Virgin Atlantic Seat Changes... AGAIN!!!

MarkusDY

Hi,

We booked our cruise nearly 18 months ago with Virgin Atlantic flights in with the Celebrity Cruise Air package. We also upgraded to Premium Economy for the long haul flight, so this allowed us to prebook seats together, window etc, which everyone likes right?

I've just logged in to my Virgin Atlantic booking a month before departure to see that they've changed the aircraft, stuck my party on separate rows and all split up. There are no other seats and Virgin don't seem to care and blame "operational reasons".

I'm told that Virgin do this a lot, which is hugely disappointing!

Now before anyone replies with the "these things happen".... I know that. However, does anyone know if we can ask to be re-routed with a connecting flight like JFK which might allow us to sit together for the long overnight flight home?

Many thanks.

:)

Concur with Rugrats.

When you booked more than a year out from your flight date through Celebrity, you weren't really buying a ticket. Flights hadn't even been loaded into the reservation system.. You were most likely just given a placeholder that corresponded to the current flights.

Contact VS, and remember that most coach seat have a seat reservation fee.

However, does anyone know if we can ask to be re-routed with a connecting flight like JFK which might allow us to sit together for the long overnight flight home?

In addition to what others already said about not having a "real" ticket 18 months in advance and thus this not being a real change....

1. Whether you can be re-routed largely depends on whether the rules and restrictions attached your your particular fare class allow you to be re-rerouted. You book through CA, so contact them and ask them.

2. If the answer to #1 is yes, it will next depend on whether or not there are available seats that suit you any better than your current seats.

3. If it's an overnight flight, I really wouldn't get too worked up about it. Likely you will be sleeping, or at least reading quietly or something like that so that others can sleep. i.e. you won't really have an opportunity to be conversing with others in your party, so I wouldn't get terribly worked up about not sitting together

I wouldn't get terribly worked up about not sitting together

In my case this would not work out. I have diabetes & my hubby would worry about my blood sugar dropping if I were not right next to him.

Steve

I wouldn't get terribly worked up about not sitting together

In my case this would not work out. I have diabetes & my hubby would worry about my blood sugar dropping if I were not right next to him.

Steve

That's different. If one needs constant, direct medical supervision and assistance, then I'm sure a note from your doctor stating that would suffice for the airline to readjust your seats.

Sign up at http://www.myflightsapp.com and enter your flight numbers, etc. Anytime a change to your booking occurs, you will receive an email alert. I had the same thing happen (aircraft change altered our seat assignments) and I was able to rectify the situation thanks to my receiving the alert.

Good luck.

Very handy app! Thank you!

Thanks for the replies.

Virgin Atlantic were about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.... refer back to the travel company who booked it.

Celebrity don't seem to want to bother to read the rules on the fare as they are quote "too complicated"!

Lesson learnt... don't pay to upgrade and think you'll keep the seats you wanted, because you probably won't and no one gives a damn!

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies.

Virgin Atlantic were about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.... refer back to the travel company who booked it.

Celebrity don't seem to want to bother to read the rules on the fare as they are quote "too complicated"!

Lesson learnt... don't pay to upgrade and think you'll keep the seats you wanted, because you probably won't and no one gives a damn!

I think another lesson here is to understand what you are buying. If you bought these tickets 18 months ago, then as has been pointed out, you really weren't buying an actual airline ticket in the first place, as no actual tickets were available then. And seat choices are only requests, with no guarantee that if you request seat #10A that's the one you'll ultimately get.

Moving on though, there's a popular phrase in case like this: Hang Up Call Again. No guarantees that you'll get a different result, but I'd give it another shot, with both Celebrity and Virgin, and ask the re-routing question again.

Thanks for the replies.

When you book with a third party, usually any changes, etc., must go through the third party, and the airline won't work directly with you. Another problem with these bookings (through the cruise line) is often the tickets have many restrictions that don't allow routing changes. No idea if that's the case with yours.

No seat assignments are ever guaranteed. All airlines have schedule changes and equipment swaps, especially when you book far in advance. That's why one should keep on eye on any reservations so you can catch these when they happen. Many airlines allow you to sign up for alerts and you may get an email when there's a change.

But, as already stated, when you "purchased" this flight, it wasn't even available, so no surprise there were changes.

Suggest you check this daily and see if you can grab better seats. People cancel, change seats and upgrade. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Edited by 6rugrats

Is your husband your 24/7 medical companion? I have a few friends who are T1D and do not have to be in constant monitoring mode by a spouse. I hope yours is not that serous/uncontrollable that it is necessary.

You husband will still be able to monitor your sugar/insulin levels even though he is not next to you. He can walk to your seat. BUT, if it is medically necessary for him to be next to you for the flight, try looking in the Virgin Atlantic website for the Special Assistance department number and see if you can convince they it is a medical necessity and have the seats assigned.

Edited by slidergirl