Princess pre-cruise hotels in Rome

r&rlovescruising

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/europe-cruises/cruisetours-hotels/

(scroll down to hotel packages, click on view hotels, scroll down to Rome, Italy

Hilton Garden Inn Rome Claridge

Set in the residential district of Parioli within walking distance of the Borghese Gardens.

2015 Price: 2 nights from $429

Additional nights from $89

2016 Price: 2 nights from $348

Additional nights from $69

NH Giustiniano

The NH Giustiniano is right in the fashionable Prati district near many restaurants, shops and cafes. The Vatican is only five minutes away.

2015 Price: 2 nights from $459

Additional nights from $99

Hotel Savoy

The Hotel Savoy, housed in an elegant 19th-century palace, is situated on the corner of the famous Via Veneto in the heart of Rome. It’s close to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and Villa Borghese Gardens.

2016 Price: 2 nights from $448

Additional nights from $109

Best Western Premier Hotel Royal Santina

This hotel is located in Via Marsala within walking distance of Santa Maria Maggiore, Trevi Fountain and the Roman Museum and sits opposite the main Rome Termini railway station.

2016 Price: 2 nights from $378

Additional nights from $89

Remember the prices are PER PERSON, not per room. But given that the price includes transfers from Rome to the pier at Civitaveccia locking these rates in could be a reasonable hedge against the Euro being stronger next year. I included The NH Giustiniano even though no 2016 price is listed; may still be under negotiation--or dropped but forgotten to delete. If looking for your new 2017 booking properties and prices may not be known until this time next year.

Edited by fishywood

I highly recommend you book your hotel on your own rather than through Princess...no need to pay over the top rates for your hotel and transfer to the port.

Check the Italy Ports Board for hotel recommendations. Two that constantly come up are Albergo del Senato and Albergo Cesari...both get very good ratings on TripAdvisor.

You might want to consider arranging your own transfer to the port. I don't know what Princess is charging, but we booked a van for eight for last year's Emerald TA with RomeCabs and the total cost was €210...that's €26,25 per person!

xxSignature_zpsh7o3rsok.jpg

We have stayed at the Albergo Cesari and loved it, lots of old Italian ambiance and easy walking to the major tourist sites. It has a lovely roof deck, and the staff made fantastic dinner recommendations. It's a good choice at a reasonable price (for Rome), and popular with Cruise Critic posters. Plus, you'll get lots of other suggestions here. We arranged our transport through Rome Cabs, and it all was seamless. Personally, I would book my hotel on my own so that I would have just the location I want, you'll find it pretty easy with all the advice on these boards.

PS --- I just looked at the prices quoted for the Princess hotels. We paid less than any of them for our 2 nights hotel, plus private Rome Cabs transfers airport-Rome and then Rome-port (since the prices above are per person.)

Edited by cynbar

We also stayed at the Albergo Cesari based on recommendations of CC members on these boards. The location is perfect and Rome Cabs was easy to book on line too and we shared expenses with others on our roll call to and from the port - very easy to do.

Enjoy Rome!

Rome is very easy to navigate on your own, you'll find that most people in tourist areas speak English and are very friendly. Go over to the Ports of Call message boards here, you'll find lots of info on Rome, from hotels to tours to restaurants. Some people take the train very successfully, but we let felt the expense of private transport was more than worth it, especially after a long transatlantic flight and with luggage. I believe there are also shared shuttles, and you could also join up with some cruisers from your roll call for transport to the ship and the airport after the cruise. Most hotels will make restaurant recommendations for you, the Cesari was especially good at this. Finally, get yourself a guidebook on Rome, we used Rick Steves and found him very helpful. If you want to see some of the more popular attractions, such as the Sistine Chapel or the Colosseum, you can buy timed tickets online that give you a window to enter, you'll save standing in long lines. But most of Rome is perfect for just strolling around and seeing the sights at your own speed.

OP,

Cynbar and others have provided great recommendations on how to visit Rome on your own without paying Princess' extraorbitant hotel prices. I would encourage you to buy Rick Steves' book on Rome and/or his books on the Mediterranean ports. Great practical advice on how to get to the best sites and efficiently plan your time in each city. I would not follow his hotel recommendations, but his touring advice is the best. You'll feel like someone is taking you on a personal tour.

In Rome, I would suggest joining one of Eating Italy's food tours to the Testaccio or the Trastevere. You'll discover where locals eat, sample delicacies, and enjoy a tasty lunch or dinner. We have had very good experiences with tours with Context Rome although they are a bit pricey.

If you are in Rome on a Saturday morning, go to the Palazzo Colonna. It is only a couple of blocks from the crowds in the Forum and Via del Corso. The art collection is impressive and you'll feel like a princess or prince: scenes from "Roman Holiday" were filmed at the palazzo. It's never crowded and not too big so you can visit it in less than an hour if time-pressed.

Even if you don't make arrangements in advanced, taxi rates from Fiumicino Airport to Rome are fixed (48 €). From Rome to Civitavecchia, you need to plan ahead so look into the options suggested by other posters. We have taken Princess' bus, hired a transfer, and taken the train (this option looked great until I had to carry everyone's bags up the stairs at the Civitavecchia's train station because our train did not stop at the platform nearest to the station -- not a huge deal but it was a very hot day).

Have a fantastic first trip to Europe!

Thank you all for all the recommendations😊 I have started by buying the Rick Steves Meditteranean ports book to begin figuring things out and reading the posts on the Europe boards. I'm excited to figure it all out. I've also looked up my roll call and will probably go ahead and join in for all the fun😃

My experience with European hotels is that they function VERY differently than US hotels. In the US, the cruise lines typically get a discount on the rates and are able to pass at least a portion of this to the guest. In Europe, the hotels charge the cruise line full rates and you can often book the same hotel on your own at a lower rate than thru the cruise line. If you are willing to use a European hotel (rather than an American hotel located in Europe) you will often get much better rates. You can also rent apartments by the day if you wish to have cooking facilities.

Transfers--again, for a group you can book private transportation at good rates. You can also use public transportation. When a cruise line was charging $70 for transfers from London to Dover, we rode the bus for 4 pounds each on a book ahead, non-refundable fare. This took us to within a block of our hotel. It was 5 pounds total from the hotel to the cruise terminal. So 2 transfers for a total of 13 pounds rather than $140 thru the cruise line! And we got the scenic version with a stop in Canterbury!

There are several trains from Rome to Civit.....The express trains cost more but don't stop nearly as much.

Edited by moki'smommy

We booked via Trevago and used the Colosseum hotel which was excellent Good breakfast and nice evening bar on the roof Excellent situation and very very budget Comfortable room and bed Free wifi on their computer as well always a plus