good news and bad news live from grand princess

tml1230

woke up this morning…walked to horizon court for coffee…still dark…limited visibility out the windows ...thought to myself wow, Kauai, judging from the lights…sure has grown a lot since we were here last year1

i sat down checking my emails by a pool and a guy walks up to me and asks "are we in honolulu"?….i said nope we sailed out from there about 11 last night…my next thought was ...geez i hope he can find his way back to his room without help…

5 minutes later a woman comes up to me and asks "isn't that " that…you know... diamond point or that diamond head place in honolulu?" i politely said i don't think so... i chalked this encounter up to her blond hair (my wife is blond so i can say that)

peaking my interest now ...i walked up to the next deck where there was no reflection and window glare…looked out to see the city of honolulu… those 2 folks i conversed with now must think i am just another idiot from florida. i am…..

so i cancelled our rental car in kauai… and rented a car here again …if we end up spending a lot of time here i will want a car and don't want there to be any available…i thought that was pretty darn good planning at 0630…

i don't know what the day holds but we are safe, we are in hawaii and life is good….for those of you boarding 12/10, like you we are concerned so i will let you know what we hear…

Love your sense of humor. Since we just got off the ship, the only thing we can think of if our cruise was a few days longer, we would have experience the problem in Mexico. I would rather be in Hawaii, with the problem. Princess is really standing tall, with their offers. Capt. Roger Bilton, is a great Captain. He has a good since of humor, we enjoyed him immensely.

I have to say, reading all these positive posts is a refreshing joy. Just goes to prove how putting a positive spin on an unfortunate situation can make all the difference in the world. And the complainers on board? Raspberries to them!

No one is stranded, Princess is stepping up to the plate, and, most importantly, everyone is safe. Can't ask for more than that!

A fifteen day cruise to nowhere with a couple of nights in Honolulu thrown in.....Heaven!!!!! Wanna do something different today?? Get a car and head west......H1W all the way to Farrington Hwy....go past Ko Olina.....you'll find gorgeous empty beaches!!! All the way to Makaha and see the real, homegrown surfers. Come back, stop at Ko Olina and have a Mai Tai at Monkey Pod-best anywhere...(across from the dreadful Disney place :) ) You'll have a great time....and feel like to saw another "island"!!! .

Edited by Murphey

i failed to mention earlier the entire compensation Princess is providing us…i was so excited about the refund for this 15 day FREE cruise!…besides the full refund…we all get 50% off our NEXT cruise (up to what we spent on this one)…plus 200 PP shipboard credit on this cruise and amazingly its refundable shipboard credit…all this is above and beyond by princess….

as with most of the passengers, we are staying on the ship for the rest of this adventure…and then the next one on 12/10 on her to mexico…

when we leave honolulu at 6 tonight i will lose my free verizon wi-fi and have to rely on the satellite which has been ok but still iffy…

if any of the folks sailing on 12/10 can post here ANY updates they may get from princess on our departure from san francisco on 12/10 i would appreciate that very much…hope it doesn't impact my run to IN and OUT Burger that turnaround day.

i feel sad for the folks who missed these incredible ports, it was easier for us as we have seen them before….but other than that it has really been a good cruise with minimal problems given the fire itself and what it could have been…we feel blessed.

By the way, i got the opportunity to apologize to one of those folks i mentioned earlier inquiring about our current location….

as i turns out, now i really dont feel to bad or guilty...because when i saw him...he was in the buffet line…with 16 people standing patiently behind him…while for 30 seconds he was pawing through the bacon looking for that one PERFECT piece of hog. he wasn't from florida...

WOW... Princess has really gone ABOVE AND BEYOND with the compensation package. I'm sure they are realizing that a "Happy Passenger" is a repeat passenger. Kudos to them. Hopefully, the rest of your voyage will be worry-free. Safe travels home.

Edited by cruisingpeople

Wow! Kudus to Princess for the consolation offer, and to the captain for keeping the passengers well informed.

In a perfect world there would be no snowstorms to delay flights, all sunny days with temperatures in the 70s when we have an excursion, and we would always get the first tender. But stuff does happen and things go wrong. You can moan and groan and blame Princess, or you can go on the adventure.

I would have stayed on the ship as well.

Please join us on the Roll Call for the 12/10 sailing on the Grand. We have a friendly, lively group and have two meet & greets planned. We are all looking forward to this cruise so much! I spoke with Princess this morning, and they said that as of this moment, they expect our cruise to sail as planned.

Thanks Cheri. I actually am on that roll call just haven't posted in a very long time.

i failed to mention earlier the entire compensation Princess is providing us…i was so excited about the refund for this 15 day FREE cruise!…besides the full refund…we all get 50% off our NEXT cruise (up to what we spent on this one)…plus 200 PP shipboard credit on this cruise and amazingly its refundable shipboard credit…all this is above and beyond by princess….

as with most of the passengers, we are staying on the ship for the rest of this adventure…and then the next one on 12/10 on her to mexico…

when we leave honolulu at 6 tonight i will lose my free verizon wi-fi and have to rely on the satellite which has been ok but still iffy…

if any of the folks sailing on 12/10 can post here ANY updates they may get from princess on our departure from san francisco on 12/10 i would appreciate that very much…hope it doesn't impact my run to IN and OUT Burger that turnaround day.

i feel sad for the folks who missed these incredible ports, it was easier for us as we have seen them before….but other than that it has really been a good cruise with minimal problems given the fire itself and what it could have been…we feel blessed.

By the way, i got the opportunity to apologize to one of those folks i mentioned earlier inquiring about our current location….

as i turns out, now i really dont feel to bad or guilty...because when i saw him...he was in the buffet line…with 16 people standing patiently behind him…while for 30 seconds he was pawing through the bacon looking for that one PERFECT piece of hog. he wasn't from florida...

Your writing about In 'n' Out hit home I had one today for lunch in your honor.

BAD news first…...about 0530 the captain came on and advised the was a small fire on deck 4 near the engine room…we were losing propulsion and had limited lighting…well that certainly wakes you up!

20 minutes later he advised fire was out but we have limited propulsion and limping onwards to Hilo Hawaii, our first port since leaving SF…

GOOD news… we are about 6 miles fro Hilo…

there isn't enough power for brewing coffee and limited lighting in horizon court ….which was a zoo with limited lighting and people acting as if they were rushing to avoid a food shortage…some folks really amaze me….

They were rushing to get food because in any large group acting as a unit, the intellectual level of the group as a whole and therefore of each of its members descends to the intellectual level of the lease intelligent member of the group. In other words, all groups act stupidly.

DON

They were rushing to get food because in any large group acting as a unit, the intellectual level of the group as a whole and therefore of each of its members descends to the intellectual level of the lease intelligent member of the group. In other words, all groups act stupidly.

DON

The way I heard the equation is that the intelligence of a group is equal to the level of the least intelligent member divided by the number of members of the group. A better estimate in my experience.

I'm on board. It's 3:30 local time. Don't have a count but have seen a number of couples leaving. We are staying. We have a Captains Circle party coming up in a couple of days. If we don't hear a count before then I'm sure we will hear then.

I would stay on board myself. If I waited as long as I have to go on a cruise, I'm staying on board - unless there's no food or water or wine! Then there's no point in staying on board. Leaving tomorrow for the Panama Canal cruise. Staying in FLL for a couple of days to unwind.

I'm on board. It's 3:30 local time. Don't have a count but have seen a number of couples leaving. We are staying. We have a Captains Circle party coming up in a couple of days. If we don't hear a count before then I'm sure we will hear then.

I would be quite interested in knowing that number. Some might fly home due to the insecurities of knowing if the repairs would be sufficient. I could also imagine some getting a hotel room and getting their Hawaiian vacation before flying home. It would still be a "free" vacation considering the big refund for the cruise fare and the free flight home. I would stay on the ship if it were me.... :-)

in a couple hours we will cast off and those of us on board will lose our own high speed internet so i wanted to share a few observations…

music and noise at the MUTS pool is much quieter than on other ships and that is appreciated i think by most…

we saw perhaps 50 people leaving over the course of the last 2 hours don't no how many left prior to using getting off the ship.

to us the food has been above average for princess cruises…

as usual the crew is outstanding…..

most of our cruises are out of florida , this is maybe our 4th from California..

what has really struck me on this cruise is the really large amount multi generational families traveling together and taking care of each other….sure, i have seen some on ships out of Florida, but certainly not this number. i find that heartwarming. To see adult children assisting elderly parents insuring they are comfortable ,safe, and having a good time says a lot about folks. There is a spirit of joy within those families that you can feel….perhaps thats been the best part of the cruise so far….

to the poster who had an IN N Out burger for me…your are the wind beneath my wings….

Passengers on the Grand,

It cannot be said too often, MANY THANKS for keeping those of us on the 12/10 cruise up to speed... I, too, would continue on the ship back to S.F.....Also, great to hear that Princess, once again, has quickly "stepped to the plate" and made things right.

Keep us in the loop as you head to Ensenada and S.F.!