Global Entry...Finally!

wjslam

I will certainly be on the lookout, too, for the Nexus/GE line next time!

BTW, we drove across the border at Blaine, WA, last week, and there was one Nexus line, and one that said RFID - anyone know that one?

Called my brother who lives in Bellingham to ask if he had any idea about the RFID lane since he goes to BC at least twice a month. No clue but I did find the following on the good ol' internet.

Published: April 13, 2011, 12:00 AM

BLAINE, Wash. (AP) — It soon should be easier for motorists with an enhanced driver license to pass through Peace Arch border crossing at Blaine.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection opens a “ready lane” on Monday to expedite travelers with radio frequency identification (RFID) documents.

In addition to the Washington enhanced driver license, they include the NEXUS card, new permanent resident card and U.S. passport card.

Customs and Border Protection spokesman Thomas Schreiber says the ready lane should be 10-to-15 seconds faster per car, which can make a big difference over time in a line of traffic.

As for Pre-check and the Nexus card-my husband was rarely getting the pre-check. Maybe one out of four flights. He was getting it randomly so I knew the info was good. I asked at the airport one time and was told pre-check is never guaranteed but usually is applied to those who have applied for the various programs. He was just very unlucky with the random selection.

Two things to ensure: 1) you are flying on an airline that participates in TSA pre-check. If you're not flying with a participating carrier, no card will get you pre-check. 2) Make sure your Nexus card number is in the Known Traveller Number (KTN) field on your reservation.

If pre-check doesn't appear on your boarding pass, then ask an agent to ensure that your KTN is on the file. After it's inserted, pre-check should show up on a reprint.

The known traveler number is correct and in his profile and Alaska Air is part of pre-check. Not sure why he isn't selected 100% except for what the TSA agent told me about it's not a guarantee, even with signing up for any of the known traveler programs. We will see what the February flight brings.............

The known traveler number is correct and in his profile and Alaska Air is part of pre-check. Not sure why he isn't selected 100% except for what the TSA agent told me about it's not a guarantee, even with signing up for any of the known traveler programs. We will see what the February flight brings.............

I mostly fly Alaska out of Seattle as well, and in my experience I have to enter the KTN each time I book a flight, even though it's in my profile. I don't know why.

The TSA agent was incorrect. Your husband should be getting PreCheck each time. I have gotten PreCheck on every single Alaska flight since I got Global Entry. Possibly his number is not being attached to the ticket, or there is something subtly different between his Nexus info and the info associated with the ticket.

Called my brother who lives in Bellingham to ask if he had any idea about the RFID lane since he goes to BC at least twice a month. No clue but I did find the following on the good ol' internet.

Published: April 13, 2011, 12:00 AM

BLAINE, Wash. (AP) — It soon should be easier for motorists with an enhanced driver license to pass through Peace Arch border crossing at Blaine.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection opens a “ready lane” on Monday to expedite travelers with radio frequency identification (RFID) documents.

In addition to the Washington enhanced driver license, they include the NEXUS card, new permanent resident card and U.S. passport card.

Customs and Border Protection spokesman Thomas Schreiber says the ready lane should be 10-to-15 seconds faster per car, which can make a big difference over time in a line of traffic.

Interesting! When I looked it up on a Wiki site - it said it was an embedded chip mainly used for stock, animals, etc., or for paying tolls. I figured the people going through that lane had chips!:D Some people with us in the one Nexus access lane were going over to the RFID lane; maybe we'll try it next time.

Edited by Vict0riann

The known traveler number is correct and in his profile and Alaska Air is part of pre-check. Not sure why he isn't selected 100% except for what the TSA agent told me about it's not a guarantee, even with signing up for any of the known traveler programs. We will see what the February flight brings.

Global Entry includes Pre Check, but one is not always guaranteed Pre Check. The officer told me that I'd be randomly selected to NOT have Pre Check every once in a while.

But I should have it more than not.

We used the global entry line yesterday at port Everglades and it was great. They did ask to see my global entry card which I had and breezed on through. It was the line all the way to the right when exiting.

Bottom line that's fantastic! Since there are no kiosks that's a nice accommodation for those who have paid for Global Entry. I'm sure we would have taken our cards since we keep them with our passports but now we'll make sure we do.