Equinox..left ship this morning

tbmrt

Celebrity did fabulous on our 11 night cruise w stops in GC, cartagena, panama, costa rica and Cozumel...will write review when dust settles, but in the meantime

, ask anything you'd like to know.

Welcome Home, glad to read the sailing lived up to your expectations.

We got off so ya'll could get on! And just this week the wifester told friends that it was our best cruise in 25 years!

EW

Hey TBMRT:

We're on Equinox Jan 2/16 but a different itinerary. Looking forward to your review. I have a few questions:

1) Did you try any of the specialty restaurants? if you did, how were they?

2) What kind of shape was the lawn club in? Was bocce ball allowed?

3) How was the gastopub?

Thanks

mj

Hey TBMRT:

We're on Equinox Jan 2/16 but a different itinerary. Looking forward to your review. I have a few questions:

3) How was the gastopub?

Thanks

mj

We were on the Eauinox for this same itinerary on Nov 9th. We ate in 2 specialties, Tuscan Grill and Silk Harvest. We enjoyed them both, the food was good and the service great. We were in a suite so we had them included, I am not sure if we would have gone to both if we had to pay. We ate in Luminae so the service was excellent so many is hard to say.

The lawn club was in good shape, the grass was green and seemed lush. There was golf putting, Bocce ball being played most days at different times.

We only went to Gastropub once and had a few craft beers and some French fries. TBH when we went we had enjoyed quite a few glasses of wine with supper and evening drinks so by the time we got there at 10 we were just looking for a snack after the drinking. They were good and we would have gone again and tried more food if we had time.

Hey TBMRT:

3) How was the gastopub?

Thanks

mj

We were on the 10 day before them, and sailed the 11 day in November 2014.

Went to Murano, Tuscan, and Silk Harvest, all were very good to wonderful. Had a group of 20 from the Roll Call do a group dinner in Silk.

I cant say enough about the GastroBar as I am a Craft Beer nerd!:D

The food and beer paring is worth the fee.

Edited by wallie5446

Thanks cbsmith and Wallie for the info. This will be our 4th time on Equinox and it's our favourite. I was really stoked for the bocce ball and the gastropub. I'm glad to hear you liked the pub. I'm a craft beer nerd as well.

I'm also happy that you both like the specialty restaurants. We will give all three a go this time!

Will be on Equinox on Dec. 21 for the Christmas-New Years cruise with the same general itinerary.

(1) what occupies the remaining half of Quasar?

(2) would enjoy your feedback on the new production shows

(3) is there anything else that's new? (We we on the ship last in February)

So no production shows at all? Or were they still the "old" ones?

The preismans had reported that the "old" production shows were abbreviated for their transatlantic on the Equinox, apparently awaiting new cast and sets upon arrival in Florida in October.

The preismans had reported that the "old" production shows were abbreviated for their transatlantic on the Equinox, apparently awaiting new cast and sets upon arrival in Florida in October.

Two new spectacular production shows were introduced on the Nov 30-Dec 11 cruise. They were the energetic "Live" which featured current popular music. "Elysium" was slower paced but very artistic in terms of costumes, lighting and stage sets. Again the music was more current. The singers were excellent.

We spoke with a dancer one evening and she told us the very next cruise which left today will debut a third production show.

The rest of the shows presented the usual range of magicians, comedians, vantriloquists plus a soprano who sang 1940s and 50s show tunes, a lively Elton John imitator, and an Irish flautist who also played the penneywhistle (put me in the mood for St Patrick's Day). Phil Tag, the comedian on the final night, was the funniest comedian I have ever seen on any cruise in twelve years of cruising.

There was a new show produced in house. It takes some very talented and athletic people to pull it off. I am not 'hip' on what is going on, on Broadway. It was very up beat and fast moving, great vocals and dance. Not this 60+ ole guys cup of tea, I was ready to go about 10 minutes in, but my 60+ wifester loved it, so guess who got to stay seated for the entire hour.

Edited by wallie5446

The lawn was in amazingly good condition. Yoga sessions were held there a few times. The glass show is still going, but I thought I read here that its days are numbered on Equinox.

A new feature, the whiskey and bourbon tasting lounge, was located in a smallish corner area starboard side by the lawn. You have to read the daily bulletin to know when events are held at the whiskey lounge. I don't know how well attended these events were.

A Micheal Kors store on Deck Five opened for MK's leather goods. It always appeared to be busy. They had a nice selection of colors, sizes and styles.

As far as specialty restaurants go, I want to mention Bistro on Five. The menu has expanded slightly, but still has limited appeal. It has such a good location and looks cozy, but I think the concept needs some real tweeking to broaden the appeal and attract more passengers more often.

I liked the Gastro Pub, but Hubby has strict diet restrictions so the menu has little he can mangae. I loved the idea the pub has flatbreads, but didn't get to try any.

:)...looking forward to review...will be sailing 1/11/16.....most interested in your shore excursions in each port and any feedback you heard from others about their experiences on shore glad you had a great cruise

Hubby did the coffee tasting and city tour in Cartegena. He thought the tour guides were very good. He bought some of the coffee beans because he said they tasted just liked his favorite Kona.

In Panama Hubby took the tour that included the new locks being built and found that quite fascinating. The tour was called "Old and New Locks."

In Costa Rica he took the "Train, Bus and Boat" tour, but did not find it particularly interesting. He did see one cayman on the river side and one monkey in a tree. In full disclosure, we lived in Latin America many years, so this tour didn't really show much new, but it might be a good tour for those who aren't regular travelers to this region.

In Costa Maya, we just walked around the shopping area. At the entrance to the shopping area there were some seriously scarey men dressed as classic Mayan warriors. They were in awesome feathered costumes and war paint. They would pose with you, but the cost was twenty dollars.

In Cozumel Hubby took his favorite island tour with tequila tasting, but this time a new feature has been added he really enjoyed...the brand new Mayan chocolate factory. He learned a lot there about chocolate from tree to candy bars and got to taste various kinds of chocolate there. He felt this was a fun new feature.

By the way, a very large new shopping area is being built very near the Royal Caribbean/Celebrity Cozumel dock. I figure it will be another year before it is ready and full of shops.

One event happened on this cruise. We had left Puerto Limon, Costa Rica. We were out to sea about three hours, I thought, but maybe it was less. The captain came on and announced that some one was so seriously ill we had no choice but to return to Puerto Limon.

We arrived back there much faster than I would have predicted. Just as we docked a tropical downpour began. So the unfortunate family that had to leave the ship, had to do so under the most miserable of circumstances. I felt so sorry for that family.

We were docked about forty minutes, then headed out again. Some how we managed to make it to Costa Maya not a lot later than we had been scheduled to arrive, but even so the capatin graciously gave us extra time in port.

Two new spectacular production shows were introduced on the Nov 30-Dec 11 cruise. They were the energetic "Live" which featured current popular music. "Elysium" was slower paced but very artistic in terms of costumes, lighting and stage sets. Again the music was more current. The singers were excellent.

We spoke with a dancer one evening and she told us the very next cruise which left today will debut a third production show.

The rest of the shows presented the usual range of magicians, comedians, vantriloquists plus a soprano who sang 1940s and 50s show tunes, a lively Elton John imitator, and an Irish flautist who also played the penneywhistle (put me in the mood for St Patrick's Day). Phil Tag, the comedian on the final night, was the funniest comedian I have ever seen on any cruise in twelve years of cruising.

Also just got off this cruise. Was not a fan of Elysium at all, dull and I could not understand a word that was sung. But you are so right about Phil Tag! Hilarious! The World Class Bar was amazing! The bartenders are true artists there! Am booked again for March!

Equinox Cruise Review from Fort Lauderdale, November 30 – December 11, 2015

Hotel night before and Parking: Cambria Suites, Dania Beach: Wonderful hotel with separate TV’s/sitting area and large rooms. Free parking for 11 nights. Close to restaurants and nice shopping area, but better to drive 5 minutes there rather than try to walk over busy roads. Must wait to day of check-in to book shuttle ($5pp paid at desk). Returned via cab to hotel rather than await shuttle ($20).

We were allowed entrance to port and check-in at approximately 10:30am. Included Beverage Package was marked on shipcards. Then sat for a short time and boarded ship around 11am or so. The weather wasn’t great so we changed our plan from lunch poolside at Mast Grill to exploring Equinox and having drink/lunch at Oceanview Buffet…Excellent food and choices! Rooms ready around 1:30 or so. Pleased with our Concierge, Deck 10 cabin with best steward ever, Mario. I had typed up a list of items we like in our cabin at home and gave this to Mario….. i.e., icebucket, glasses, extra hangers, etc. All appeared soon after muster along with our luggage. Mario also cleaned out mini-bar, but told us he could no longer exchange the free white wine bottle in our room for something else. This policy has been changed. Unpacked and headed to Sailaway at Sunset Bar to meet Cruise Critic friends. A bit disappointed that Celebrity’s Sailaway party was affected by weather.

Met friends at our nightly stop, the fun Martini Bar, then headed to dinner around 7pm. Never a wait for Anytime Dining on any night of our cruise. In fact, the hostess kept our “usual location and staff information” in her computer and seated us there nightly. Kudos to Suki and Meta. Fabulous service. Food was the best we’ve ever experienced. We had lots of On-board credit to use up, but didn’t feel using it to book a specialty restaurant was needed.

Ate one night in MDR with two of our neighborhood friends and their UK friends/relatives who were staying in AquaClass as well as our two nightly tablemates. No problem having them join us in MDR.

Loved the first of the new Celebrity Production Shows (think it was called Live). Second show, Elyssium wasn’t as good, but still enjoyed it. Sorry the third production show wasn’t ready for our cruise. This new concept of entertainment really seems promising. The comedian, Phil Tag, was the funniest man we’ve ever seen on a cruise. Ventriloquist (sounds boring, but don’t miss this one) was absolutely amazing. The lone male singer/entertainer was pretty good. Did not care for the flute player, the house band, Take Five, or the woman singer.

Kudos to Cruise Director, Alejandro…Lots of fun. Also loved Andres, one of the entertainment staff. Not as crazy about his assistant, Jane. Felt like she really didn’t connect with passengers

DJ Flow’s music and personality were the very best.

Danced at a 70’s party one evening in the Sky Lounge which is very pretty….Fun w/DJ Gio.

Don’t know if it’s getting older, doing lots during the day or more probably, not feeling great, but we passed on lots of late night dancing, etc. Next cruise!

Enjoyed Sea Day and Meet N Greet with fellow Cruise Critic passengers. Alejandro, the captain (very friendly and fun) and other staff attended.

Went to snorkel at Eden Rock in Grand Cayman. Just walked the few blocks from ship, seeing shopping area enroute. Unfortunately, the weather was rainy and didn’t see nearly as many fish there as we did on our last visit to Paradise Grill area right next store to them a few years ago. We did see a huge spotted flounder which was nice though.Snorkeling Chankanaab National Park this Year (more to follow below) was so much better.

Missed our group’s scheduled slot pull since I wasn’t feeling well. Heard that they won $47 each…Oh well, next cruise!

Thoroughly enjoyed our prearranged trip with Dora in Cartagena Columbia. Thanks for arranging, Steve! The walled city was beautiful as were the other stops. Would have liked more time to shop in the dungeon area though. Dora bought the group some fresh fruit which was really delicious, especially in the high humidity/heat of Cartagena.

Panama – Toured privately with Robtad’s. When we arrived Roberto, the owner, told me we would be with another guide which worried me a bit since I had read so much about him. He informed me that our guide, Edwin Miranda Gurro, would be better than him. Edwin was extremely knowledgeable and fun and we were extremely happy with him. A great day…Thanks to Carl for arranging our tour.

Thankfully, we had just enough time to see a huge cargo ship approach the lock, watch the water level change and the gates open. Amazing. I really wasn’t thrilled about going to the locks initially, thinking it would be slow and boring…NOT.

The rest of the tour to various spots in Panama City was also fun and amazing. We tried to stop for a local lunch enroute back to the ship. However, traffic was crazy due to upcoming holidays and a parade so the group voted to pass on lunch.

Costa Rica was probably our favorite port this trip. We used William Guerrero/Luis Martin’s private tour with Carlos as our guide. We stopped frequently along the way and saw amazing red tree frogs, green tree frogs, little ants carrying leaves, a paprika pod, a Ylang-Ylang leaf which smells like Chanel No. 5. Saw many sloths and other wildlife on the Tortuguero Canal boat trip. I had arranged this tour and was hoping my cruisemates enjoyed it. Glad that it was fun.

Enjoyed relaxing on our next sea day and seeing some of the daily ship’s activities. Probably a good spot here to commend the fitness spa for cleanliness, equipment, etc. Although we didn’t take advantage of the paid items this year, the Zumba last year was great. Loved dancing with Alejandro and others during the day.

Visited Blue Kay Beach Club which I had read about on Cruise Critic. Took $2 taxi back and forth. You can also take an open air bus for $3. We somehow missed where to board it though so taxi was fine. No charge to visit there although they do expect you to buy food or drinks. Pina Colada was awful. Local beer and nachos good. Walked the Malecon, passing various beach clubs. Great beach day. Shallow, clear water.

Snorkeled our favorite spot in Chankanaab National Park the next day. So worth the $22 pp fee. ($2 coupon at their site). Split a cab with another couple so just $6 to get there. $12 for just 2 of us to return to port. Nice molded or wooden chairs with tiki hut umbrellas/tables included. Extremely clean.

Saw a seal show in Spanish which was really nice.

Adventure of the cruise….There are so many fish, small and large, very close to the easy entry steps to water at this amazing Park. We would never miss this Park at Cozumel. Best snorkeling ever except in an area we visited on a catamaran near Buck Island years ago. I had read that if one brings dog biscuits to draw the fish, your snorkeling would be even better.

So I put some dog biscuits in my snorkel vest and open it a bit to take one out to put in my hand to break up occasionally while snorkeling. Wrong move! In a few seconds we were totally surrounded by fish, some pretty large. Beautiful, but they started swimming under our arms, over our heads, up our backs, etc. I dropped the biscuit that was in my hand, but of course they still could smell them in my vest! It felt like we actually were in a bucket of fish. Both of us were bitten a bit (not seriously), but knew it was time to get to shore and get rid of the dogbiscuits and clean vest out.

(Later on that day on our ship someone told me that feeding fish in the islands is not permitted)

We later headed out again and snorkeled along the beach very far. Fabulous…Lots of colorful fish including some big schools of them.

Headed to the lagoon area at the Park and saw two iguanas which I love. Also saw some huge crocodiles in their exhibit.

Had the most delicious salsa, chips and fish tacos of my life at their beach restaurant along with some light Tekante beer. Great, friendly service also.

Nice to have a Sea Day before we disembarked. Enjoyed various onboard activities such as the Top Chef at Sea show, etc.

Said our final goodbyes to Sukihara and Mehet in the MDR and our cabin steward, Mario. They were really terrific.

Woke up in Fort Lauderdale at around 5:30am and sat on the balcony watching another large ship pulling in. We decided to grab some coffee and light breakfast items and eat there so we could relax before heading to the Equinox Theatre for our departure call at 8:20am.

Celebrity had a recap of the ship’s activities playing while we waited. Nice touch. We were called to depart from this fabulous cruise full of wonderful memories.

The only negative I can remember from this cruise was that customs was so SLOW. At first just one clerk for US passengers and then just two. The waiting lines were really awful. We’ve had just one other problem with customs in the past and that involved a drug bust which held us up. Understood that, but this time really seemed uncalled for.

Barbara & Tom

Just want to add that Equinox was beautifully decorated for the holidays. Garlands of pine and lights festooned railings. A Menorah was near guest relations on Deck Three. Stars of David greeted passengers at the netrance to the OceanView Cafe. Beautiful Christmas trees were here and there throughout the ship. Poincettia arrangements were near elevators.

The two trees at the bottom of the atrium stairs were so pretty, I wanted to drag one home with me to decorate my living room.

A rabbi was on board who had a ceremony each night to light a candle on the Menorah.

We were docked next to a Princess ship in Coasta Maya. I noticed that the capatain had a takk Christmas tree all lit up in his bridge! That was very pretty.