San Juan, Puerto Rico Leaving at 9:00pm?

Laszlo

Looking to book the Gem out of San Juan, Puerto Rico October 2016. I noticed the ship does not leave until 9:00pm. Was wondering why so late? We were going to fly in the day before but their are 3 flights out of PHL we could take same day and make it. Will still probably fly in the day before.

Celebrity also leaves at 9 or so. Probably because the next stop is close. It really is beautiful as the whole place is lite up. We go to dinner early so we can go to the on deck sail away party. I am sure Gem will have the same thing.

Always a good idea to get there early. You can board the ship, put you carry on away, and go explore the town...

The sail away is just the greatest thing to see, the city all lit up and the forts are wonderful.

Enjoy your cruise and have a drink for me!!! :cool:

We normally do that, I'm wondering what time is boarding if the ship does not leave until 9:00pm. Usually we are the first ones to arrive, but if the ship doesn't leave until late and boarding doesn't start to 2 or 3 pm what do we do with our luggage after checking out of the hotel?

Also the old town is very romantic at night and great just to stroll around the neighborhood, lots of open cafes and restaurants.

So you can leave the ship after you board? What time does boarding start?

We normally do that, I'm wondering what time is boarding if the ship does not leave until 9:00pm. Usually we are the first ones to arrive, but if the ship doesn't leave until late and boarding doesn't start to 2 or 3 pm what do we do with our luggage after checking out of the hotel?

Boarding starts as usual, it only ends later. Disembarking passengers need to disembark early in the morning just as usual and the embarkation starts as soon as possible after that.

We board the Gem the following week for a B2B, but have been in San Juan many times and love to stroll the streets of the Old City at dusk. I would certainly recommend arriving at least a day in advance for several reasons, making sure you have your luggage would be the first, and missing the ambiance of a 15th century City, the second. I hope you enjoy your cruise.:)

We board the Gem the following week for a B2B, but have been in San Juan many times and love to stroll the streets of the Old City at dusk. I would certainly recommend arriving at least a day in advance for several reasons, making sure you have your luggage would be the first, and missing the ambiance of a 15th century City, the second. I hope you enjoy your cruise.:)

Thank you!

Can someone with previous experience cruising from San Juan tell us which Pier is usually being used by NCL. Old San Juan or Pan American?

I have only sailed from there with Celebrity but to my understanding Carnival and NCL use piers at Old San Juan and RCI and Celebrity use Pan American Pier.

(For just regular port visits, ie. no disembarkation/embarkation, most ships dock in Old San Juan.)

But the again, I can be totally wrong about this. ;)

Edited by Demonyte