Live from the Anthem thanksgiving cruise: So far so bad

Cruisebaza

Awful experience so far. Huge line driving up to check in luggage. Huge line to check in within the terminal, apparently due to WiFi issues. My key wasn't there. Long lines for everything. Muster drill started 45 minutes late. But it's a beautiful ship. :) Internet and Royal iq not working well at all. And now they are charging for the wow bracelet.

On the plus side, it can only get better, right?

Was the delay mainly due to technical issues or weather related. When we sailed the Quantum in Feb. it was a cold and sleeting day and it took us some

1 1/4 hours to go the last mile. The next day it was even colder as our balcony was frozen all over. When we came back 13 days later it was even colder as the outside temp/wind chill was -10 degrees. The area around the pool looked like Wollman skating ring in Central Park. LOL. At least the cruise, except for the ship's creaking noise, was one of the best ever--enjoyed the restaurants, Rip Cord/I fly, NorthStar, bumping cars and the Mamma Mia play.

Ps. The WOW band to me was very useful, especially when my hands were full (coffee) and needed to get into the cabin. The only time that we used the sea pass card during the 13 days was when we embarked/disembarked in the many ports. To me the $5 is well worth it. Maybe they'll discount to D+.

To me the $5 is well worth it. Maybe they'll discount to D+.

Do you think it is worth waiting in line to get one?

We are not D+ or in a suite. Ours will not be free. We thought it would be. Charging for a band started after we were paid in full. Nothing we can do about it :( other than to now wonder what other charges might be forthcoming.:eek:

Do you think it is worth waiting in line to get one?

We are not D+ or in a suite. Ours will not be free. We thought it would be. Charging for a band started after we were paid in full. Nothing we can do about it :( other than to now wonder what other charges might be forthcoming.:eek:

If you enjoy the convenience and after spending so much for the cruise, yes it's worth it. The GR lines on the Quantum moved pretty fast. As someone has mentioned, initially when rolled out there was to be a charge in the $3 range. I guess things change. Again, with respect to other charges, including the WOW band, you control what charges are incurred. I also recommend that you check for incurred daily charges on your interactive tv in your stateroom

PS. As far as I know, D+ have to pay for the WOW bands.

Was the delay mainly due to technical issues or weather related. When we sailed the Quantum in Feb. it was a cold and sleeting day and it took us some

1 1/4 hours to go the last mile. The next day it was even colder as our balcony was frozen all over. When we came back 13 days later it was even colder as the outside temp/wind chill was -10 degrees. The area around the pool looked like Wollman skating ring in Central Park. LOL. At least the cruise, except for the ship's creaking noise, was one of the best ever--enjoyed the restaurants, Rip Cord/I fly, NorthStar, bumping cars and the Mamma Mia play.

Ps. The WOW band to me was very useful, especially when my hands were full (coffee) and needed to get into the cabin. The only time that we used the sea pass card during the 13 days was when we embarked/disembarked in the many ports. To me the $5 is well worth it. Maybe they'll discount to D+.

The delays were entirely technology related on RCCL's side. Nothing at all to do with weather or port security

If you enjoy the convenience and after spending so much for the cruise, yes it's worth it. The GR lines on the Quantum moved pretty fast. As someone has mentioned, initially when rolled out there was to be a charge in the $3 range. I guess things change. Again, with respect to other charges, including the WOW band, you control what charges are incurred. I also recommend that you check for incurred daily charges on your interactive tv in your stateroom

PS. As far as I know, D+ have to pay for the WOW bands.

My husband will want a band. We expected to find them in our stateroom.:(

Yes, we can control additional expenses. We always have, this will be our 12th cruise. However, to the best of our memory we have never had additional charges added after being paid in full, for things that were advertised as being part of the cruise.

Yes, the cost of the WOW band is nominal in relation to the cost of the cruise. We still wonder about the ethnics of charging for something that was advertised as part of the price of the cruise and in fact advertised as making this cruise different than many others. We understood when cruise lines started notifying passengers about passing the cost of rising fuel prices whenever the costs became effective. This hasn't effected us yet.

We started to wonder about the possibility of additional charges incurring with other things that we thought were paid for after making final payment and hope that this is not a trend.

Great advice about checking incurred expenses on the interactive t.v.

We've been doing that since this feature on interactive t.v.'s became available.

Then don't:D I wouldn't either. In fact I wouldn't wear one if they were free :) I'm actually glad they are charging for them, probably means it's less likely they'll ever become mandatory....

I was thinking the same thing. It's a nominal charge and ensures that they don't have half the ship toss them in the trash can (if they are free) and the charges for the throw-always being passed onto all passengers.

I do think that this is especially helpful for young kids, so maybe they should provide a coupon in the room redeemable for a free or discounted band for cruisers under a certain age, maybe 13 or so. I have to think young kids with a wow band would make the kids club a lot more efficient so it would seem to be in RCs interest to do this.

I'd pay $5 for an access band in a heartbeat. On an average cruise I demagnetize my setsail pass 1-2 times PER DAY and have to hike down to CS to get a new one.

I'm thankful they charge a la carte for them. Why raise everyone's price a few bucks when not everyone wants to use them?

I believe the cards on anthem are also RFID so you can't demagnetize them in the same way that you can cards on the older ships.

I hope the OP's vacation is improving.

We sail the Anthem on January 3, 2016....we are SUPER EXCITED!!!

Question: This is our first experience with the on-line Checkin. We have appt. from 11:30am - 12pm. Our transportation is scheduled to pick us up from hotel at 11am. When we arrive, are there a number of people there to do the curbside check-in? How does it work?

When we arrive, are there a number of people there to do the curbside check-in? How does it work?

Drop off your bags, go inside the terminal and look for a person with a tablet to check you in - with printed setsail pass in hand (one for each person).