POA - Suite Bar Setup?

swda

I hope someone has the answer. I booked an OS and from what I understand there will be 2 or 3 bottles of Wine or Champagne but no hard liquor. I don't understand what the Hawaiian law is that prevents NCL from providing Suites with complimentary Alcohol that is provided in Suites on other itineraries. I am not a big drinker, but it is a nice perk.

I hope someone has the answer. I booked an OS and from what I understand there will be 2 or 3 bottles of Wine or Champagne but no hard liquor. I don't understand what the Hawaiian law is that prevents NCL from providing Suites with complimentary Alcohol that is provided in Suites on other itineraries. I am not a big drinker, but it is a nice perk.

That is the latest I've heard. There isn't much that ever gets posted on this subject though. I even had asked James who worked on the PoA for a length of time (even a Concierge at times) but never received a response.

I sail on POA in 2 days in the Deluxe Owner's Suite, so I will see if I can get an answer on the wine vs. liquor offer for this sailing and post back. I was told that bar setups are not available for this sailing, which was a bummer. Just means I'll need to use the Butler more to bring me drinks. :D

Hope you get some info about this. We will be in the POA DOS in May so really anxious to hear about possibility of getting a bottle of vodka for our suite in place of a bottle of wine or even purchasing a bottle onboard for use in our suite. Inquiring minds want to know....

I sail on POA in 2 days in the Deluxe Owner's Suite, so I will see if I can get an answer on the wine vs. liquor offer for this sailing and post back. I was told that bar setups are not available for this sailing, which was a bummer. Just means I'll need to use the Butler more to bring me drinks. :D

Have a nice trip. Let us know what you find out - really don't like wine at all.

Please see if you can find out what will be done during drydock. One interesting thing is that the DOS and all studios are not available for the sailing after drydock so curious about that (unless a VIP got the DOS) but none of the studios were available.

Just off POA today. Sitting in HNL right now waiting for my flight.

The Grand Suite (12006) was absolutely spectacular! It was a palace compared to any room we've ever stayed in before. We used the hot tub on the balcony every day, and there was more than enough room for us to spread out in. The bathroom was great! Jacuzzi tub that DW loved, double sinks, great shower with many modes, and large closet. Butler service was good, and our room steward was amazing.

Anyway, back to the topics at hand:

1) I could not find out which specific Hawaiian law restricts the giving of liquor bottles. I asked the Butler, Concierge, and Hotel Director, and none of them knew the specifics, they just knew that it was Hawaiian law. Tony, the HD, directed me to ask the F&B manager, which I never got a chance to do. I will say that the Hawaiian laws did seen weird on many occasions. We ran into it all over the islands where we couldn't do certain things because of Hawaiian law. I asked if there was any possible way to get a bottle of Liquor in our room, even purchased at inflated prices, and was told no. I will say the three bottles of wine we selected were very good.

2) I talked to our room steward about what would be happening at drydock. He said he had only heard rumor about the upgrades around the ship, but that he was personally in the Grand Suite (12006) when FDR went in and personally gave direction about what should be done. He did say that it was just the walkthrough, and that those things could be changed, but apparently these were talked about:

1) Bigger TV, this was apparently the first thing FDR stated when walking in the room.

2) Change the upholstery on the furniture to a lighter (almost white) color

3) Upgrades to the bathroom

Also the suites on the 13th floor are different (and more recent) than the 12th. Much heavier furniture, no hot tubs, etc). Don't be surprised if more of those "upgrades" don't find their way to OS on the 12th floor.

If anyone has any specific questions I'm happy to try to answer them.

Just off POA today. Sitting in HNL right now waiting for my flight.

The Grand Suite (12006) was absolutely spectacular! It was a palace compared to any room we've ever stayed in before. We used the hot tub on the balcony every day, and there was more than enough room for us to spread out in. The bathroom was great! Jacuzzi tub that DW loved, double sinks, great shower with many modes, and large closet. Butler service was good, and our room steward was amazing.

Anyway, back to the topics at hand:

1) I could not find out which specific Hawaiian law restricts the giving of liquor bottles. I asked the Butler, Concierge, and Hotel Director, and none of them knew the specifics, they just knew that it was Hawaiian law. Tony, the HD, directed me to ask the F&B manager, which I never got a chance to do. I will say that the Hawaiian laws did seen weird on many occasions. We ran into it all over the islands where we couldn't do certain things because of Hawaiian law. I asked if there was any possible way to get a bottle of Liquor in our room, even purchased at inflated prices, and was told no. I will say the three bottles of wine we selected were very good.

2) I talked to our room steward about what would be happening at drydock. He said he had only heard rumor about the upgrades around the ship, but that he was personally in the Grand Suite (12006) when FDR went in and personally gave direction about what should be done. He did say that it was just the walkthrough, and that those things could be changed, but apparently these were talked about:

1) Bigger TV, this was apparently the first thing FDR stated when walking in the room.

2) Change the upholstery on the furniture to a lighter (almost white) color

3) Upgrades to the bathroom

Also the suites on the 13th floor are different (and more recent) than the 12th. Much heavier furniture, no hot tubs, etc). Don't be surprised if more of those "upgrades" don't find their way to OS on the 12th floor.

If anyone has any specific questions I'm happy to try to answer them.

Thanks for the latest updates.

Thanks klepton for the info. We sail in 12006 in May and can't wait. Looking forward to the big balcony and hot tub. Disappointed about no bottle of liquor in our suite but will get used to drinking the 3 bottles of wine. Did you get a bottle of champagne in your suite too?

Thanks klepton for the info. We sail in 12006 in May and can't wait. Looking forward to the big balcony and hot tub. Disappointed about no bottle of liquor in our suite but will get used to drinking the 3 bottles of wine. Did you get a bottle of champagne in your suite too?

Yes, we had a bottle of champagne on embarkation day which was ok, not great but not bad. No choice on that, though it's possible I could have exchanged it if I asked. Then Peter (our butler) brought me a menu to make wine bottle selections.

The suite really is amazing. In many ways I'm a little disappointed I used our "splurge" on this trip, as we were in port every day and didn't really enjoy the suite as much as I would have liked. But it worked very well for us with two kids. While it accommodated a family of 4, I really think the suite was designed for 2 guests to live very comfortably rather than a family, but it still worked great for us.

We did very little around the ship, we were either in port or enjoying our suite.

Yes, we had a bottle of champagne on embarkation day which was ok, not great but not bad. No choice on that, though it's possible I could have exchanged it if I asked. Then Peter (our butler) brought me a menu to make wine bottle selections.

The suite really is amazing. In many ways I'm a little disappointed I used our "splurge" on this trip, as we were in port every day and didn't really enjoy the suite as much as I would have liked. But it worked very well for us with two kids. While it accommodated a family of 4, I really think the suite was designed for 2 guests to live very comfortably rather than a family, but it still worked great for us.

We did very little around the ship, we were either in port or enjoying our suite.

I'd have to look back for your specific room, but it may originally have been only for two. NCL made some changes back around 2010 when they made quite a few of the suites with only a capacity of two to now allow 3 or 4 to the same room.

I'd have to look back for your specific room, but it may originally have been only for two. NCL made some changes back around 2010 when they made quite a few of the suites with only a capacity of two to now allow 3 or 4 to the same room.

Don't get me wrong... it accommodated us *very* well. :) We had more room to spread out than any room we've ever had previously. It just wasn't set up well for young kids. Naptime on the couch made the main room unusable (so DS took naps on the big bed). We had family come and hang out with us a few nights, so the kids had to start out on the big bed and then we moved them when we were going to bed. It's a huge room though, by any standard, let alone cruising standards.