Carnival Legend- Alaskan cruise questions

cruiseonthebrain

Hi all,

Just booked an Alaskan cruise for the first time. It's the Carnival Legend out of Seattle. I have a few questions and I greatly appreciate any guidance.

1. What are the top 5 things you would bring on an Alaskan cruise?

2. Can anyone recommend a safe, but inexpensive, hotel near Seatac?

3. Did you pack the same amount of dress clothes for an Alaskan cruise ( I can't see packing a formal dress and suit when we are packing cold weather and rain gear)

4. Are there any "must do" excursions? I am mobility limited but my DH is very adventurous.

Any advice is welcomed. Thank you!!!

Edited by cruiseonthebrain

Thanks! I have looked on there but I was hoping to get some fresh insight. Especially from folks who may have cruised Alaska on the legend or who may have cruised Alaska on a Carnival ship in a vista suite cabin. For example, a hundred years ago I had read a post recommending packing a sleeping bag so you could take in the views from the wraparound balconies non stop. That seems a bit of cumbersome packing to me and I wondered if it was still recommended.

Hi all,

Just booked an Alaskan cruise for the first time. It's the Carnival Legend out of Seattle. I have a few questions and I greatly appreciate any guidance.

3. Did you pack the same amount of dress clothes for an Alaskan cruise ( I can't see packing a formal dress and suit when we are packing cold weather and rain gear)

4. Are there any "must do" excursions? I am mobility limited but my DH is very adventurous.

Know you can hit rain and it can still be cold. Bring a rain coat, and a sweatshirt or sweater for evenings. Bring a hat. I spent a lot of time on balcony watching scenery go by, my ears got cold if not wearing a hat. Bring binoculars, bring your camera!!!

We did the longer bus/train into the yukon in Skagway. It was wonderful, but a long day. There is a shorter train ride, scenery is beautiful.

Whale watching in Juneau was wonderful! It also went to the mendenhall glacier. If you can get on and off a bus I would recommend it highly.

ketchikan we just walked around so I cant tell you much there. Our cruise was only there for the morning (back onboard at noon)

When we did the Alaska cruise in 2014, we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Tukwila, near SeaTac. It's a nice hotel, there's shuttle service to local restaurants/mall and the light rail station, and there were a couple of restaurants that delivered to the hotel. We were also able to book a van to the port the day of our cruise.

Bring binoculars for sure. Plan to dress in layers, the weather can change quickly, and yes, bring a hat and gloves. A waterproof outer jacket is best, and an umbrella came in handy for us. Be sure to have a second pair of walking shoes in case you're out on a rainy day and your feet get wet!

As far as formal wear, we dressed down a bit compared to other cruises. For instance, my husband usually brings a tuxedo but he brought just a suit jacket for this cruise. Many women stuck to pant suits in the dining room.

We visited the Mendenhall Glacier which was awesome and I would highly recommend the Yukon Pass RR in Skagway. We did the 4 hr excursion and it was perfect! Ketchikan is very quaint. We didn't have any excursions planned, but we got a bus tour that was being offered just off the ship. We spent the rest of the afternoon just visiting the shops. We were fortunate to have a longer day there than most since we were returning to Vancouver and not Seattle. Anyone I talked to who went to the Lumber jack Show really enjoyed it.

It is an awesome trip....have fun!

I cruised Alaska a few years ago, although not on Carnival. It was the best vacation we've ever had!

Our favorite excursion was the helicopter ride and advanced glacier trek in Juneau. The trek has 3 activity levels - basically beginner to advanced. We were in our 20s so we did the 5 hour trek and it was phenomenal. If you have mobility issues this may not work, but possibly for your partner?

We went in the summer and it was actually be hot - so if you are going in July, I suggest taking some short sleeves and a pair of shorts just in case it's in the 90 s like it was when we went.

Also nice was that we bought a huge bouquet of flowers at the Seattle fish market and brought them on board. The steward put them in a nice vase and kept them fresh for the whole cruise. It was a wonderful touch.

Enjoy!

Pack a little of bit of different types of clothes so you can dress in layers. We went in May this year on the Legend and it was upper 70s-80s in Juneau and Skagway. It was in the 50's in Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. Ketchikan was in the 70's. We took way too many winter clothes and burned up.

We stayed downtown at the Hampton Inn and Suites as it was close to Amtrak station, our Legend Cruise was leaving from Vancouver as the ship was coming in from Hawaii.

After the cruise we also stayed downtown at Hyatt Olive 8, excellent hotel as well.

If you can do the Tracy Arm Explorer excursion, you will not be sorry. You have to email Carnival ahead of time to get on the list, and they charge it once you are on the ship. No pre booking. They get you with 1/4 mile of the face of the glaciers.

Plan layers. Weather can be anything from 70 and sunny to 50's and rainy and that's in all months except maybe September. We went middle of June and it had been in the upper 60-70 the 3 weeks before our cruise. Our week 50's and drizzle up until the last 2 days.

Since we flew into Seattle we didn't bring coats but purchased some in our first port for less than 20 per jacket and they were nice and warm We did bring rain jackets.

Watch the weather forecast closely right up until you leave it will help.

For excursions we packed jeans and warm layers. For the ship we packed 2 nice outfits and a nice pair of slacks and blouse/shirt. We didn't bring any blankets etc. We just wore sweaters outside.

Whale watching is something you should really try. Mehendela glacier in Juneau is something that can be done even mobility impaired.

have a great trip. our Alaskan cruise was probably our best vaction

We did the Legend's Glacier Bay itinerary in September. It was spectacular.

We stayed at the Sleep Inn by the airport. The shuttle was easy to use and free. They'll take you anywhere within a few miles including the light rail which is super easy to use.

Layers, lots of layers. I didn't overpack and I did a load of laundry mid-trip. It was well worth it. A waterproof jacket is a must. Columbia makes a nice shell to go over all those layers. We just packed a pair of slacks and a couple of nice shirts for elegant night. We didn't look out of place.

Not sure of your itinerary, but the best excursions for us were whale watching in Alaska and the Tongass rainforest in Ketchikan. The whale watching is pretty friendly to those who are mobility-limited but the rainforest would probably be a challenge.

You'll have a great time!!

Ashley

Be sure to pack sun block, sunglasses and your swimsuits. Serious.

A lot of people think you won't need them, but you do. We've cruised Alaska twice and used these items almost daily.

We also used hand warmers on the glacier viewing days, everyone was asking where they could get some.

There are 100's of excellent Alaska excursions. It's up to YOU to take some time and read through the shore excursion lists, and narrow down your interests. There is no point in me, listing my favorites when they aren't going to be yours. :) I always one, to advocate fully, having an adequate budget. This isn't the place to skimp. :)

IF you are on the regular Alaska sailings, that have Tracy Arm on the itinerary, I find it "necessary" to purchase the add on ship excursion. It is grossly superior compared to the cruise ship transit. You get much closer to the glacier/s. Otherwise, do NOT count on much of a view. Most times- the cruise ship doesn't get past Sawyer Island, which only gives a distant, partial view of the South Sawyer Glacier.

As already mentioned, head over to the Alaska board and take some time reading trip reports.

I've traveled Carnival in Alaska for over 15 years, including from the first sailing with their ship naturalist Michelle. Carnival, has whom I consider one of the top 3 sailing Alaska. A great advantage.

Take layers, a lined jacket, hat and gloves. I haven't done any "formal" night thing in over 10 years. :)

I really like the Super 8 at Seatac, convenient for extra days, walkable to the bus, shuttle to light rail and airport. BUT it is on a hill. I've also stayed at the Red Roof, Days Inn, Holiday Inn Express. Always at Seatac.

Edited by Budget Queen

Thanks! I have looked on there but I was hoping to get some fresh insight. Especially from folks who may have cruised Alaska on the legend or who may have cruised Alaska on a Carnival ship in a vista suite cabin. For example, a hundred years ago I had read a post recommending packing a sleeping bag so you could take in the views from the wraparound balconies non stop. That seems a bit of cumbersome packing to me and I wondered if it was still recommended.

We have a Vista Suite cabin reserved for our cruise in May 2016. We do not plan on taking a sleeping bag. We enjoy the warmth of the cabin as opposed to the views on the balcony. To each their own.

Hi all,

Did this cruise 3 times. Excursions, if you have the funds anything to do with helicopters. If not Whitepass train and excursion on boat that goes to glacier. Expensive but so worth it. The ship usually does not get close. Last July saw mountain goats and calving at the glacier. Within 1/4 mile of glacier at one point.

When we did the Alaska cruise in 2014, we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Tukwila, near SeaTac. It's a nice hotel, there's shuttle service to local restaurants/mall and the light rail station, and there were a couple of restaurants that delivered to the hotel. We were also able to book a van to the port the day of our cruise.

Thank you so much!

Thank you all so much! My head is spinning and I am so excited. DH and I have had a tough year and we have always wanted to go to Alaska on a cruise. I have been there due to military assignment but they were brief trips and the farthest I have gotten off the beaten path are the railway tours.

Here is my super dumb question of the night- why bring swimsuits? That really was not on my packing list and I am so thankful somebody brought that to my attention. Isn't it too cold to use the pools?