Bringing water or soda onboard in Port

andynapril

I'm hoping someone with recent experience will be able to answer. We haven't cruised since the recent change on the policy of bringing bottled water or soda onboard at embarkation. In the past while in port we have purchased bottled water & brought in onboard with no problems, but we were wondering #1)with the new policy do they still allow that and #2) do they allow you to bring soda (bottled or cans). My question is WHILE IN PORT (not during embarkation). Anyone done this lately? Thanks so much.

Ports of Call

All alcohol purchased in ports will be stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained items will be available for collection in a designated lounge on the morning of debarkation.

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard as well as Carnival branded bottled water previously purchased onboard. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

Recommend calling and asking Carnival. We haven't had a problem with bringing water onboard while at port calls, but the answers seem to be all over the place. We also have NEVER been stopped from bringing alcohol onboard while visiting ports in the Caribbean (and I am pretty sure that is a bit unique)

Definitely order water before hand. $3 bucks is cheap enough to not have to deal. Carnival has the cheap water because of the change in the bottle policy.

As for soda at ports JH said on his FB page it's ok. Someone a while back reported theirs was confiscated. If the post above which was taken from carnivals website says what it say, I'm going to print it and take it with me. If they try to confiscate it I'm going to pull that out and see what they say.

Calling carnival would be futile. I'm guess each ship and security is what it's going to depend on.

Thanks everyone. I was really more interested in the soda, but I usually like to get more water too. I think printing Carnival's statement on it and bringing it will be helpful. Thanks so much!

for the record, my last post IS carnival's answer. I recommend following that.

On our October Fantasy cruise, there was a notice in each day's fun times, as well as by the debarkation point stating that bringing back cans of soda from port was NOT allowed. It pretty much stated that all you could bring back was a single Carnival branded water bottle. It was the first time I'd ever seen such a warning on Carnival.

We didn't see anyone try to bring back a 12-pack so I don't know how strictly they enforced the stated policy, or if it just there to try to reduce the number of people re-stocking through social engineering.

I just got back from a Carnival cruise on the Inspiration. I bought a large(ish) bottle of pepsi in port. I drank about 1/4 of it while walking around town and brought the rest on board back to my stateroom. I didn't have any issues.

Edited by draco_m

When they first made the change to no bottles on embarkation, they said they were going to enforce a rule that no cans or bottled beverages could be brought back on the ship at any port. There was a lot of negative reactions as people had been used to bringing non- alcoholic drinks back to their room from ports. They changed that in just a few weeks back to a small quantity of canned non-alcoholic beverages may be brought on at ports to enjoy in your cabin.