Fondues

Working 2 Cruise

We had fondue on the Star in October, round trip Hawaii, leaving from Vancouver.

It was a really delicious and fun dinner. Each person chooses an appetizer and entree fondue. They had three different ones to choose from. I don't remember the exact choices but it was like one cheddar and beer, one white wine and Swiss, one champagne and another cheese. We chose the first two which is why I don't remember the third. I also don't remember both appetizers, but one was a charcuterie platter. The entree fondues came with a variety of breads, sausage and chicken breast pieces. We tried all the breads and meats with both fondues.

Dessert was fruit with a chocolate fondue.

The portions were extremely generous and we were absolutely stuffed even though we didn't finish each course because we knew more was coming.

Actual flamed sterno type cans under the pots. On the table itself.

I forgot to mention the appropriately "cheesy" aprons. There were male and female versions of alpine looks with either drindal or lederhosen. The drindals also had rather ample cleavage printed on them.

Edited by NYteacher

On the Royal and the Regal, Fondue Night is in a designated area at the back of the buffet.
Crab Shack is held on one side of Cafe Caribe on those ships with that venue (Ruby or Crown) or on one side in the back of the Horizon Court (Star or Grand). I assume that Fondues would also be held there. Don't know about the Coral or Island. Edited by IECalCruiser

We were looking forward to the Crab Shack and Fondue on the Regal 10/27-11/3 cruise. We loved the Crab Shack....plenty of food and a lot of fun. We were very disappointed with the Fondue dinner.....so little cheese in the fondue pot that it didn't even cover the bread when it was dipped. That evening there were two other couples who were not happy and spoke to the maitre d'......the staff wanted to know what our concerns were and said they liked the feedback and would speak to the chef. When they saw that we barely ate our dinner and didn't want to take a chance on dessert, they waived the $20 per person charge. We tipped our server...it wasn't his fault....and went to Alfredo's. Perhaps it was just an off night at the Fondue....we were really looking forward to a fun fondue.....like the ones we remember in Vermont and New York City. We were on this wonderful ten day cruise, and that was our only negative experience......it was a fabulous cruise! We already booked for next year....

We were looking forward to the Crab Shack and Fondue on the Regal 10/27-11/3 cruise. We loved the Crab Shack....plenty of food and a lot of fun. We were very disappointed with the Fondue dinner.....so little cheese in the fondue pot that it didn't even cover the bread when it was dipped. That evening there were two other couples who were not happy and spoke to the maitre d'......the staff wanted to know what our concerns were and said they liked the feedback and would speak to the chef. When they saw that we barely ate our dinner and didn't want to take a chance on dessert, they waived the $20 per person charge. We tipped our server...it wasn't his fault....and went to Alfredo's. Perhaps it was just an off night at the Fondue....we were really looking forward to a fun fondue.....like the ones we remember in Vermont and New York City. We were on this wonderful ten day cruise, and that was our only negative experience......it was a fabulous cruise! We already booked for next year....

This was the complete opposite of our experience aboard the Star. Every course, including the two entree fondues, was over generous to the point where we could not finish a single course. The fondues, both entrees and the dessert chocolate ones were very deep and had more than plenty.

My husband and I are both "fluffy" and quite hearty diners, so it's not simply a case of lighter appetites.

• 2 weeks later...