Anthem of the Seas - Time to Sound off

AdvGirl

Ok since I am booked on the Anthem of Seas Feb 2016 I have been reading all the reviews and must say was surprised at how many RCL loyalist where very unhappy with thier cruise on the Anthem. I was watching the reviews since the Anthem returned to New Jersey and overall they are not that good. Even the ones with good ratings have lots of negatives. The compalints can be broke down to three major areas:

1. Service/Staffing

2. Food Quality

3. Cleanliness

So here is my suggestiong to all of you that have had a bad experience on Anthem - please send something to RCL and "Sound Off" about what you did not like about the cruise and also what you did like. If they get enough people saying the same thing - my guess is they will be taking action to correct it. It is not in RCLs best interest to provided bad service. I do believe they want us to have a WOW experience. :)

So please "Sound Off" to corporate - I think they will appreciate the feedback.

P.S. If you have already communicated with corporate your concerns - thanks! - it may very well make my cruise and that of future Anthem cruisers much better. :D

I thought about 'sounding off' to RCL but my impression is that they couldn't give a rats ass about how past customers feel. As long as the ships are full, life is good.

Besides, I firmly believe, as with many public companies, they get way too corporate and forget the small touches and customer service and quality that got them there in the first place.

You think anyone from RCL will read these threads and ACTUALLY do anything?

I think not.

Edited by Submariner

I thought about 'sounding off' to RCL but my impression is that they couldn't give a rats ass about how past customers feel. As long as the ships are full, life is good.

Besides, I firmly believe, as with many public companies, they get way too corporate and forget the small touches and customer service and quality that got them there in the first place.

You think anyone from RCL will read these threads and ACTUALLY do anything?

I think not.

I am not sure if they read these forums or not that is why I say let them know directly. Send a short email to corporate. They do care about repeat business and customers, without it the ships would not be full.

Ok since I am booked on the Anthem of Seas Feb 2016 I have been reading all the reviews and must say was surprised at how many RCL loyalist where very unhappy with thier cruise on the Anthem. I was watching the reviews since the Anthem returned to New Jersey and overall they are not that good. Even the ones with good ratings have lots of negatives. The compalints can be broke down to three major areas:

1. Service/Staffing

2. Food Quality

3. Cleanliness

So here is my suggestiong to all of you that have had a bad experience on Anthem - please send something to RCL and "Sound Off" about what you did not like about the cruise and also what you did like. If they get enough people saying the same thing - my guess is they will be taking action to correct it. It is not in RCLs best interest to provided bad service. I do believe they want us to have a WOW experience. :)

So please "Sound Off" to corporate - I think they will appreciate the feedback.

P.S. If you have already communicated with corporate your concerns - thanks! - it may very well make my cruise and that of future Anthem cruisers much better. :D

I definitely plan to communicate with corporate………however it will be to praise the crew, food, and ship. We just returned from a fantastic 12-night cruise on the Anthem and were very impressed.

We were never presented with a morsel that we did not like and enjoy, the ship was clean, and the staff was top notch.

Yes, on one night the service in the main dining room was slower than on traditional ships, however we had read reviews stating that an built time into our schedule.

In reality:

~125,000 people have been on anthem now.

~250 people have complained about anthem on cruise critic. Everyone who has complained has been very vocal.

0.002% of people have thought that the service was that bad they had to complain about it!

The numbers are probably very not accurate.

My speculation below:

They only consider information that is taken from Cruise Critic.

Also, I'm guessing that these numbers group families and not consider the individual family/group members.

I do believe that Royal Caribbean does monitor these boards from time to time.

But if you want to really get their attention, take to Twitter and tweet comments/links to reviews to their PR Account.

They have been known to reply and they definitely have followers, so they don't want to have that out there.

My suggestions is to be professional when you tweet them (at least if you want a response).

We had been considering a cruise on Anthem. However, the negative reviews are making us reconsider. We wouldn't book for anything prior to 2018 so most of the problems they are having should be worked out.

Question: Did Quantum have the same problems? If so, how long did it take to correct them?

I definitely plan to communicate with corporate………however it will be to praise the crew, food, and ship. We just returned from a fantastic 12-night cruise on the Anthem and were very impressed.

We were never presented with a morsel that we did not like and enjoy, the ship was clean, and the staff was top notch.

Yes, on one night the service in the main dining room was slower than on traditional ships, however we had read reviews stating that an built time into our schedule.

Yes please do - They need to know what we like as much as what we don't. If we don't communicate they have to assume. And it is easy to assume the wrong thing.

Yes please do - They need to know what we like as much as what we don't. If we don't communicate they have to assume. And it is easy to assume the wrong thing.

Thanks for the kind response.

One of my favorite captains often says that he wants people to let them know what is working and what is not.

Every ship has an opportunity to improve and helpful criticism is good.:)

We had been considering a cruise on Anthem. However, the negative reviews are making us reconsider. We wouldn't book for anything prior to 2018 so most of the problems they are having should be worked out.

Question: Did Quantum have the same problems? If so, how long did it take to correct them?

I am just guessing but I think a lot of what is going on with Anthem has a lot to do with staff that is new or unfamiliar with Anthem. I think changing from Southhampton to New Jersey resulted in some or a lot of crew turnover. Quantum ships seem to run at a different tempo and different flow then many of the other RCL ships so even experienced RCl staff may struggle at first. Also I think RCL is still working on how to make these ships work best - it is somewhat of a pairdyme change for RCL management also - again this is an assumption on my part. :confused:;)

I have read Quantum reviews from its Asian sailings. You hear much of the same complaints as you hear on Anthem. But there is a lot in Asian sailings that has to do with a different demographic. I traveled in Asia a lot and things I have read may be just culture issues disguised as service issues. Plus Asia is a new market for most cruise lines and RCL is trying to accomadate the likes and dislikes of the Asian cultures it now serves just like it try's to accomadate the tastes of it's North American customers.:cool:

Im glad your still cruising! We will be on the anthem on jan 25. So glad you had a good time.

Merry christmas, your friends from the granduer

Steve,Kiersten and Tyler

I am just guessing but I think a lot of what is going on with Anthem has a lot to do with staff that is new or unfamiliar with Anthem. I think changing from Southhampton to New Jersey resulted in some or a lot of crew turnover. Quantum ships seem to run at a different tempo and different flow then many of the other RCL ships so even experienced RCl staff may struggle at first. Also I think RCL is still working on how to make these ships work best - it is somewhat of a pairdyme change for RCL management also - again this is an assumption on my part. :confused:;)

I have read Quantum reviews from its Asian sailings. You hear much of the same complaints as you hear on Anthem. But there is a lot in Asian sailings that has to do with a different demographic. I traveled in Asia a lot and things I have read may be just culture issues disguised as service issues. Plus Asia is a new market for most cruise lines and RCL is trying to accomadate the likes and dislikes of the Asian cultures it now serves just like it try's to accomadate the tastes of it's North American customers.:cool:

We were disappointed with the Quantum inaugural out of Bayonne and emailed RCCL. They followed up with a phone call and it seems that they took the complaints from all very seriously. Changes were made and future cruisers were happy.

Thanks for those responses. It is encouraging and we may still try this very different ship.

I'm one of those disappointed people who recently sailed Anthem. While I think it's a beautiful ship, there are way too many kinks to be worked out. Things at this point that really shouldn't be an issue. Problems from lines, reservations and major problems in the complimentary dining rooms. From all the people I had conversations with while I was on the Anthem, I'd say 90% of those people were not happy. On the flip side, the majority of the same people raved about the Oasis/Allure. So what gives? I can't really say it is because it's a new ship since I sailed on Norwegian's Getaway when it was 6 months old and we only had one issue which was addressed by the higher ups and they made things right.

I'm one of those disappointed people who recently sailed Anthem. While I think it's a beautiful ship, there are way too many kinks to be worked out. Things at this point that really shouldn't be an issue. Problems from lines, reservations and major problems in the complimentary dining rooms. From all the people I had conversations with while I was on the Anthem, I'd say 90% of those people were not happy. On the flip side, the majority of the same people raved about the Oasis/Allure. So what gives? I can't really say it is because it's a new ship since I sailed on Norwegian's Getaway when it was 6 months old and we only had one issue which was addressed by the higher ups and they made things right.

NCL has been doing the free choice thing a lot longer and has a lot more ships doing it - Free Choice or Dynamic Dinning as RCL calls it - is still a work in progress. Oh and NCL does not always have good first starts - The Escape is getting some pretty bad reviews - but I think it has more to do with there promotion that gave away free style dinning and drink packages - so many that there is not enough room in there for fee restaurants for everyone that has access to go. Also the decided to make the Jimmy Buffet place a for fee ala carte restaurant since it was so popular no one could get in. New things have new problems,

I just gt off the Allure yesterday-there are problems with the My Time Dining there too.

We started at the 6:00 Traditional Dining-the service in a nutshell was very poor so we asked Angel(concierge sp) to change our table-This was the first time we asked to change tables in over 50 cruises. We were offered and took a 6:30 dining time

knowing we would not be at same table every night.

Average wait was 40 minutes. The service by the new wait staff was great-the whole My time Dining seemed a little disorganized to me-there was consistantly people there that were upset about somthing. I know on the Allure and the Oasis they spent millions to change to Dynamic Dining and it never happened. This was my first taste of My Time and I cant wait to go back to traditional.

Is there a option to have traditional dining on the Anthem?

Side note-I think crew moral starts from the top-Captain Johnny runs a tight ship and he will be going to the Harmony this spring-I will be booking the Harmony-plus the grandkids will love the water slides!

Edited by harry0

... Is there a option to have traditional dining on the Anthem?...

There is a Dynamic Classic option where you will have one of two fixed dining times, and keep the same table mates and wait staff. However, you will rotate dining venues, and you won't know the schedule of rotation until you board.

Dynamic Classic sounds like that would fit fine-because we did get to eat at three different restaurants on Allure-Started at Silk-then American Icon-and the last meal was in the Grand-We didnt have same wait staff but would have liked to-just as long it wasnt the first team!.

Dynamic Classic sounds like that would fit fine-because we did get to eat at three different restaurants on Allure-Started at Silk-then American Icon-and the last meal was in the Grand-We didnt have same wait staff but would have liked to-just as long it wasnt the first team!.

It's important to note that 'Classic" on Anthem will differ from what you experienced on Allure. On Allure, you had the same MDR menu no matter what deck you were on. On Anthem, each venue has it's own distinct type of food.

I sailed the Quantum this past Feb. and had a fantastic time, one of the best cruises taken. The food, entertainment, & ambiance was very good, but the service was sporadic--sometime excellent and at other times indifferent. I'm looking forward to our 9 day cruise on Anthem.

Just wondering if the same complaining occurs on the other cruise line blogs.

In reality:

~125,000 people have been on anthem now.

~250 people have complained about anthem on cruise critic. Everyone who has complained has been very vocal.

0.002% of people have thought that the service was that bad they had to complain about it!

Interesting that you didn't note people who had a great time on board, and have already booked another cruise on the ship.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who did/are.

Most of the complaints have been about dining.

I don't know anyone who has complained about the shows or the venues- except that the Quest is in the SeaPlex- which was odd. We had a great time in 270, thought the iFly was really fun, enjoyed North Start (no line for our reservation), enjoyed Well Will Rock You a lot, etc.

Dining is very important, sure. But it's also a pretty small part of a day.

Most of the reviews I've read complain about service in the dining room. There are other things, but I think this category is by far the most prevalent.

I think this is because we tend to focus a main part of our vacation on food and eating. I mean after all, we all love it. To have an experience like that diminished because of poor service is upsetting. I agree with the OP - everyone who was unhappy with it, contact the cruise line directly so that they can keep track of the bad experiences and hopefully implement changes. Obviously these changes are not going to be made overnight, or next week, or maybe even next month but eventually I think we'll see an improvement (at least I hope.)

We were on the Brilliance this summer. Our MDR waiter told us that RC has changed from shipboard surveys to post-cruise surveys sent via e-mail.

He told us to fill out the survey, because headquarters takes those surveys seriously. But, he said that the written comments were taken more seriously than the answers on a scale of 1-5 or 1-10.

He said that if something was really wrong, explain in detail. If something was done really well, explain what was done so well.

We were very happy with our waiter, as well as our cruise director and a couple of his assistants and elaborated on the survey as to why they were outstanding.

I would suggest for anyone, let alone those who sailed on the Anthem, to answer the survey. Even if the cruise was overall very good, make the effort to go over any problems.

While trying to be positive, I'd guess maybe the root cause for the poor service is new staff turnover from the repositioning. Maybe I am wrong though.

We're on Anthem in June. Hoping things are improved by then as I've seen the reviews too, and they don't sound all that great, considering what we pay for on cruises.

Not sure if it is fact but I have heard that RCL corporate monitors posts on cruise critic and if they see a trend with Anthem they'll start looking into it - far as I am concerned, if we run into serious problems, I'll be writing a letter to RCL and if it really affects me poorly I'll also write an editorial suggestion for WSJ. The stockholders don't like bad news like that.

Edited by johnjen