1. 1. Which ship?

• Freedom to Coz, GC, Jamaica
    • Magic to Belize, Coz, Roatan
    • Conquest to GT, DM, HMC
    • Glory to Coz, Roatan, GC, Belize
    • Splendor to DR, St Thomas, SJ, GT
    • Breeze to GT, SJ, St Kitts, St Maarten
    • Sunshine to Aruba, Curacao, GT

Hello fellow Carnival Cruisers! I'm trying to find a cruise for our family for my young daughters Spring Break. :eek: A lot of you know me around here (mainly for my reviews and the ports section) and you all have been so wonderful in helping me with my planning and cruises. Last April I conducted a survery of several different Carnival ships and did a poll. Everyone talked me into going on the Pride (which wasn't even on the poll :D) and we LOVED it. So...I'm counting on you to help me pick again. :p

My daughter will be 7 on this cruise and it has to be some time after March 25-April 3rd.

I have quite the list going of options so far and my head is spinning.

A little about us, for those of you that don't know me. We LOVE the beach and hanging out. I really love snorkeling, so that's a plus. We are not big drinkers, but will have a drink or two here and there, so hanging out at a bar is not our thing. We also love places that involves active things (zip lining, jet skis, cave tubing, and so on). So, we can take either a lazy day on the beach or to the other extreme of doing crazy stuff. We are NOT the type of people to do "tours" or sightseeing historical places or ruins.

We have been to the western caribbean A LOT (Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya). We have done the eastern side twice now (St Thomas/St Maarten).

This year, we managed to hit new ports only (Grand Turk, Freeport, HMC and Bermuda). I have to admit, I did find myself missing the "normal" ports like Cozumel and Roatan. So...that's not out of the question this time around. But I'm also open to new ports as well.

As far as the ships, we can do big or small, new or old. We are pretty happy with either. We do love the waterparks on the ships, but if they don't have them, that won't be a reason to pass it by. We also LOVED Guys Burgers and the Iguana Cantina was great for breakfast burritos. So I have made note of which ships have them and which don't. Again, not a deal breaker. I can always find something to eat. :D It's just an added amenity for us.

Above I have listed the ships I have been eyeballing. Please vote and tell me why you picked it, any experiences, or other suggestions.

Below is the information I have gathered on them from the cheapest to the most expensive (which isn't always a factor, but it sure makes it easier on the budget and what we do while in port).

1) Freedom- 7 days out of Texas to Cozumel (7-3pm) Grand Cayman (9-5pm) & Jamaica (8-4pm) (We love Cozumel and GC. Not so much Jamaica although we always find something to do there. I'm not too excited about leaving Cozumel by 3pm. It has a Guys/Iguana)

2) Magic - 7 days out of Texas to Belize (8-5pm) Cozumel (9-5pm) and Roatan (6:30-5pm) (We have been wanting to go on the Magic for awhile now and of course love Cozumel & Roatan. Longer hours is a plus in Cozumel. The only negative is no Guys/Iguana Cantina but the waterpark would be awesome!)

3) Conquest - 6 days from FLL to Grand Turk (9-5) Dom Rep (8-4) HMC (8-4) (We LOVE GT & HMC and have never been to Amber Cove yet and it looks awesome, although I'm not sure we would adventure out of the cruise port there on the first time. The negative is it's only 6 days and cost more than the other two 7 day cruises. It has Guys/Iguana/Fish place)

4) Glory - 7 days from Miami to Cozumel (8-5) Roatan (7-3) Grand Cayman (10-6) Belize (8-5) (Love all the ports and wouldn't mind visiting again. Not liking the short stay in Roatan, leaving at 3pm. Has Guys/Iguana/Fish place).

5) Splendor - 7 days from Miami to Dominica (8-4) St Thomas (11-7) San Juan (7:30-3:30) Grand Turk (11-5:30) (Love St Thomas and GT of course. We have never been to DR or SJ. Ship doesn't have the extras like Guys/Iguana but does have a kids water park that I know the munchkin would love)

6) Breeze - 8 day from Miami to Grand Turk (8-4) San Juan (1-8) St Kitts (10-8) St Maarten (8-5) (Love GT and St Maarten. Two new ports we have never been to. The hours in port seem pretty good and this is the ship of all ships that I have been wanting to go on. It's also an 8 day cruise)

7) Sunshine - 8 day from Port Canaveral to Aruba (1-10) Curacao (8-4) Grand Turk (8-4) (Love GT and have never been to Aruba or Curacao and from the comments on the last time I ask for help, it seemed as the ABC islands are THE thing to do...it's just missing Bonnaire. It's also 8 days. However, this is the most expensive ship but does have all the bells and whistles)

So there you have it. My breakdown with my thoughts. Now tell me yours and why you would pick it.

The OTHER problem I'm having is after looking up air flight, since this is obviously spring break, a lot of the flights are already sold out and I might have to get creative.

We normally fly using Southwest. It has ALWAYS been the cheapest for us when checking rates. We also have a cc with them and have over 60,000 points to spend on free flights...IF we can find a flight. :cool:

Texas-probably isn't going to be an issue since you don't fly straight into Galveston. Where do you fly to anyhow? Houston?

Ft Lauderdale-Flights sold out both going there and back on the days we need, so would have to get creative as to when we come and go (as in another day earlier or later).

Miami-as above to FLL bc SW flies to FLL and we have to transport to Miami.

Port Canv- Flights in available, coming home sold out.

So take this all into consideration too and let me know of any thoughts you can come up with on this.

Ok--I would pick the Breeze, but I am on the Conquest sailing :p

The friends that are going with us picked the cruise that fit their schedule and we just followed along. It will be their first cruise, they have 3 children, 14 and 8 year old boys and a 6 year old daughter. They picked the 6 day because they are driving to the port, we live in North Central Illinois so they needed the extra travel days.

If you fly Southwest, you can always fly into West Palm Beach, they have the Tri-Rail train that you can ride down to FLL or Miami its $5pp on the weekends and $6.90pp on the weekdays. We took the Tri-Rail last cruise from WPB to Miami and it worked out great. We are going to use it again in March.

You know you want the Breeze. Go for it!

I have been on the Magic - great ship. But to/from Galveston to the airports is a PIA. Galveston is also notoriously known for fog and March is still one of the "foggy months". (I will be taking the Liberty Repo in March which ends in Galveston - but that is at cruise end - not cruise beginning which I would go crazy with worry over).

I like Conquest class ships (Conquest, Glory & Freedom) for the size, but I am not so sure you will. This class has a "stadium like" Lido deck and decks 3&4 have the galley between the forward and aft dining rooms so you can't go from the front to the back of the ship on these decks. They also don't have Waterworks.

The Sunshine is going to Aruba. I love Aruba. But only 3 ports with 4 sea days. A lot to do on the ship for 4 sea days - but she is going to be very crowded for spring break and she has a lousy space/passenger ratio.

That leaves the Splendor for 7 days OR the Breeze for 8. If the price isn't much of a difference, go for the Breeze. You know you want to.

Out of those choices, I would pick 4, 5, or 6, just for the mere fact that they have 4 ports and the others have 3. Now to narrow those down, I would go with the Breeze. I know you said you wouldn't mind visiting some of the same ports again, but I'm all about seeing new places, so that eliminates the Glory. The Breeze is a much better ship than the Splendor. Dominica is not the same as the Dominican Republic, btw. ;) I've been to all of the ports on the Splendor and Breeze and you can't go wrong with any of them. I really love San Juan and recommend visiting there if you've never been. St. Kitts has some black sand beaches, which are really unique if you've never seen one. 8 days instead of 7, 4 ports instead of 3 incuding 2 new ones, new ship....Yep I guess my pick would be the Breeze. :D

ETA: If you do sail from Galveston, fly into Hobby. It's a 30 minute ride to the port from there.

Edited by gapearl

Mitsusugirly,

FYI Carnival Magic is going into dry dock Feb. 21 thru March 6.

It is reported to be getting these upgrades:

Guys burger

Blue cantina

Blue iguana tequila bar

Red frog rum bar

Pizzeria relocate

Deli relocate

Fat jimmys bar-b-que

Alchemy bar

First I would choose from the two 8 day cruises. Then I would look for a 50-50 port and sea days cruise. Then the departure port. 6 and 7 are 8 days, more sea days on 7. And I like PC better than Miami. We have sailed Sunshine and did not feel crowded as others have said. Sunshine has water works, not sure what breeze has. You said your return flight out of Orlando is sold out, I would choose the Breeze.

I voted for the Magic; I'm pretty sure that by the time that you'd be on the Magic, she'll be out of dry-dock and will have Guy's, Blue Iguana, etc. I thought you'd be the perfect passenger to review the 2.0 Magic - until I saw that you've visited Roatan, Coz, Belize, and GC so many times.

Being Spring Break season, you're going to want as much space as you can find on a ship. The Breeze is our favorite ship in the fleet, and this itinerary is awesome. San Juan offers a mix of cultural and adventure options, Frand Turk not only offers an incredible beach area, but some incredible snorkeling at "the "Wall," St Kitts is a beautiful island, with some great cultural options, and St. Maarten is just simply gorgeous, whether you stay on land, or take a water-based tour. We took an incredible speedboat excursion with Capt. Bob @ Soualiga tours that included all of the high points of St. Maarten.

Selfishly, I'd love to read your review of the post dry-dock Magic; I think that even with the airline challenges into FLL and MIA during break, the Breeze is the best option, offering the combination of the best ship and best itinerary.

I can't remember which part of OH you live - we have so many air options available!

Ok--I would pick the Breeze, but I am on the Conquest sailing :p

The friends that are going with us picked the cruise that fit their schedule and we just followed along. It will be their first cruise, they have 3 children, 14 and 8 year old boys and a 6 year old daughter. They picked the 6 day because they are driving to the port, we live in North Central Illinois so they needed the extra travel days.

If you fly Southwest, you can always fly into West Palm Beach, they have the Tri-Rail train that you can ride down to FLL or Miami its $5pp on the weekends and $6.90pp on the weekdays. We took the Tri-Rail last cruise from WPB to Miami and it worked out great. We are going to use it again in March.

:confused: Wait, why am I just now hearing about this West Palm Beach and Tri-Rail system? :eek: How long does it take to ride it from West Palm Beach to FLL or to Miami? How does this work with luggage? Do a lot of people do this or do the locals get upset because we are taking up space on their transportation (with our luggage and all)? I'm going to check into this. :p

You know you want the Breeze. Go for it!

I have been on the Magic - great ship. But to/from Galveston to the airports is a PIA. Galveston is also notoriously known for fog and March is still one of the "foggy months". (I will be taking the Liberty Repo in March which ends in Galveston - but that is at cruise end - not cruise beginning which I would go crazy with worry over).

I like Conquest class ships (Conquest, Glory & Freedom) for the size, but I am not so sure you will. This class has a "stadium like" Lido deck and decks 3&4 have the galley between the forward and aft dining rooms so you can't go from the front to the back of the ship on these decks. They also don't have Waterworks.

The Sunshine is going to Aruba. I love Aruba. But only 3 ports with 4 sea days. A lot to do on the ship for 4 sea days - but she is going to be very crowded for spring break and she has a lousy space/passenger ratio.

That leaves the Splendor for 7 days OR the Breeze for 8. If the price isn't much of a difference, go for the Breeze. You know you want to.

Oh yea, I forgot about the fog. Sigh. I just read a thread about just how bad the port is in Galveston and plenty of people saying they would never cruise out of there again. Then someone mentioned you had to pay taxes on your tax-free stuff? Say what???

The size isn't going to matter to us. We have sailed on some very small ships and had a wonderful time (less people=seems like less crowded even though it's smaller).

I have read a lot of concerns about the people to space ratio, which has always concerned me. But then again, going on the bigger ships (like Getaway, Breakaway, Epic and Dream were about the same with tons of people).

Price difference (at the moment) between Splendor and Breeze is about $138

I gave my vote to #6, the Breeze. 2 ports you've already been to and love and two brand new ports for you. Both of which seem to have a lot of positive feedback. It's also 8 days instead of 7 with 4 stops instead of 3. Go for it girl!!

#7 also sounds good and I'd personally love to see your review on it! So selfishly I kinda want you to pick that one.

:confused: Wait, why am I just now hearing about this West Palm Beach and Tri-Rail system? :eek: How long does it take to ride it from West Palm Beach to FLL or to Miami? How does this work with luggage? Do a lot of people do this or do the locals get upset because we are taking up space on their transportation (with our luggage and all)? I'm going to check into this. :p

I think it took about 1hr 45min from WPB to Miami, it did not seem long at all. The train makes several stops on its way down to Miami. They had a luggage area in the train car we were in, and there were only 2 other passengers in our car the entire way down. They also have a free shuttle from WPB airport to the Tri-Rail station. Check out the Tri-Rail website.

I vote the Breeze also. We sailed on her for the first time and she easily became my new favorite ship. We liked it so much that we booked it again for February so my son can experience it too! IMO is the best Carnival has to offer! The waterpark and ropes course was awesome and the thrill theater was fun too!

Out of those choices, I would pick 4, 5, or 6, just for the mere fact that they have 4 ports and the others have 3. Now to narrow those down, I would go with the Breeze. I know you said you wouldn't mind visiting some of the same ports again, but I'm all about seeing new places, so that eliminates the Glory. The Breeze is a much better ship than the Splendor. Dominica is not the same as the Dominican Republic, btw. ;) I've been to all of the ports on the Splendor and Breeze and you can't go wrong with any of them. I really love San Juan and recommend visiting there if you've never been. St. Kitts has some black sand beaches, which are really unique if you've never seen one. 8 days instead of 7, 4 ports instead of 3 incuding 2 new ones, new ship....Yep I guess my pick would be the Breeze. :D

ETA: If you do sail from Galveston, fly into Hobby. It's a 30 minute ride to the port from there.

Honestly, I like when the 7 day cruises have 3 ports instead of 4 because it just seems like you are running non-stop and I'm not a morning person. Pulling into port requires me to get up extra early 4 days in a row. :p But, if it has 4 port days, it's not a breaking factor for us because we do a lot of 4 day itineraries.

I did not realize Dominica is not the D.R. Oops. :o It looks like I need to break out google earth and check it out. LOL

Tell me why you like San Juan? When I thought about it before, it seemed like it was just one of those towns you just walk looking at the buildings (and usually that's not something we like to spend time on doing and prefer the beaches). So I'm wondering why you like it. I have a patient that's from San Juan and I can say that it would be neat to see the place and bring her something back. (She's about to turn 96 and hasn't been there in years, bless her heart!).

Black sand beaches?? :eek: That would be so cool. I thought that Hawaii was were you would see that at due to the volcanos. I'm going to have to do some research now.

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to take a look at your reviews on some of these ships/places. I do remember your name as being one of those that people on the Carnival boards like to read their reviews. So maybe that will help. Thanks for posting.

If you'd like to see new places, why don't you go on Miracle and go to Mexico? The beaches are beautiful!

Cheers!

I haven't thought about it since they sail out of CA and last time I looked at airflight there, it was outrageous. I'll have to check. :)

First I would choose from the two 8 day cruises. Then I would look for a 50-50 port and sea days cruise. Then the departure port. 6 and 7 are 8 days, more sea days on 7. And I like PC better than Miami. We have sailed Sunshine and did not feel crowded as others have said. Sunshine has water works, not sure what breeze has. You said your return flight out of Orlando is sold out, I would choose the Breeze.

I liked sailing out of PC a lot too. I think we may be booking the Epic out of there in November and can't wait. However, I wouldn't mind sailing from there this time too.

Glad to hear you didn't find the Sunshine to feel more crowded. However, I'm just wondering since it will be a spring break cruise, what it will be like.

If you are going off the return flight out of Orlando being sold out, most of the Miami/FLL is too. So I'm running into this problem no matter which port I'm looking at except for Texas. :(

I voted for the Magic; I'm pretty sure that by the time that you'd be on the Magic, she'll be out of dry-dock and will have Guy's, Blue Iguana, etc. I thought you'd be the perfect passenger to review the 2.0 Magic - until I saw that you've visited Roatan, Coz, Belize, and GC so many times.

Being Spring Break season, you're going to want as much space as you can find on a ship. The Breeze is our favorite ship in the fleet, and this itinerary is awesome. San Juan offers a mix of cultural and adventure options, Grand Turk not only offers an incredible beach area, but some incredible snorkeling at "the "Wall," St Kitts is a beautiful island, with some great cultural options, and St. Maarten is just simply gorgeous, whether you stay on land, or take a water-based tour. We took an incredible speedboat excursion with Capt. Bob @ Soualiga tours that included all of the high points of St. Maarten.

Selfishly, I'd love to read your review of the post dry-dock Magic; I think that even with the airline challenges into FLL and MIA during break, the Breeze is the best option, offering the combination of the best ship and best itinerary.

I can't remember which part of OH you live - we have so many air options available!

Oh, I didn't realize the Magic is getting upgraded. That's awesome then!!

As I said, visiting these ports again doesn't bother me. We missed not getting to them at all this year and want to return again. If not this cruise, then another this coming year.

We live basically in Columbus (outlining town, but still considered Columbus). There's a lot of options with airlines, but they are all so much more expensive than SW and they all charge that extra baggage fee too. Yucky. :(

I gave my vote to #6, the Breeze. 2 ports you've already been to and love and two brand new ports for you. Both of which seem to have a lot of positive feedback. It's also 8 days instead of 7 with 4 stops instead of 3. Go for it girl!!

#7 also sounds good and I'd personally love to see your review on it! So selfishly I kinda want you to pick that one.

Noted. :D Good points.

Going with the Breeze based on 2 things:

1) You seem really excited about the ports, and some of the other port stops seem to be too short.

2) You seem really excited about the Breeze.

No negatives mentioned on this one, while the rest had some negatives.

Hmm, interesting that I did that. I was just thinking as I was typing and didn't really realize this. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

I just had to come back and comment...same problem with flying into West Palm Beach. Most are sold out and the 2 that aren't is crazy expensive. :(

It's spring break along with Easter, I checked everyday, several times a day and finally some decent flights opened up, but they were gone fast. We fly from Chicago Midway and for our March cruise I booked one-way tickets. We are flying into West Palm Beach but coming back thru FLL, and we are staying an extra day before and after.

I think it took about 1hr 45min from WPB to Miami, it did not seem long at all. The train makes several stops on its way down to Miami. They had a luggage area in the train car we were in, and there were only 2 other passengers in our car the entire way down. They also have a free shuttle from WPB airport to the Tri-Rail station. Check out the Tri-Rail website.

Not bad. I will definitely have to keep this in mind when looking for a cruise to either of these places. I like adding options. :p

Great to know that they have a luggage area. That makes it a lot nicer and puts my mind at ease.

So this rail would be good for any WPB, FLL or Miami area cruises right? There isn't one that services Port Canveral is there? :o

I vote the Breeze also. We sailed on her for the first time and she easily became my new favorite ship. We liked it so much that we booked it again for February so my son can experience it too! IMO is the best Carnival has to offer! The waterpark and ropes course was awesome and the thrill theater was fun too!

That's what my opinion has always been too. (It's the best in the fleet with all the options). I love the thrill ride theaters and know this would be awesome. The waterpark and ropes course would be great too (we have enjoyed them on the Breakaway and Getaway and they are so much fun).

I think the Breeze is the best fit for you. Enjoy your planning, whichever ship you choose! :)

Thanks Jamman! I'll have to read your review(s) on the Breeze and Splendor. Hope things are well with you and the family. :)

It's spring break along with Easter, I checked everyday, several times a day and finally some decent flights opened up, but they were gone fast. We fly from Chicago Midway and for our March cruise I booked one-way tickets. We are flying into West Palm Beach but coming back thru FLL, and we are staying an extra day before and after.

Yea I'll have to get creative no matter what we decide. Our problem is there's 3 of us and that makes it even harder for that many positions to open up. Sigh. The things I do for the love of cruising. :D

7) Sunshine - 8 day from Port Canaveral to Aruba (1-10) Curacao (8-4) Grand Turk (8-4) (Love GT and have never been to Aruba or Curacao and from the comments on the last time I ask for help, it seemed as the ABC islands are THE thing to do...it's just missing Bonnaire. It's also 8 days. However, this is the most expensive ship but does have all the bells and whistles)

Because of your love of snorkeling, the above with 2 of the ABC islands is the cruise for you! :)

LuLu

Take a look at the Breeze sailing on April 9 - still an 8 day, but a different itinerary than you posted. We cruised this itinerary in September, and loved it. LaRomana, Grand Turk, Curaçao, and Aruba, and a great price. Airfare on SWA isn't bad either, if you leave CMH on Friday, and fly home Monday. Check it out!

If you'd like to see new places, why don't you go on Miracle and go to Mexico? The beaches are beautiful!

Cheers!

I just checked pricing. It's even more to cruise from there than all of the ships I have listed already. Plus, same problem with air flights (sigh) and not being available. :(

Because of your love of snorkeling, the above with 2 of the ABC islands is the cruise for you! :)

LuLu

I find it interesting that there haven't been more people pick this cruise though. I know it was highly rated on the last poll I did when I ended up picking the Pride. :confused: