It's royals turn

Esilef

HELP ROYAL MAKE HISTORY This Saturday, 28 November will host a historic moment for Sydney-siders. Find your spot on Sydney Harbour to witness Explorer of the Seas, Australia’s biggest cruise ship, make her maiden call to Sydney after an epic voyage from Southampton. Meanwhile, her slightly smaller sister ship, Voyager of the Seas, will greet her in Sydney Harbour at 6:30pm in an Historic Royal Harbour Rendezvous.

At 6:30pm the two Voyager Class megaliners will rendezvous in the Harbour near Fort Denison, treating Sydney-siders to a never-before-seen, awe-inspiring sight.

If they are both Voyager class then aren't they the same size?

Royal does this sorta thing fairly often. They are the same except I am guessing they added a tiny expansion on. Say added a tiny square box to the ship and they say it is bigger. There just need to be one slight change to the ship that causes it to be called bigger, even though it is almost impossible to notice in most cases. They do it fairly often when they build new ships, look at the Oasis and Allure. The Oasis was the worlds biggest cruise ship, but they made the Allure a tiny bit bigger and they could then call it the biggest ship in marketing, so they pretty much get double to marketing capacity, when there really is no difference at all.

Anyway, I will be on the Voyager for this and I get free internet the whole cruise so I will post some shots, either here or in the other thread (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2270259)

Thats interesting but they are just fooling themselves and not smart cruisers. A TA in Adelaide also said that this was the largest ship to come to Australia so I thought it must be the same class as say Liberty OS. But it really is just Voyager in reality.

Thats interesting but they are just fooling themselves and not smart cruisers. A TA in Adelaide also said that this was the largest ship to come to Australia so I thought it must be the same class as say Liberty OS. But it really is just Voyager in reality.

so when the QM2 comes to Australia at 150,000 ton that must make the RCI ships look pretty small so maybe the TA is mistaken

From the RCI website here are the stats on the 2 ships:

Voyager:

Gross Tonnage 138,000

Length 1,020 ft

Max Beam 157.5 ft

Draft 29 ft

Cruising Speed 22 knots

Explorer:

Gross Tonnage 138,000

Length 1,025 ft

Max Beam 157.5 ft

Draft 29 ft

Cruising Speed 22 knots

So Explorer is 5 ft longer. Technically bigger but all the other stats are the same.

From the RCI website here are the stats on the 2 ships:

Voyager:

Gross Tonnage 138,000

Length 1,020 ft

Max Beam 157.5 ft

Draft 29 ft

Cruising Speed 22 knots

Explorer:

Gross Tonnage 138,000

Length 1,025 ft

Max Beam 157.5 ft

Draft 29 ft

Cruising Speed 22 knots

So Explorer is 5 ft longer. Technically bigger but all the other stats are the same.

I wouldn't trust their website. Those figures are impossible. Also else where it says that the Voyager is actually 1 ft longer. Apparently the Explorer has one extra bar according to Royals website, however I just scanned through the deck plans and was unable to find any major differences, no extra rooms or anything. Has anyone been on both and know where this extra bar is?

One thing I have wondered is, how much the temperature would affect the size of the ship. If they measured one ship on a hot day and the other on a cold day, it would make a difference.

One thing I have wondered is, how much the temperature would affect the size of the ship. If they measured one ship on a hot day and the other on a cold day, it would make a difference.

That's what they did with Allure as well - measure her on a hotter day.

It's just marketing.

I wouldn't trust their website. Those figures are impossible. Also else where it says that the Voyager is actually 1 ft longer. Apparently the Explorer has one extra bar according to Royals website, however I just scanned through the deck plans and was unable to find any major differences, no extra rooms or anything. Has anyone been on both and know where this extra bar is?

It's not an extra bar. Explorer was built with a laboratory on board operated by a university. It's this extra space that adds the 32t or so that officially made it the larger ship.

For the general public though, the number of occupants and areas is the same.

We only have to wait another 12 months when Ovation arrives & there will be no quibbling over which is the biggest cruise ship to visit Sydney.

Class & type: Quantum-class cruise ship

Tonnage: 167,800 GT

Length: 348 m (1,142 ft)

Beam: 41 m (135 ft) (waterline)

Draught: 8.5 m (28 ft)

Decks: 18 (16 passenger-accessible)

Just to make sure though I'll check her out close up when we sail on her in Jan '17. :D

so when the QM2 comes to Australia at 150,000 ton that must make the RCI ships look pretty small so maybe the TA is mistaken

The Adelaide TA isn't entirely mistaken, lol. I have seen the QM2 & I have sailed on the Explorer. Although the QM2 might be bigger in some regards on paper, visually the Voyager class ships would look bigger if they were tied up alongside. The QM2 is longer but more narrow & a lot more streamlined with longer bow & aft so it can cut across the oceans. The Voyager/explorer are much more wider & bulkier from front to back like a big apartment block & as such carry more passengers, giving them the largest title.

Would this be the same TA you did battle with in the past?

Yup. The expert. He attended QANTAS 95th birthday dinner last Friday under the A380. Busting to tell everyone. Don't people realise he only gets free suites on cruises and invites to special events because of the money they pay and their non refundable rates?