emergency contacts

PTAngel

My DH suffered a gall stone attack last week. I leave on Saturday on GOS for 10 day cruise in WC. He has an appointment on Wednesday with a surgeon. I know they can't remove the gall bladder before I leave. The doctor said he should be fine as long as he watches his diet. After I get back, he will likely have the surgery. My question is how can I be contacted if he has to go into the hospital before I get back? Would it be better to leave my cell phone on airplane mode so I can receive a text message or give him a phone number to contact the ship. I won't be able to fly back home but I would like to know so I can contact DS to check on DH. Because the doctor said he should be fine with watching his diet I don't feel too upset about leaving. He tends to exaggerate & would like me to stay home.

My DH suffered a gall stone attack last week. I leave on Saturday on GOS for 10 day cruise in WC. He has an appointment on Wednesday with a surgeon. I know they can't remove the gall bladder before I leave. The doctor said he should be fine as long as he watches his diet. After I get back, he will likely have the surgery. My question is how can I be contacted if he has to go into the hospital before I get back? Would it be better to leave my cell phone on airplane mode so I can receive a text message or give him a phone number to contact the ship. I won't be able to fly back home but I would like to know so I can contact DS to check on DH. Because the doctor said he should be fine with watching his diet I don't feel too upset about leaving. He tends to exaggerate & would like me to stay home.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Extras&faqId=267&faqSubjectId=337&faqType=faq

Thanks, Bob. You are so quick to answer any questions. I do appreciate it.

I would also turn on the cell phone periodically to check for messages, Keep cellular data off and you should not be charged unless you send or receive a text or phone call. Note that listening to voicemal messages counts as a phone call.

You can not receive text messages when you are in airplane mode.

Actually you can. If you have an iPhone, and the sender has an iPhone you can get iMessages (Text messages between 2 iPhones), but you would need to purchase a data plan on the ship for that to work.

If you both don't have "i" devices, you would have to leave it off airplane mode, thus leaving your phone wide open to incoming calls/texts (not recommended.).

Otherwise, if you don't have an iPhone, you could have them email you, and you could check your email periodically with your smartphone, tablet, laptop or the ships computers - but you would have to buy some sort of internet package through the ship.

Again, leaving your phone on on the ship is NOT recommended. if you decide to do this, turn off Data Roaming, which will cut off all emails, data, AND iMessages (So if you have an iPhone you will not get texts from other iPhones while data roaming is off). Not turning off data roaming will cause all of your aps to continue to update and download events, etc and will be come very costly fast.

Sorry to be so long winded. Just be careful otherwise you may end up spending a lot more money then you intended on the next phone bill you get.

If u and your hubby are on face book u can keep in contact via face book messenger if u have a data package on the ship u can also receive texts via what's app and viber I left my phone on airplane mode for the cruise but had my wifi turned on but had arranged with my phone providers in Ireland to turn off my data and my voice mail so I didn't receive phone calls

In short my dear u need Internet access I know it was cheaper for me to pay for the Internet for the weeks cruise than worry about a large phone bill on return

Edited by judymag

I was able to delay gallbladder surgery for a couple of months, as long as I didn't eat anything fatty (i.e. red meat) which would set off an episode. He'll be fine as long as he eats properly. You could also have your DS be the emergency contact instead of you.