Panama Canal Partial Transit

Flatland

We are booked on the Carnival Pride for Feb. 2017. The itinerary was changed from Colon port to a partial transit in the canal.

Can anyone tell me if there are any excursions to go ashore while in the lake?

For those that have gone on such before, what is offered at this time? Perhaps an on-board speaker? Thanks in advance.

Kev

We are booked on the Carnival Pride for Feb. 2017. The itinerary was changed from Colon port to a partial transit in the canal.

For those that have gone on such before, what is offered at this time? Perhaps an on-board speaker? Thanks in advance.

Kev

Interesting. We're planning to book this cruise, too, and just realized the change when you posted this.

When I went into their website and clicked on "ports of call" link, all ports were highlighted where you could click & check excursion, but Panama Partial Transit has no link so I'd guess we're actually going into part of it. That would be fantastic.

When we went to Colon, Panama, several years ago, we went on an excursion to Gatun (?) where we could watch ships going into the canal.

Cruise lines that do partial transits have several excursions from Gatun Lake. Guests are tendered ashore to join the excursion - there are no independent excursions. The ship then transits back through the Gatun Locks and picks the passengers up in Colon. You might ask on the Panama Canal forum here, under Ports of Call, so see what types of things are offered. This will give you an idea, until Carnival actually posts excursion. EM

We've done this on a sister line and it worked like this: We entered the Canal quite early in the morning, sailed through the Atlantic side locks to Gatun Lake. They docked there to offload people who had chosen to do a ship's excursion. People could take a trip through or along the rest of the canal, visit a native village, etc. You had to take a ship's excursion; there were no facilities for private tours. The ship retraced its path through the locks and docked at Colon to pick up the tour people. There was also time to get off and look around the port, but not really time to go anywhere.

I think you'll really enjoy the canal experience. Have fun.

Kev

Where does the cruise start from? Does it come back to the same port? (closed loop).

Never mind.. Got my answer..

Edited by navyvet8395