Excursions & tipping

hlsess

In Europe 10% is usually reserved for outstanding service. It's totally different than North America.

Several threads on it, here is a recent one

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2245823

You can feel free to tip as much as you like.

Edited by AdrenalineRush

15% for OK service

18% for good service

20% for excellent service

Way too high for Spain!

Nothing for OK service - all service is expected to be OK! 5% is the norm for good service and never higher than 10%.

Edited by campolady

In Europe 10% is usually reserved for outstanding service. It's totally different than North America.

Several threads on it, here is a recent one

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2245823

You can feel free to tip as much as you like.

Way too high for Spain. Nothing for OK service - all service is expected to be OK! 5% is the norm for good service and never higher than 10%.

Agreed 100%.

Servers are paid OK wages to serve.

Wages are the bread and butter, tips are the jam. Only those who give good-to-excellent service get the jam.

JB :)

Way too high for Spain!

Nothing for OK service - all service is expected to be OK! 5% is the norm for good service and never higher than 10%.

How about elsewhere in Europe, like Rome or Florence for a tour of 8 people?

I guess Spain is different than Italy, this is from a tour company in Rome:

They are cashing in on the way people in the States like to tip.

You just won't see tipping viewed in the same way by actual Europeans taking those same tours.

It would be interesting to see if those tipping guidelines are mentioned on the Italian/Spanish/French translations of that website.

How about elsewhere in Europe, like Rome or Florence for a tour of 8 people?

We would never tip more than 10% anywhere in Europe - nor would we be expected to. With the guidelines you quoted you are being well and truly ripped off.

If you all enjoy your tour I would give 10% giving 70% to the guide and 30% to the driver (if you give the whole tip to the guide expecting him to share it with the driver the driver may well not get anything!).

Edited by campolady

We would never tip more than 10% anywhere in Europe - nor would we be expected to. With the guidelines you quoted you are being well and truly ripped off.

If you all enjoy your tour I would give 10% giving 70% to the guide and 30% to the driver (if you give the whole tip to the guide expecting him to share it with the driver the driver may well not get anything!).

Thank you Campolady for your guidance on tipping in Europe!

15% for OK service

18% for good service

20% for excellent service

I strongly disagree with this percentage for a tour or excursion tip.

Based on this standard, if we took a $150 excursion X 2 = $300, for excellent service we should tip $60.

I know people that never tip at all on tours or excursions. My sense is that a typical tip for excellent service for a full day tour will be about $10 for the tour guide and perhaps $3 to $5 for the driver.

Also, it depends on the country, In places like Australia and Japan tipping is not expected at all.

I strongly disagree with this percentage for a tour or excursion tip.

Based on this standard, if we took a $150 excursion X 2 = $300, for excellent service we should tip $60.

I know people that never tip at all on tours or excursions. My sense is that a typical tip for excellent service for a full day tour will be about $10 for the tour guide and perhaps $3 to $5 for the driver.

Also, it depends on the country, In places like Australia and Japan tipping is not expected at all.

Didn't you tip 20%? 20% of $300 = $60.

Didn't you tip 20%? 20% of $300 = $60.

Maybe I am reading 4774Papas post incorrectly, but I assumed he was saying that if he used your 20% he would have to pay $60 tip on a $300 tour which he strongly disagrees with and that he personally would expect to give $10 to the guide and $3-5 to the driver.

Edited by campolady

Maybe I am reading 4774Papas post incorrectly, but I assumed he was saying that if he used your 20% he would have to pay $60 tip on a $300 tour which he strongly disagrees with and that he personally would expect to give $10 to the guide and $3-5 to the driver.

That is what I said.