Rental Car and Insurance in Chile and Argentina

R'man

I am considering renting a car to tour Chile in January. One of the drives I would like to make is across the Andes to Mendoza, Argentina. My concerns are with liability insurance and border crossing.

I assume my American auto liability insurance is not in effect down there. There is "supplementary" liability available, but no one can tell me whether it works as your primary insurance when you effectively have no other. Anyone?

Besides this, is there any issue with the car and insurance crossing borders?

Finally, I have heard that the Argentine provincial police are prone to pull over visiting vehicles for the "fine" levied on the spot. Any experience with that?

I am considering renting a car to tour Chile in January. One of the drives I would like to make is across the Andes to Mendoza' date=' Argentina. My concerns are with liability insurance and border crossing.

I assume my American auto liability insurance is not in effect down there. There is "supplementary" liability available, but no one can tell me whether it works as your primary insurance when you effectively have no other. Anyone?

Besides this, is there any issue with the car and insurance crossing borders?

Finally, I have heard that the Argentine provincial police are prone to pull over visiting vehicles for the "fine" levied on the spot. Any experience with that?[/quote']

It sounds like an interesting trip. I am sure that US insurance would not cover you, as it would not in Mexico.

We love Chile and Argentina, but frankly, I would try to find another way to make this trip.

I understand the roads are not the greatest in the Andes. Also, Argentina is highly corrupt and you just don't know how getting across the border will go.

I looked at taking a train from Santiago to BA, but it does not exist.

The best way to travel overland in the region is by bus. There are several carriers that offer service with limited stops and seats/amenities that rival first class service on an airline.

Here is a link with more information

http://www.entrepreneursodyssey.com/what-to-expect-when-taking-the-bus-from-santiago-to-mendoza/

Edited by dr__dawggy

There more and better advice on Trip Advisor. We will be renting a car in Chile this March and driving into Argentina and back (from Puerto Montt to Bariloche and back.) You need to arrange for this ahead of time in order for the rental agency to look after the paperwork. There is a fee for this as well. I gather you do need to pay extra in Chile for full insurance but I have not checked that out yet.

Like most things, car rental is complicated. The rental charge may or may not include liability insurance. If not, it's a mandatory extra purchase. The rental charge may or may not include CDW, and that CDW may have a high deductible. CDW does not generally include non-collision damages. So, if the car is vandalized, a mirror knocked off in a parking lot, or your radio antenna ripped off...well, there's additional insurance for that, too. Oh, and then there's "personal insurance" for theft from the car, replacement of damaged tires, etc. That $250/wk economy car quote can quickly balloon to $750 or more! Caveat emptor!!

Crossing the border adds $150 to $250 depending on length of visit to Argentina. Generally, crossings must be arranged with the agency at least 48 hours in advance. No crossings are allowed into Bolivia or Peru. Unless one gets off the main routes, I am told the roads are just fine.

The busses are indeed an alternative. However, with luggage in hand and a preference for independent travel, the idea of having a car was attractive even at some added cost. After further review...looks like busses it is, although air travel can also be economical within Chile.

I would get a driver and not rent a car.

Keith

IMHO, that would work better if one was just going point to point. The idea was to tour Chile a bit before heading home - within a budget. A driving tour is not yet out of the question, but we may be camping rather than having a nightly roof overhead. Still time to get it sorted and organized...don't get to Chile until February.