Diamond Free Drinks

We are taking 01/25 cruise on Antham and this will be first time on RCL in many years. We moved from RCL to Celebrity 5+ years ago. This return to RCL will be first as diamond. With regard to nightly 3 free drinks, can you use them in any of the dining rooms or are you restricted to only bar/lounge use?

You're not suppose to take drinks out of the Diamond Lounge but I saw many do so on the six RCI cruises we've done this year. It seems like the D lounge concierges are not enforcing that since Diamond and higher members can now get their drinks outside that lounge.

Also on all of those cruises we did there were so many Ds onboard that there wasn't enough room for all in the D lounge so many were taking drinks out to sit in public lounge just outside that venue.

On last two Freedom cruises the few evening we didn't take our own bottle of wine into the DR, we were three couples cruising together and only five drank wine thus shared one bottle most evenings, we would get a glass of wine at a bar just outside the DR before going in for supper.

I've seen some reference to the diamond drink benefit as being 3 free drinks available at (almost) any bar with the daily credit on your seapass card, thus eliminating the need to go to the crowded diamond lounge. Is this a frequently used practice and is it for all diamond and above or just diamond+ and above? Sorry for asking about what may be common knowledge to everyone else but having been sailing exclusively on Celebrity for the past five years, I'm not at all familiar with what is standard diamond practices on RCCL.

On most Royal ships dl crowd usually builds from opening until 6pm. It then empties out at start of first seating dinner. On Anthem with dynamic dining traffic is less predictable. On Quantum last March we saw lots of ebb and flow. We like to get there early to have a cocktail and socialize. Later on the way to dinner we pick up a glass of wine at a bar and carry it into the dining room.

Can anyone comment on whether they had issues using their D coupons at alternate bars for various mixed drinks? I've always ordered a margarita on the rocks in the D lounge and was told that anything I could get in the lounge I could get on the coupon.

But the 2 times I tried on Freedom in August, I got a lot of push back from the bars, saying that it was not permitted (I guess because there is tequila and triple sec which makes it 2 liquors?).

If the D lounge is really going to be crowded, then I'd like to use somewhere else, but hate to have to argue that the drink is permitted. Even the D concierge couldn't understand why they were giving me a hard time with my coupons.

Thanks.

Can anyone comment on whether they had issues using their D coupons at alternate bars for various mixed drinks? I've always ordered a margarita on the rocks in the D lounge and was told that anything I could get in the lounge I could get on the coupon.

But the 2 times I tried on Freedom in August, I got a lot of push back from the bars, saying that it was not permitted (I guess because there is tequila and triple sec which makes it 2 liquors?).

If the D lounge is really going to be crowded, then I'd like to use somewhere else, but hate to have to argue that the drink is permitted. Even the D concierge couldn't understand why they were giving me a hard time with my coupons.

Thanks.

Just off Anthem - never any issue getting any of the three free drinks at any bar. Never even had to remind anyone that is was a 'free' diamond drink. Any type of drink we wanted was included as long as it used the alcohol brands/types noted. If they ran out of that alcohol brand they substituted another. In our experience the system was flawless.

Also, there are no 'coupons'. When you use your seapass card it is calculated automatically.

Edited by Sascol

Just off Anthem - never any issue getting any of the three free drinks at any bar. Never even had to remind anyone that is was a 'free' diamond drink. Any type of drink we wanted was included as long as it used the alcohol brands/types noted. If they ran out of that alcohol brand they substituted another. In our experience the system was flawless.

Also, there are no 'coupons'. When you use your seapass card it is calculated automatically.

I know they are pre loaded on the cards, but my issue was the bartenders and servers saying that I couldn't have a margarita because it used two types of alcohol. They were trying to tell me I could have tequila but not mixed in the drink...it was totally weird. And it happened more than once.

I spoke with Bertie, the D concierge, and he told me that they were having issues with rolling out the information to the various bars so we just ended up staying in the lounge. But with the size of Anthem, and the crowd over Christmas week, I'm guessing it's going to be really crowded and I was hoping to find an alternate spot to use them.

I don't care if they use well brand tequila (unless I'm really drinking and then I only use 100% agave tequila to avoid the hangover) so there shouldn't be a problem. But it was definitely awkward on Freedom this summer.

Thanks for the update.

I know they are pre loaded on the cards, but my issue was the bartenders and servers saying that I couldn't have a margarita because it used two types of alcohol.

I do not drink margaritas so I guess it depends on what the second alcohol is. If it is one that's on the list you should be fine.

I do not drink margaritas so I guess it depends on what the second alcohol is. If it is one that's on the list you should be fine.

It's Triple Sec. But I was told that if you could get the drink in the D lounge, you could use the pre loaded "coupons" for them at other bars. So I knew that blended or frozen drinks were out, but it seemed like unless I wanted a glass of wine, or something like a screwdriver, they tried to tell me I couldn't use them.

Oh, well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. If you've reported no issues, I'll just have to hope that it all works out.

On the Anthem, I had one bartender tell me that Margaritas where not included, but after I insisted that I'd been getting them for many nights, he gave in.

Another bartender used Patron without asking me, and then rang up a charge of $14 for it. When I informed him that it was a Diamond drink, he complained that I should have told him when I ordered. Since I had never mentioned it to any bartender previously, I didn't see the need to do it. He finally gave in and credited it back. After that incident, which was already on the 8th or 9th night, I always told the bartenders when I was ordering that it was a Diamond drink.

--------------

On the Anthem, I had one bartender tell me that Margaritas where not included, but after I insisted that I'd been getting them for many nights, he gave in.

Another bartender used Patron without asking me, and then rang up a charge of $14 for it. When I informed him that it was a Diamond drink, he complained that I should have told him when I ordered. Since I had never mentioned it to any bartender previously, I didn't see the need to do it. He finally gave in and credited it back. After that incident, which was already on the 8th or 9th night, I always told the bartenders when I was ordering that it was a Diamond drink.

--------------

This is exactly what concerns me. The same thing happened on Freedom in August. They told me that margaritas weren't included, yet I'd had them several times in the D lounge. I had been told if you can get it in the lounge, you can get it using the D coupon. Kind of upsetting to have the inconsistencies.

DW and I will not become Diamond level until after our next set of cruises. But this thread made me wonder. For those like myself who do not prefer alcoholic drinks, will we be able to use the free diamond drink coupons to get drinks like mud slides, pina coladas, mango tangos without alcohol?

--------------

When I order the drink at the bar, I always tell the bartender that it is a 'Diamond' drink. That short statement eliminates any confusion and/or hassle. If the drink ordered is not on the 'Diamond' list, it can be discussed before it is made.

DW and I will not become Diamond level until after our next set of cruises. But this thread made me wonder. For those like myself who do not prefer alcoholic drinks, will we be able to use the free diamond drink coupons to get drinks like mud slides, pina coladas, mango tangos without alcohol?

Even though we are diamond have not made it to the lounge ourselves, however have heard that frozen drinks are not included in the diamond drinks. Most of the lounges don't have a mixer so they are out. It is my understanding that the official list of drinks is pretty much an alcohol and a mixer (rum and coke, gin and tonic, etc) but some are able to get others.

Even though we are diamond have not made it to the lounge ourselves, however have heard that frozen drinks are not included in the diamond drinks. Most of the lounges don't have a mixer so they are out. It is my understanding that the official list of drinks is pretty much an alcohol and a mixer (rum and coke, gin and tonic, etc) but some are able to get others.

You are correct. The basic rules state that you can have the alcohol that is listed on the Diamond List and a mixer of some type. "Sometimes" the bartender will make a more complex drink for you as a Diamond. Perhaps it depends on how much he has been tipped.... :)

You are correct. The basic rules state that you can have the alcohol that is listed on the Diamond List and a mixer of some type. "Sometimes" the bartender will make a more complex drink for you as a Diamond. Perhaps it depends on how much he has been tipped.... :)

So basically get friendly with a bartender, see if you can talk him into giving you a frozen drink for your Diamond drink, tip him, and then keep going back to him for your drinks. Now, the question is, how often can one find a BT willing to do this?

Personally, I am very disappointed that the frozen drinks are not included. The benefit is far less valuable to me than it would be if I could get drinks (even non-alcoholic versions) that I enjoy drinking.

• 2 weeks later...
I know they are pre loaded on the cards, but my issue was the bartenders and servers saying that I couldn't have a margarita because it used two types of alcohol. They were trying to tell me I could have tequila but not mixed in the drink...it was totally weird. And it happened more than once.

I spoke with Bertie, the D concierge, and he told me that they were having issues with rolling out the information to the various bars so we just ended up staying in the lounge. But with the size of Anthem, and the crowd over Christmas week, I'm guessing it's going to be really crowded and I was hoping to find an alternate spot to use them.

I don't care if they use well brand tequila (unless I'm really drinking and then I only use 100% agave tequila to avoid the hangover) so there shouldn't be a problem. But it was definitely awkward on Freedom this summer.

Thanks for the update.

If the booze you requested is on the list ok, if not NO.:eek:

Triple Sec was listed on the drinks menu on Vision so I easily got a margarita on the rocks several times. It was the first time I'd seen it specifically mentioned, so I don't know if it's a new addition or if it was just on Vision for some reason.

Edited by BND