NCL Gem Debarkation 11/23/15, Absolutely Horrible

psupa

We just returned from a fabulous cruise on the NCL Gem. We were the first cruise after dry dock and the ship is beautiful, with many areas (Atrium, Bliss Lounge and Spinnaker's) all done over with new carpeting and furniture. We had a great time, but the debarkation was a total cluster.

We had an absolutely awful disembarkation from the Gem. We need wheel chair assistance and this is where NCL fails miserably and have sent an email to NCL guest relations to address the issue. It was the worst debark we have ever experienced on any cruise line. They just did not have enough personnel to assist passengers and we waited over 2 hours and were a few of the last people off the ship. When we finally got a wheel chair and into the terminal there were no porters. Our van service arrived at 11:00, but we were still in the terminal waiting for them to get porters to assist us. This is totally unacceptable.

They had made 2 announcement on the ship that all passengers needed to disembark. I want to know how they think we were going to do that without assistance. While we were still waiting, there were 4 wheelchairs folded up along the rail and we were given some lame excuse that they are only allowed to have so many off the ship at one time. This is total BS because on other cruise lines we have had no problems.

I usually do not complain, but I believe anyone who needs to use this service at the end of the cruise needs to know there may be a problem. I really believe if we didn't start complaining they would have just left us there to get off ourselves. My DH uses a walker and can only walk short distances, so we have no choice but to wait. The walk from the gangway to the terminal and then out of the terminal is not a short one.

NCL's Special Needs Assistance on embarkation wasn't any better. When we went to sign up there were 3 sheets of names waiting for a wheel chair and the lady told me they only had 8. We did not wait, but my husband did struggle to walk on the ship.

Hopefully others who experienced what we did will complain so this can be corrected. NCL needs to do better when it comes to disabled passengers getting on and off the ship.

Glad you had a great time until you had to leave.

Interesting how you skipped the long wait for assistance to get ON the ship but but were unwilling to do so with suprised aggravation when it was time to get OFF the ship.

I'm sure others requiring wheelchair assistance will take your words of caution seriously and plan accordingly as NCL clearly can't efficiently handle the volume of folks needing such assistance.

Interesting how you skipped the long wait for assistance to get ON the ship but but were unwilling to do so with suprised aggravation when it was time to get OFF the ship.

Not sure what you mean, but embarkation was just as chaotic so we tried it without assistance and my husband really struggled and it took us some time but we made it. Just saying NCL's procedure is the worst compared to the other lines we've sailed with and they need to improve it.

Maybe someone needing wheelchair assistance should just bring their own chair.... And always travel with a companion or 2 who can retrieve the luggage without the use of a porter?

It might cost more but then again you aren't at the mercy of others

Alternately... Knowing you have limitations just plan accordingly and either wait or go with the flow ..... Perhaps a 21 inch roll on held on your lap would reduce the need for a porter

Tote bags slung over the wheelchair?

Travel companion pushing wheelchair with one hand and wheeling their 21 inch with other?

Wheelchair pa x wheeling themselves and companion wheeling 2 21 inch bags alongside?

Clearly I do nt use a wheelchair nor do I know your limitations but if at all possible I would think if you could arrange to embark and debark without assistance you might be happier

Alternately find a cruise line that handles it better in your opinion

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure what you mean, but embarkation was just as chaotic so we tried it without assistance and my husband really struggled and it took us some time but we made it. Just saying NCL's procedure is the worst compared to the other lines we've sailed with and they need to improve it.

Ok then I stand by my previous post since you know other lines are better I think you should cruise other lines until ncl gets their act together

It's no surprise ncl needs to improve their assistance services....geez they need to improve most of their services...but I cruise them for price (at least for my next cruise but not sure after that)and convenience and since you need convenience you should seriously leave ncl as you know other lines do it better

It a no brainier you shouldn't be uncomfortable at embark or debark because of ncl and since others do better just give your cash to the other lines

Ncl doesn't care about pax retention any more so why bother with them in your case?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for your suggestions and points taken. My point for the post was to make people aware there may be an issue. Believe me I wish we didn't need to use it, but things happen and we now have no choice.