Missing assigned Dinner

There's also the Mexican fiesta buffet, served late at night, at 11:00-ish. On 4-day Key West/Cozumel cruises, it's served one time only, on Cozumel night. (If the ship was 2.0'ed, which Fantasy isn't, then there's no real food, just chips and salsa.)

The Mexican fiesta food is pretty nice, about Chipotle-quality, but with some authentic Mexican dishes rarely found in the US. Eat a small meal in port or in the lido buffet, then save room for the fiesta. The only catch is that there'll be a lot of loud music and people dancing, some sober, some not :).

We've learnt to avoid Mexican buffet on Carnival. Sis and a friend both got sick after eating it. Different cruises, several years apart.

Edited by SadieN

I was asking if it was ok, since I have seen a lot of people do it on previous cruises. Also, you guys all have your facts wrong. Paradise beach closes at 6pm, so 7pm ship time. Also, the sun goes down at 8pm ship time.

We've cruised to Cozumel where we had a late departure as well as one from Freeport as recent as September. Here's what I did.

We always select 6 pm dining. With a late port departure the dining room is half empty. Our waiters have told us late dining is the same way. The last two times I asked the maître d' what our options were if we showed up at late seating dining and he said "I'll have a table ready for you."

It worked great, all I did was ask. I've seen the same thing with empty tables around us on some sailings. On one or two nights couples are seated at the table.

Cruising on the Freedom recently we had two different couples join us on two different nights for the open seats at our table. This flies in the face of those that post "you cannot" or "it's not allowed."

We tipped our waiter that night in cash and the maître d' Dinner was great!

OP, we loved your country on our stop in Halifax and St John. What friendly people!

Edited by BallFour4

Don't know which cruise lines other than NCL that have open seating dining for anyone but as far as I know, Carnival has never done this unless ATD is selected.

We have sailed on Carnival when we had a late departure from San Juan, and the MDR had open seating all night.

To DebJ14 "Not sure what Carnival does, but it would make sense for them to have open seating that night, especially for those too cheap or too scared to eat dinner in Cozumel."

There is no reason for the shot at the end. Be nice.

Edited by screwsmcernst

I was asking if it was ok, since I have seen a lot of people do it on previous cruises. Also, you guys all have your facts wrong. Paradise beach closes at 6pm, so 7pm ship time. Also, the sun goes down at 8pm ship time.

Sunset in Cozumel in March is 6:06 pm

A "lot" of people do it???? Where are you getting this information from?

Not sure why you would think a fixed dining time is flexible- it isn't. So now you have your information.

Since you may want to stay on the beach until 6pm, you can choose from the deli, buffet, pizza or room service. You also can not go to anytime dining.

A "lot" of people do it???? Where are you getting this information from?

Not sure why you would think a fixed dining time is flexible- it isn't. So now you have your information.

Since you may want to stay on the beach until 6pm, you can choose from the deli, buffet, pizza or room service. You also can not go to anytime dining.

I have seen it so my own eyes!

We've cruised to Cozumel where we had a late departure as well as one from Freeport as recent as September. Here's what I did.

We always select 6 pm dining. With a late port departure the dining room is half empty. Our waiters have told us late dining is the same way. The last two times I asked the maître d' what our options were if we showed up at late seating dining and he said "I'll have a table ready for you."

It worked great, all I did was ask. I've seen the same thing with empty tables around us on some sailings. On one or two nights couples are seated at the table.

Cruising on the Freedom recently we had two different couples join us on two different nights for the open seats at our table. This flies in the face of those that post "you cannot" or "it's not allowed."

We tipped our waiter that night in cash and the maître d' Dinner was great!

OP, we loved your country on our stop in Halifax and St John. What friendly people!

Thank you for the advice! It has been the most useful post so far! That is what I will do :)

No, it goes down at 6:54pm, so 7:54pm ship time. (Look it up on google). I was there last year at the same exact time, and the sun went down after we were done eating at around 8pm ship time.

If you have done this before, just why in the hell are you asking? :rolleyes:

BTW, you seeing open seating 1 time on 1 cruise hardly makes "lots of times".

The responders to this thread, with the exception of 1 or 2, have been so rude to the OP. It's one of the worst threads I've seen. No where in this thread did the OP say they did it before. He or she said she had seen others do it and was asking if it were ok. Also said they were finishing up eating at 8pm while the sun was setting. Finishing up, not starting. They had NOT stayed late in port that time or showed late to their seating if they were finishing up at 8pm. It would be a far nicer thread if you would all just read what is being asked. If the OP wasn't concerned about the idea of showing up late, they never would have posted the question. Be helpful and read what is being posted before taking an insulting attitude.

We have sailed on Carnival when we had a late departure from San Juan, and the MDR had open seating all night.

To DebJ14 "Not sure what Carnival does, but it would make sense for them to have open seating that night, especially for those too cheap or too scared to eat dinner in Cozumel."

There is no reason for the shot at the end. Be nice.

Agreed, and I know someone who told the MDR staff that they would not make the time that was assigned so they put them at a later time and sat them with other people.

You don't have to do buffet....

The responders to this thread, with the exception of 1 or 2, have been so rude to the OP. It's one of the worst threads I've seen.

To E&B: You don't spend much time on CC. (that was a joke)

To some other responders: Reading comprehension is a lost art as is word usage.

As far as the "rule" you should dine at your assigned time. Carnival is notorious for bending their own rules. This in turn leads to posts here and on social media that detail the rule bending. Which then leads to everyone wanting the rules adjusted to their circumstances.

To OP:

1) Ask in the MDR on the first night what your options might be for Cozumel night. The host/hostess might inform you that night will be open seating, they may make special arrangements for your party or you might be told you need to explore the other venues. Ultimately it is ship policy on that sailing not what has occurred in the past.

2) Have a great cruise.

To E&B: You don't spend much time on CC. (that was a joke).

I agree that there are a lot of nasty threads, but usually - or at least it's my perception - that the OP is usually just as guilty at contributing to the nastiness. This is one of the first I've seen where the OP was genuinely asking for help and the majority of responses were insulting and accusatory. I feel like I want to apologize to the OP. Maybe I need to find a cruise board that's just as active as this one but has nicer members. Hmmmm.

So rude. It amazes me what people will say when they can hide behind their computer.

CC is full of people that are right fighters that love telling people they are wrong.

It always reminds me of a meme I have saved that fits cc to a t.

"If someone from the 1950's appeared today what would be the most difficult thing to explain to them about life today?

I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing all the information known to man.

I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers. "

There's also the Mexican fiesta buffet, served late at night, at 11:00-ish.

Whenever I have seen one of those late night Mexican buffets people attack it like they are going to prison.

Unless you are first in line you are going to see a friggin mess like you've never seen before.

I have looked forward to it, but never actually eaten anything from it.

Edited by Bob NC

The responders to this thread, with the exception of 1 or 2, have been so rude to the OP. It's one of the worst threads I've seen. No where in this thread did the OP say they did it before. He or she said she had seen others do it and was asking if it were ok. Also said they were finishing up eating at 8pm while the sun was setting. Finishing up, not starting. They had NOT stayed late in port that time or showed late to their seating if they were finishing up at 8pm. It would be a far nicer thread if you would all just read what is being asked. If the OP wasn't concerned about the idea of showing up late, they never would have posted the question. Be helpful and read what is being posted before taking an insulting attitude.

OMG, read post #36 and you'll see exactly where they have done this before. If this is one of the worst threads you've ever seen then you must not read much here. :rolleyes:

BTW, my reading comprehension is just fine but you calls yours into question by missing post #36. If someone doesn't want attitude don't ask a question and then 30+ posts later say you did the same thing the year before. Not to mention, the arrogance of the actual question......"Can I come to dinner in the MDR an hour late to my fixed time seating?". Really?????? Just who does that?????

So rude. It amazes me what people will say when they can hide behind their computer.

CC is full of people that are right fighters that love telling people they are wrong.

It always reminds me of a meme I have saved that fits cc to a t.

"If someone from the 1950's appeared today what would be the most difficult thing to explain to them about life today?

I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing all the information known to man.

I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers. "

If you knew me you would know I would say it directly to your face as well. ;)

And yes, it is WRONG to show up to fixed time dining 1 hour late. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. If Carnival went back to the old practice of closing the MDR doors 15 minutes after dinner started there would be no need for the thread to begin with but since they won't now, you have people who think they can show up anytime they want. It's ridiculous.

OMG, read post #36 and you'll see exactly where they have done this before. If this is one of the worst threads you've ever seen then you must not read much here. :rolleyes:

BTW, my reading comprehension is just fine but you calls yours into question by missing post #36. If someone doesn't want attitude don't ask a question and then 30+ posts later say you did the same thing the year before. Not to mention, the arrogance of the actual question......"Can I come to dinner in the MDR an hour late to my fixed time seating?". Really?????? Just who does that?????

"Arrogance of the actual question", that's a new one. If you don't like the question don't respond. simple. Everyone doesn't cruise multiple times a year for years and years. And everyone doesn't know the small ins and outs of cruising. Just because you know the answer doesn't make it a stupid question.

Seriously you might want to take a step back from your computer. To get so worked up over a message board is crazy. This isn't that serious.

If you knew me you would know I would say it directly to your face as well. ;)

And yes, it is WRONG to show up to fixed time dining 1 hour late. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. If Carnival went back to the old practice of closing the MDR doors 15 minutes after dinner started there would be no need for the thread to begin with but since they won't now, you have people who think they can show up anytime they want. It's ridiculous.

But how would someone know without asking. It's ok to ask and be told no that isn't ok. And let's be real, how many threads here talk about how the rules change depending on who's asked. Dress is always one. People tell their server they don't have clothes to dress up and the server tells them they can wear whatever they want and to come to the dining room anyway. They bend their own rules all the time so it isn't unreasonable for someone to ask if they would accommodate them on one night they are late.

I again agree. Many don't read past the first post and then answer. Good grief, how many answers say "no" and there's a buffet, pizza etc.?

"Arrogance of the actual question", that's a new one. If you don't like the question don't respond. simple. Everyone doesn't cruise multiple times a year for years and years. And everyone doesn't know the small ins and outs of cruising. Just because you know the answer doesn't make it a stupid question.

Seriously you might want to take a step back from your computer. To get so worked up over a message board is crazy. This isn't that serious.

Yes, I thought the question was arrogant but I tried to be helpful. And then the poster states he's already been there last year. So I asked, why ask the question to begin with? But yes, questions can be arrogant. Imagine if someone came here and asked if it was okay to put their stuff on on a row of chairs poolside at 6 in the morning but they weren't planning on actually being out there until 1 in the afternoon but wanted to save themselves a good spot?

Seriously, you might want to refrain from attempting to tell others what to do. I'm not your husband.

Edited by Who Cares?

But how would someone know without asking. It's ok to ask and be told no that isn't ok. And let's be real, how many threads here talk about how the rules change depending on who's asked. Dress is always one. People tell their server they don't have clothes to dress up and the server tells them they can wear whatever they want and to come to the dining room anyway. They bend their own rules all the time so it isn't unreasonable for someone to ask if they would accommodate them on one night they are late.

Common sense. When was the last time you thought "fixed time dining" meant "come whenever you like". Yes, I know common sense is lacking with the general populace these days but some of us still have it and use it on a daily basis.

And IMO, asking to have the rules bent for you because they were bent for someone else is so kindergardenish.

Edited by Who Cares?

#36 happens to be your rude post. I'm assuming you may have meant what you quoted on post #36. If you actually read it, the OP is saying they were in the MDR, finishing a meal after the sun went down. Meaning they showed up to early dining and were finishing the meal. Where does it say they showed up late??? As I understand it, they did NOT stay late in port on that occasion, showed up on time in the MDR for early seating, saw people show up late or empty tables and were finishing up their meal as the sun set at 7:45.