Global Entry...Finally!

wjslam

I went to the GE website and learned a lot except for how long it's good for. So I pay $100 and go through the whole process.... and is it good as long as my passport or is it separate from my passport? I'll be renewing late 2016. Thanks, m--

GE is good for five years. It is separate from the passport process.

GE included PreCheck. Your Known Traveler Number is valid for both, nckude t n your airline bookings and you'll get Pre. Names must match identically of course.

BWI is my home airport and I've never seen the Pre line closed, usually fly out of the 2x/month.

I have never gotten TSA pre check because of Global entry. It would not have mattered last week because I was traveling with my daughter who doesn't have either, but the TSA pre check line used for Southwest was closed the Saturday after Thanksgiving, or at least it was at 6:30-700am and the line was long.

I was told we would have to pay and go through

approval for TSA pre check.

I have been on over 20 different airlines in the last 5 years so not consistent with any of them, and Southwest, JetBlue, Qantas, Japan Airlines, Cathay Pacific, American and LAN, LAN Ecuador and more in the last year. I always put my trusted traveler number in the reservations.

Edited by Jade13

I have never gotten TSA pre check because of Global entry. It would not have mattered last week because I was traveling with my daughter who doesn't have either, but the TSA pre check line used for Southwest was closed the Saturday after Thanksgiving, or at least it was at 6:30-700am and the line was long.

I was told we would have to pay and go through approval for TSA pre check.

Have you added your number into the known traveler spot on your airline reservation? If not, that's the problem (besides it being closed).

Have you added your number into the known traveler spot on your airline reservation? If not, that's the problem (besides it being closed).

Always.

I think one time my DH's ticket was coded TSA pre check and they let me go through with him, and another time they just sent us to the TSA pre check line that was empty, but mostly not and no guarantee.

Besides JetBlue and Cathay Pacific, we are looking at flying either Aer Lingus or Alitalia next year.

Edited by Jade13

Always.

I think one time my DH's ticket was coded TSA pre check and they let me go through with him, and another time they just sent us to the TSA pre check line that was empty, but mostly not and no guarantee.

That's odd. If I lived in the USA I'm not sure I would go through the pain of getting this. That said I likely don't fly more than 4 or 5 times a year at the most (outside Canada). If I was doing it a lot that would be different.

Edited by cruz chic

GE included PreCheck. Your Known Traveler Number is valid for both, nckude t n your airline bookings and you'll get Pre. Names must match identically .

I have asked and have been told GE does not include pre check. I have had GE for over a year and never get TSA pre check. I understand it has to show up on the boarding pass but mine never has.

That's odd. If I lived in the USA I'm not sure I would go through the pain of getting this. That said I likely don't fly more than 4 or 5 times a year at the most (outside Canada). It I was doing it a lot that would be different.

I don't want to spend the money. It took months to get GE, but actual meeting was quick.

Plus when I go through a busy airport such as BWI and pre check line closed, I am glad I did not pay for it. Not all of the airlines at the airports we frequent even have pre check lines.

Edited by Jade13

I had no idea about this until someone pointed out on cruise critic. Now I add it into all my bookings. I'm not used to this since the airports in Canada I use just let you show it and you have a special line.

You show your Global entry card and they just let you in the pre check line? That won't happen in the US, at least not at the big airports.

You show your Global entry card and they just let you in the pre check line? That won't happen in the US, at least not at the big airports.

There is no pre check line in the airports I use in Canada. I have a nexus card and there is a nexus line. When I go through the pre check line in the USA I don't have to take my liquids ziplock out. I always do in Canada.

I have asked and have been told GE does not include pre check. I have had GE for over a year and never get TSA pre check. I understand it has to show up on the boarding pass but mine never has.

Not sure who you are asking but if you put your trusted traveler number in your airline reservation you will get pre-check. The Glocal Entry website where you activated your card has a faq section that explains it. If you are asking TSA at the airport, they won't know. They are told to look for pre-check on the ticket.

Edited by jaspersmycat

Part of getting Global Entry is getting a KTN: Known Traveler Number. You enter it when booking flights and it should code your boarding pass as TSA Precheck. You don't have to take your GE with you to use TSA Precheck.

Maybe the airline is incapable of doing it? Or the airport doesn't have it? (Don't know if any of this is true).

IIRC ours took about two months. Our fingerprinting was done at JFK and we arranged to do it before or after flights taken.

I'm sorry but that's flat-out incorrect. We originally got GE for Pre. Th CPB explicitly states GE includes Pre. Here is proof:

Are You Eligible?

Global entry members are eligible to participate in TSA Precheck Logo. U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents enrolled in NEXUS or SENTRI are also eligible to participate in TSA Precheck Logo, as well as Canadian citizens who are members of NEXUS.

How It Works

If you are a Global Entry member or eligible NEXUS or SENTRI member, enter your membership number (PASS ID) in the “Known Traveler Number” field when booking reservations, or enter it into your frequent flyer profile with the airline. The membership number enables Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA) Secure Flight System to verify that you are a legitimate CBP Trusted Traveler and eligible to participate in TSA Precheck Logo.

Where You Can Find Your Membership Number

You can find your Trusted Traveler member number by logging into your Global Online Enrollment System (GOES) account. Your membership number is listed toward the bottom of the page. Your membership number is also located on the back of your Trusted Traveler card in the upper-left corner.

What is TSA Pre✓®?

The TSA Precheck Logo program expedites traveler screening through TSA security checkpoints. For a complete list of participating airports in TSA Precheck Logo or for more information, visit http://www.tsa.gov or call the TSA Contact Center at 1-866-289-9673.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/tsa-precheck

We have Global Entry. But it doesn't help with TSA pre check. I am not sure if it worth our time to apply for TSA pre check since not all airlines or airports use it. I was just in BWI over thanksgiving and the TSA pre check line was closed.

We also flew in from Hong Kong a few weeks ago and went to the wrong kiosk, not GE. It didn't matter since there was no wait.

It sounds like GE will be helpful in FT Lauderdale where we plan to book a 10:00am flight after a transatlantic. Maybe a better chance of making the flight.

If you have Global Entry you automatically have TSA Pre Check. Just enter the GE number in your flight reservation. It works for me. On AA and Delta and other airlines where I have FF accounts it is stored in my profile and I automatically get pre check when flying with those airlines.

You do not need to separately apply for TSA PreCheck

Terri

Someone gave you wrong information. I don't know if you can use it on a non US carrier.

Terri

You can't. HOWEVER our Britsh friends got Precheck last month flying on Virgin from IAD-LHR. That was .... bizarre!

I don't believe there's anything to stop international carriers from participating in TSA Precheck. They just don't, except for Air Canada.

I don't believe there's anything to stop international carriers from participating in TSA Precheck. They just don't, except for Air Canada.

Exactly. We have been mostly on international carriers (departing from a US airport) in the last year such as LAN, Japan Airlines, and Cathay Pacific. I thought the last time I was on JetBlue they did not participate but not sure about that and it was last year. Southwest has my Trusted Traveler number and I was not given pre check, and the line at BWI was closed, but I tend to take really early flights and at the airport at 6:30am.

Someone posted the wording on the GE website and I am pretty sure it had changed in the past year and a half to allow pre check for some airlines at some airports, but it is obviously not guaranteed.

Last year we took a flight on American to meet up with a LAN flight and my DH was given pre check but not me and I was told it was not guaranteed when I asked and TSA said they get questions like that all of time with passengers thinking if they have GE they have pre check. It looks like that has changed since last year and language on GE website has changed as well.

Glad to hear GE will help in Ft Lauderdale after a cruise next year. We may attempt to make a 10:00am flight.

Edited by Jade13

Here is another anomaly. I flew back from Sarasota on Thursday and I looked at my Boarding pass and my sister's Boarding pass. I have Nexus and she doesn't but both our Boarding passes had TSA precheck.

I wondered if that was because I booked both our tickets.

When we flew back from Houston, wife's boarding pass had TSA precheck and mine did not. I was directed to join her in the precheck line. Neither of us has any kind of pre-approval.

Here is another anomaly. I flew back from Sarasota on Thursday and I looked at my Boarding pass and my sister's Boarding pass. I have Nexus and she doesn't but both our Boarding passes had TSA precheck.

I wondered if that was because I booked both our tickets.

When we flew back from Houston, wife's boarding pass had TSA precheck and mine did not. I was directed to join her in the precheck line. Neither of us has any kind of pre-approval.

Yeah they randomly opt-in anyone. That's supposed to be stopping thankfully, it's a huge cluster when people don't know what to do and hold up the line.

That makes no sense, I thought the purpose of TSA Precheck was to pre-verify the person and it does not include verifying anyone that may travel with them.

Edited by Boytjie

That makes no sense, I thought the purpose of TSA Precheck was to pre-verify the person and it does not include verifying anyone that may travel with them.

I thought it peculiar too. Maybe I just look trustworthy? The thing was there was a line at the regular screening and none at the pre-check. Probably just trying to move things along and figured if they could trust the wife, they could trust her husband.

We have Global Entry. But it doesn't help with TSA pre check. I am not sure if it worth our time to apply for TSA pre check since not all airlines or airports use it. I was just in BWI over thanksgiving and the TSA pre check line was closed.

We also flew in from Hong Kong a few weeks ago and went to the wrong kiosk, not GE. It didn't matter since there was no wait.

It sounds like GE will be helpful in FT Lauderdale where we plan to book a 10:00am flight after a transatlantic. Maybe a better chance of making the flight.

As someone already mentioned, TSA Pre-check is included with Global Entry so there is no need to try and obtain Pre-check if you already have Global Entry. I suppose if the Pre-check line at the airport was closed then yeah, neither one does do you much good but I didn't think that's what you meant.

Edited by joepeka

Yeah they randomly opt-in anyone. That's supposed to be stopping thankfully, it's a huge cluster when people don't know what to do and hold up the line.

We've gotten that random pre-check quite a few times the last couple of years but I too read they are ending that.