Longest Royal Cruise

How long was the Mariner repositioning cruise from Port Canaveral that went around the horn?

Either way, that long on a cruise ship sounds miserable to me. I know I'm in the minority with that opinion but I'm ready to get off a boat after about 10 days.

I agree Paul, 14 nts is our limit and those last 2 sea days seem to drag and drag! Not

We're looking at doing that Sydney-Seattle trip. It looks like a great itinerary and we like a lot of sea days. Ideally we would prefer to do it in reverse though so that we get the long flight over at the beginning and then have a leisurely voyage home, which is making it hard to decide.

Bekka, for the exact same reason you would prefer to cruise back to Australia, we had the opposite route and cruised back to Seattle which left us with a 2 hr flight to So California. It was a fantastic and memorable cruise. Although we did the Transpacific then 12 day Hawaii back, so 30 days.

Our longest cruises were 33 nights (16 +17 night B2B)) around Australia, 29 nights transpacific from Sydney to Vancouver (18+11 nights) and 29 nights from LA to San Juan via the Panama Canal (7+15+7 B2B2B). We met several people on all of these cruises that were doing MORE consecutive cruises than we were.

We do really like the long cruises but tend to get a little homesick towards the end. It does not mean we still don't have fun all the way through but always anxious to get home by the time they are over.

Our longest trip ever away from home was 88 nights. We decided that is a bit too long and we are trying to limit future trips to no more than two months.

The amazing thing is I am not retired yet :). But my wife is!

O.K.....I'll bite....what do you do for a living if I might ask? It's got to be something where you're your own boss.....i.e......self-employed.

I think I would love to do a longer cruise when I see all the wonderful ports. But then I think about how tired we were after just the short 3 night cruise we just did. I think a longer cruise would be different, though, because you'd have sea days interspersed to get rested up. Sadly I have responsibilities which limit me for now. Maybe someday! :)

Either way, that long on a cruise ship sounds miserable to me. I know I'm in the minority with that opinion but I'm ready to get off a boat after about 10 days.

For me it depends on the itinerary - if the ship is going places I want to see, then I think it might be a great way to get them all in.

We're looking at doing that Sydney-Seattle trip. It looks like a great itinerary and we like a lot of sea days. Ideally we would prefer to do it in reverse though so that we get the long flight over at the beginning and then have a leisurely voyage home, which is making it hard to decide.

You can do it in reverse in the fall. I think it's October 8.

O.K.....I'll bite....what do you do for a living if I might ask? It's got to be something where you're your own boss.....i.e......self-employed.

I actually work for a small company after a long career at a big company. I have known the owners for many years and they like having me around because of my experience.

I was able to take a 3 month leave of absence when we did the 88 day trip. After that I backed off to part-time on paper but it works out to a few months of full time followed by a month or so off for travel. As long as everyone is happy with the arrangement I won't retire. It pays for my cruise habit.

I actually work for a small company after a long career at a big company. I have known the owners for many years and they like having me around because of my experience.

I was able to take a 3 month leave of absence when we did the 88 day trip. After that I backed off to part-time on paper but it works out to a few months of full time followed by a month or so off for travel. As long as everyone is happy with the arrangement I won't retire. It pays for my cruise habit.

Knowing the boss helps too.......he can obviously run his business with you off extended times......sounds like a sweet deal

As much as I like cruising, after the 16 day Legend TA last fall, I had enough and wanted off. You are not alone.

Don't you consider a TA to be a bit of a different type of cruise because of the sea days in a row? Our most sea days in a row was 3 and by then we were glad to see land and be in a port. Any port. I think we have been avoiding TA's and even Vancouver -> Hawaii for this reason. *shrug*

Don't you consider a TA to be a bit of a different type of cruise because of the sea days in a row? Our most sea days in a row was 3 and by then we were glad to see land and be in a port. Any port. I think we have been avoiding TA's and even Vancouver -> Hawaii for this reason. *shrug*

On our first TA, I got a kick about waking up at Sea six days in a row. Very relaxing

That's the one cruise I still regret we could not take. I cannot imagine Royal taking a Voyager (or larger) ship around the horn again.

Rhapsody is doing the Around the Horn sailings in Feb/March 2016. I would be happy with a bigger ship but they need to be able to get into certain ports. And even then a few of the days we will be tendering.