelchairs, scooters and oxygen tanks. It was an 8 day cruise, and it was challenging trying to use the elevators since they were always full of elderly folks who could not navigate around the ship without using the elevators.

I thought it was just a one off, but our second Princess cruise (7 days) was the same. We haven't cruised Princess since then. I'm not adverse to using stairs but my knees are at the point that I generally can't do more than 3 decks at a time. Princess doesn't fit the bill for us.

Who are we trying to kid, most of us are older. I'm 58 and probably one of the younger ones, well at least younger looking. lol

I think one thing about HAL that people need to remember is YES they seem to have an older crowd but that is because they have so MANY wonderful itineraries that are longer than one week and where this age group can take the time off, and probably have the resources to take these longer cruises. I and my husband are 62 and enjoy the ports and the sights of all these different places as well as drinking beers on the areas :-) Have a great time whatever you decide to do

Edited by VacationingCharlene

When we took our first Princess cruise I was shocked to see the number of elderly passengers with walkers, wheelchairs, scooters and oxygen tanks. It was an 8 day cruise, and it was challenging trying to use the elevators since they were always full of elderly folks who could not navigate around the ship without using the elevators.

I thought it was just a one off, but our second Princess cruise (7 days) was the same. We haven't cruised Princess since then. I'm not adverse to using stairs but my knees are at the point that I generally can't do more than 3 decks at a time. Princess doesn't fit the bill for us.

There is only one way any of us will not be old one day. Most of us don't care for that alternative. IF we are REALLY lucky, we'll all be old so let's have a bit of patience and understanding if seniors aren't as hale and hearty as we were as youth. They show lots of grit and determination to get on airplanes and cruise ships and travel. It is so much easier to sit on their couch at home.

Off my soapbox but every now and then a reminder of this sort seems to be okay. Sorry for those who disagree.