Formal Night

I keep seeing so much about people not wanting to dress up on formal nights anymore and will they look out of place if they don't dress up. There are quite a few responses stating they won't look out of place. My question is, will we look out of place if we DO dress up?

I just like to take that opportunity to get a nice family picture :)

Speaking of formal night, does anyone know when they are for Oasis sailing on January 2?

People still dress formally, though the percentage can be low at times.

Dinner schedule: Mojo, Saffron (Formal), Pimento, Shiitake, Jasmine (formal), Basil, Pomodoro.

Edited by clarea

No...if it's "formal" night...you cannot be overdressed! The others may be underdressed, but not you!

As long as they are wearing something like business casual - dockers/nice jeans, polo/button down shirt for men, slacks/nice jeans nice top for women, etc. (not an inclusive list) they will not be underdressed and they will not stand out. They will likely be in the majority. If you'd like to dress up in your formal wear, go for it and enjoy!

Edited by 1SGCruiser

On my recent Adventure cruise last month it seems the majority of the people dressed up on the first formal night but there was a mix of people dressed in various forms of dress on both nights. There were less people dressed up on the 2nd formal night. On the second we dressed up ( I wear suit & tie) but our table mates (Table of four) decided that they did not want to on the 2nd night. We met them and became good friends on this cruise through our roll call. You know what....We could give a rats a$$ that they did not dress up the 2nd night! We still talked, laughed and had a good time at dinner as we had all week! :cool:

WOW...Bold type and underlined....guess you made your point!

By the way...Celebrity just announced they are doing away with formal nights...I am sure RCCL will be next

Dress how you like. Be neat, be clean and have fun...you are on vacation. If others choose to dress that's fine too.

It clearly states that the dress is suggested, I am not sure that if you don't follow the suggestion you don't have respect though? seems like a harsh judgment for someone to make

On normal week long cruises, most people respect the dress code and dress appropriately for the evening. Although formal generally means a tux, this is not the case, a shirt and tie, is fine. People who wear jeans, polo's etc are not the norm and so easily stand out.

That's your opinion of formal. According to RCCL formal is: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women.

People who wear jeans, polo's etc are not the norm and so easily stand out.

I asked the Concierge if what I was currently wearing during cocktail hour in the CL (Dockers and a polo shirt) was acceptable garb for formal night. She said, and I quote, "Honey, you look fabulous." I guess she's not the "norm" either. :rolleyes:

Get over it. Most seasoned cruisers don't bother to pack tuxes and ball gowns for a mass-market cruise - been there, done that. So-called "smart-casual" is more than sufficient for RCI's MDR. That being said, dress as fancy as you like - that's the beauty of choice! Besides, RCI would appreciate the opportunity to sell some photos...

People who wear jeans, polo's etc are not the norm and so easily stand out.

This is not the case at all. Those dressed in tuxes and evening gowns are very much in the minority. Those days are gone. Feel free to dress up if you like to do so but you will not be in the majority.

We like to dress up for formal night and I enjoy seeing the different dresses that other women wear on formal nights. My DH says he doesn't know any women who doesn't want the opportunity to get all decked out once in awhile. That being said I know it's not for everyone. To each his or her own.

I keep seeing so much about people not wanting to dress up on formal nights anymore and will they look out of place if they don't dress up. There are quite a few responses stating they won't look out of place. My question is, will we look out of place if we DO dress up?

I just like to take that opportunity to get a nice family picture :)

Speaking of formal night, does anyone know when they are for Oasis sailing on January 2?

You wont look out of place at all, even on casual nights some dress.

When they are, not first or last nights, probably not a port day, that should narrow it a fair bit.

Do what X did , call it "Evening Chic", it has been that way for many many cruisers for several years. Tux and Evening gowns are easily included in Evening Chic.

Also I dislike when many people tell other people that they must eat else where when they do not go out and buy or rent a Tux that will most likely never wear again.

IMHO on the "formal nights" if you do not want to dress "formally" as many do, just look nicer than normal, wear/buy something elegant, sexy, modern that you will wear again.

I'm weary of reading about the Late Great "FORMAL NIGHT" issue

I appreciate the change as it makes it much easier to convince spouse to go on the RCI cruise with the perfect itinerary rather than NCL line just because of dress code. He looks nice but will not wear a coat and tie to dinner (sad little ties taking up space in the closet need to go live elsewhere).;)