Disney "Rules" irrelevant

moki'smommy

I took a 7 night cruise last week on another line, and have been reading thru posts here. I've come to the conclusion that people who cruise on DCL have a mindset of "how can I slide the rules" or "this doesn't apply to me" while guests on at least one other line are much more in step with the policies. Of course the fact that the other line actually enforces their policies while DCL seems willing to negotiate everything but price obviously plays a part.

Examples:

Formal night attire--other line, we knew in advance that if we did not "dress up," we would be asked to eat elsewhere or go change. NO, formal wear was not required, but something dressy was. On DCL, ripped jeans are fine.

Normal night attire--other line the phrase was "smart casual" which was further defined as "what you might wear to a nice restaurant at home. No shorts will be permitted." This was enforced. If you didn't want to dress, you were invited to eat elsewhere.

On DCL boards, the posts are "can I wear board shorts?" (swimsuit) Can I wear a swimsuit with a see thru cover up?

Other line--NO moving up of kids. Siblings can move DOWN to be together. DCL--most age guidelines are flexible if you talk to the right CM and make your case in a way that appeals to them.

Other line--adult only areas means people 18 and older only. Period. End of discussion. DCL--walking/running/skating thru adult only areas is fine regardless of age. Coming in to "just talk to mom" for a "minute" is OK too. Oh yeah, DCL policy is "no heelies," but that's not enforced either.

Not sure what my point is here, but I find the different mindset interesting. And I wonder why rules are made and signs/notices are posted if they are all "flexible."

I took a 7 night cruise last week on another line' date=' and have been reading thru posts here. I've come to the conclusion that people who cruise on DCL have a mindset of "how can I slide the rules" or "this doesn't apply to me" while guests on at least one other line are much more in step with the policies. Of course the fact that the other line actually enforces their policies while DCL seems willing to negotiate everything but price obviously plays a part.

Examples:

Formal night attire--other line, we knew in advance that if we did not "dress up," we would be asked to eat elsewhere or go change. NO, formal wear was not required, but something dressy was. On DCL, ripped jeans are fine.

Normal night attire--other line the phrase was "smart casual" which was further defined as "what you might wear to a nice restaurant at home. No shorts will be permitted." This was enforced. If you didn't want to dress, you were invited to eat elsewhere.

On DCL boards, the posts are "can I wear board shorts?" (swimsuit) Can I wear a swimsuit with a see thru cover up?

Other line--NO moving up of kids. Siblings can move DOWN to be together. DCL--most age guidelines are flexible if you talk to the right CM and make your case in a way that appeals to them.

Other line--adult only areas means people 18 and older only. Period. End of discussion. DCL--walking/running/skating thru adult only areas is fine regardless of age. Coming in to "just talk to mom" for a "minute" is OK too. Oh yeah, DCL policy is "no heelies," but that's not enforced either.

Not sure what my point is here, but I find the different mindset interesting. And I wonder why rules are made and signs/notices are posted if they are all "flexible."[/quote']

It think it's because most people like to know there are rules. But they won't always abide by them. As to the enforcement of said rules on DCL - unfortunately it comes from the Disney mindset that "no guest should be unhappy".

I think that "no kids aging up" thing (along with the "only siblings can age down") is a great idea. I think there will be fewer older siblings who want to go to the younger club.

It think it's because most people like to know there are rules. But they won't always abide by them. As to the enforcement of said rules on DCL - unfortunately it comes from the Disney mindset that "no guest should be unhappy".

I think that "no kids aging up" thing (along with the "only siblings can age down") is a great idea. I think there will be fewer older siblings who want to go to the younger club.

The line we were on was Princess. There was a nice age mix on the cruise--many kids, but not overwhelmingly so. The big thing was that I never saw an UNSUPERVISED kid; when a kid was out on the deck, an adult was always nearby. I can't say it is this way on every cruise, but I was impressed. On DCL we see kids from about age 8 and up running around the ship on their own including traversing the adult only areas.

Shmoo, that is exactly the point. Mom may think the kids "need" to be together, but when confronted with the fact that the only way to make that happen is to move down the older one it is suddenly OK for the kids to be in their own, age appropriate groups. No way the older one wants to move down. I do not know how developmentally delayed kids are handled, but I was told that the ages are strictly enforced with the exception of an older sibling moving down if that's what the family wishes.

I had 2 opportunities to talk to kids about their experiences on the ship. A brother and sister, about ages 5 and 6, joined me in the hot tub. They asked my permission first, to which I replied 'If it's OK with your mom." They proceeded to tell me all about their amazing cabin with a bunk bed and 2 TVs (had to have been a mini suite or a full suite). They loved everything about the cruise. I also asked a 10 year old what he thought of the programming--he was not very communicative, but said it was fun.

I don't want to paint this as overly rosy. Obviously there is a difference between a cruise with 400 kids (ours), vs. 800 kids (the week before) vs. 1200-2000 on a DCL ship. But I saw some things that DCL could learn from. Obviously, there were also things that we felt DCL does better--one big thing is that the ships are prettier, inside and out. Still, given that our 7 night Western on Princess in a balcony cost half of the cheapest similar cruise on DCL in an inside cabin, we were very pleased.

The rules are irrelevant because of the Disney attitude to keeping everyone happy as Shmoo pointed out.

The most Magical Place On Earth cannot transfer in the same fashion on to the ships.

It is too small of an environment.

Unfortunately DCL have taken the never say no policy so far it is a do as you like anyway policy now.

And yes, they will never make everyone happy with the kids clubs policy, but I personally feel they have bent and bent to the point where they have placated so many demands from the entitled parents, that pissing off the few vocalists has created kids zones that should not and would not happen on land. Or other ships.

And probably pisses off more people that are less vocal about it than the few entitled ones.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

• 3 weeks later...

I've read plenty of posts and blogs from people on other cruise lines about how they were able to smuggle alcohol on board against that particular cruise lines' policies and/or how they were able to get around other policies (or tried to or tried to bully their way around). It's not just DCL. Anyone who doesn't believe that rules pertain to them will try to do that anywhere, not just on DCL.

I've read about people who say that DCL doesn't enforce the under 18 policy in the pool and café areas but I've only ever seen it occur once in our 9 DCL cruises where a mother brought what was clearly an under 18 teenager into the Cove Café to get a drink every day but then left immediately after getting it. So I think that lack of enforcement for under 18 is not necessarily widespread. Given that we have no children, we are sensitive to it and have found it to be quite well enforced or we would be very unhappy.

I must admit to not being terribly happy about the laxness of enforcement of, and eventually change, to the dress code in the dining room to allow shorts. DCL is a casual environment which is why we like it but I think that it's only courtesy to treat a nice dining environment as such and dress accordingly but perhaps I was brought up somewhat old-fashioned. I have, however, heard from friends who cruise other cruise lines that some of them are going that way too - more and more casual or looking the other way when people don't adhere to the stated policy. So, once again, I don't think that it's confined to DCL.

Speaking of rules....leaving in a couple of week on the Fantasy. Grandson will be 3 in April, but he is already potty trained and has been for a few months. His cousin will be 4 in February. My question is, will they let him go to the kids club with her, or are they strict about under 3 goes to pay by hour nursery?

I doubt very much that either of them will want to spend very much time in there, as long as there are water activities around. LOL

But was just wondering if the age cut off was more about potty training? Thanks

Debbie

Edited by crzndeb

Speaking of rules....leaving in a couple of week on the Fantasy. Grandson will be 3 in April, but he is already potty trained and has been for a few months. His cousin will be 4 in February. My question is, will they let him go to the kids club with her, or are they strict about under 3 goes to pay by hour nursery?

I doubt very much that either of them will want to spend very much time in there, as long as there are water activities around. LOL

Debbie

Under 3 must go to the nursery. But you can take him into the kid's club during the Open House hours (generally 1 or 2 hours once or twice a day).

A few other lines are being lax about the dress code as well. They have gone by the way side and are just about allowing almost any kind of dress in. I am not going to let it bother me. If I want to dress up I will continue to do so. I can't control what other people do.

I have to disagree. I have sailed on three other lines, and I see far more people trying to break the rules in RCCL--from smuggling booze and defying dress codes to feigning disabilities to book larger cabins or trying to figure out how to let their "mature" (they are always mature beyond their years even if the parents aren't :roll eyes: ) kid into the adult areas.

I have never seen anyone try to sidestep rules in Windstar or Paul Gauguin, perhaps because they are logical and the people who cruise them have the sense an and decency to understand how to dress, know that an iron is a safety hazard in a cruise ship, and at least in the PG, all the booze is free to begin with.

Debbie

Because their legal department got involved, they are strict about the ages of 3 and 17 in the kid programming. A child cannot participate until the day they turn 3 (other than open house hours), and they are out of the teen program on the day they turn 18.

If a child has a birthday during the cruise, you sometimes need to go to GS to get a new KTTW card to indicate their new status. Also, teens that turn 18 during the cruise have had issues with being denied participation while they are still 17. A little parental intervention quickly fixes this.

Because their legal department got involved' date=' they are strict about the ages of 3 and 17 in the kid programming. A child cannot participate until the day they turn 3 (other than open house hours), and they are out of the teen program on the day they turn 18.

If a child has a birthday during the cruise, you sometimes need to go to GS to get a new KTTW card to indicate their new status. Also, teens that turn 18 during the cruise have had issues with being denied participation while they are still 17. A little parental intervention quickly fixes this.[/quote']

Yes, unfortunate that one bad apple ruined it for all.

Wow, there were a LOT of special snowflakes on my cruise. Adults. Kids, for the most part, were pretty well behaved.

During one Christmas show (with Santa), they had that front section partitioned off for the kids to sit, with the parents behind. One lady decided to sit up at the very front with her kids. Old kids. Youngest was like 8 or 9. The rest were tweens. Cast member asked her to stand in back, or at least go to the back of the kids section so the small kids wouldn't be blocked.

Witch straight up said "No." Didn't want to move. You can't make me. Paraphrasing the last couple sentences. Cast member was shocked and her and the other one didn't really know what to do, so they just left the witch alone.

Which opened up the floodgates and a bunch more parents started flooding into the kids section. Luckily, most were respectful and sat towards the back with their kids allowing the smaller, unattended kids to scooch up to the front and see unimpeded.

The rules are irrelevant because of the Disney attitude to keeping everyone happy as Shmoo pointed out.

The most Magical Place On Earth cannot transfer in the same fashion on to the ships.

It is too small of an environment.

Unfortunately DCL have taken the never say no policy so far it is a do as you like anyway policy now.

And yes, they will never make everyone happy with the kids clubs policy, but I personally feel they have bent and bent to the point where they have placated so many demands from the entitled parents, that pissing off the few vocalists has created kids zones that should not and would not happen on land. Or other ships.

And probably pisses off more people that are less vocal about it than the few entitled ones.

ex techie

The Line has better manners than some of its guests.

The line we were on was Princess. There was a nice age mix on the cruise--many kids' date=' but not overwhelmingly so. The big thing was that I never saw an UNSUPERVISED kid; when a kid was out on the deck, an adult was always nearby. I can't say it is this way on every cruise, but I was impressed. On DCL we see kids from about age 8 and up running around the ship on their own including traversing the adult only areas.

.[/quote']

Every cruise is different. I can tell you that the one Princess cruise I went on he had the worst behaved children out of all of my Cruises.

Kids were doing cannonballs into the indoor pool from the upper level hot tubs on Coral.

Playing dingdong ditch in the hallways late at night.

Running and pounding down the hallways at all hours.

I think that you have to remember the Disney caters to families. Families have children and as much as we would all love children to be perfect and always follow the rules, they don't. Parents do you need to do their part but again, not all of them do . When it comes to dress code I like the casual feel. We have been on so many cruises that we're tired of dressing up. Getting young children to dress-up can also be quite a challenge.

I see more "can I break this rule?" questions on the other cruise line forums. But we all have different experiences, right?

As you noted, we each have different experiences...different cruises and different ships.

I've been on deck 2 on a DCL cruise where I was so impressed with the behavior of the "tweens" that I stopped into the Edge to compliment the staff. The CM on duty said they had worked very hard with the kids on the first few days (of a 14 night cruise) to make sure that they understood the consequences of hogging elevators (where they push every button), making noise in the halls, disturbing other guests, etc. They figured that if they got everything off to a good start, we'd all have an enjoyable 14 days. It worked. It didn't hurt that there were relatively small numbers of kids in each age group on this cruise, but there always seemed to be a dozen or so in the Edge area when I walked past.

We've had lots of good interactions with kids on the ships. Unfortunately, we've also had some really negative ones.

That was one true advantage to the gates locking out the concierge rooms on the Dream from non-concierge passengers. Kept the ding dong ditch crowd away. Because it was "local traffic only," it was extraordinarily quiet in the hallway.

That was one true advantage to the gates locking out the concierge rooms on the Dream from non-concierge passengers. Kept the ding dong ditch crowd away. Because it was "local traffic only," it was extraordinarily quiet in the hallway.

There are similarly quiet non-concierge locations. Not locked out to non-guests, but places where no one has any business being unless they have a cabin in the area. 5 aft on the Magic and Wonder is one of my favorites.

At least on DCL, a quick call to Guest Services will result in security appearing to keep an eye out for unparented tweens. Ding dong ditch is as much a parental problem as a kid issue!

Edited by moki'smommy

There are similarly quiet non-concierge locations. Not locked out to non-guests' date=' but places where no one has any business being unless they have a cabin in the area. 5 aft on the Magic and Wonder is one of my favorites.

At least on DCL, a quick call to Guest Services will result in security appearing to keep an eye out for unparented tweens. Ding dong ditch is as much a parental problem as a kid issue![/quote']

Agree that it is a parental issue as well. We had a terrible time with it in RCCL--and no amount of calling anyone would resolve it. The convenience of being next to the elevators was great, but it also made it far too easy for the brats to screw around unsupervised.

What did the kids do? I like being near elevators, but if it's really subject to brats annoying me, I'll book further away.

Rang the doorbell constantly, day and night. One would hold the elevator while the other ran around the corner and rang the bell no then ran back and jumped in the elevator.