Zaandam - which category - I or E

luv2cruisenz

Hi, we usually book an inside cabin (and try to find a large inside), and for our next cruise to South America/Antarctica we were going to book category I on the lower prom deck. At the moment this is the same price as an OV in category E and EE, and H is even cheaper.

I was wondering if anyone had an idea if the I is larger than the E or EE? And which one might have the love seat or a full sofa? Just to give an indication of size. The deck plans on the website seem to be a bit generic and I'm not sure which would be a better choice.

Any help is appreciated, as always.

Many thanks.

It appears that all of the categories you mention (on the lower prom) have loveseats/short sofas. The difference is placement -- if the cabin has a connecting door, the loveseat is placed against the inside bathroom wall! If not then on the wall that *would* have the door, adjacent to the bathroom wall. I have seen a room with connecting door, that was not in use, and the loveseat placed IN FRONT OF the door, so that position may "feel" larger.

The configuration of the beds will also affect how spacious the room feels. I find having the beds separated at twins feels roomier in cabins of this layout -- but that setup isn't always desired!

One thing you may or may not have thought of -- you will be in the far South Hemisphere during their "midnight sun" time, with the sun up late into the evening. If you are affected by light peeking in around the curtains, you may actually PREFER an inside.

As far as WHAT you would see from a PO or FO window -- there is a website that cannot be named, with photos taken from the promenade at the location of each of that deck's cabins. Google is your friend, and remember that the Amsterdam is the Zaandam's sister ship (and they both are R class ships). Search term: Holland America R Class photos -- should bring up the right website (not images) right near the top of the hits.

Good luck in your choice! We did South America without Antarctic on the Zaandam, and it was great! The promenade is the biggest balcony on the ship...

Edited by crystalspin

Thanks for that. Yes I agree "The promenade is the biggest balcony on the ship" which why we like the lower prom deck. We used to do guarantees but now book a specific cabin after walking past noisy/vibrating areas on a couple of ships so didn't want to take a risk. I think the cabin size would matter more than the window size, and location is important as well.

I am nervous about going round the horn, was it rough seas when you went?

Edited by luv2cruisenz

I am nervous about going round the horn, was it rough seas when you went?

Not for us! We had "Drake's Lake"! We also made port in Stanley/Falklands (where chances are said to be 50%).

The only choppy water we saw anywhere was at Punta Arenas -- which on the map appears to be entirely within the landmass! That was a funny day -- we spent the day on an all-day ship's tour that was combination penguin viewing and a BBQ at a sheep ranch on the north side of Otway Sound. It was a little blustery at the penguin cove, but very nice at the ranch. We got back to the ferry across the Sound and found a long line-up! Apparently there had been localized wind that stopped crossings during the afternoon, and when we did get to the port it was STILL stormy and the tenders were having a slow time of it as well. We ended up on the last tender; they pulled in the ramp after us and placed it in the "aisle"!

However, we did not feel it aboard ship, then or ever. Ships with modern stabilizers are SO much smoother...

Not to say it doesn't happen in Drake Passage, but I wouldn't be nervous! Just have something with you for seasickness if you are prone (or get meclizine/Bonine from the Front Desk).

Edited by crystalspin

For this cruise I would very seriously say to get an outside with an unobstructed or at minimum partially obstructed view. There is just SO much to see and you will want to see it all.

Outside is great most of the time, but this cruise is so overwhelming you might want to be in your cabin sometimes, but not missing anything.

Drake Passage is not often calm, but with some or more movement. Our first Antarctic my DH was not a happy camper with the very thought of two rough passages through this area. Turned out he was so enthralled with the Antarctic he would have endured 30 foots seas to get there and back!

Hi, we usually book an inside cabin (and try to find a large inside), and for our next cruise to South America/Antarctica we were going to book category I on the lower prom deck. At the moment this is the same price as an OV in category E and EE, and H is even cheaper.

I was wondering if anyone had an idea if the I is larger than the E or EE?

If all the cabins you are referring to are on Lower Promenade, then the inside I-category cabin is larger than the outside cabins.

If the outside cabins are on a lower deck, they are larger than the inside cabins on Lower Promenade.

The inside cabins have a love seat. There's room for two people to sit up straight at the same time, or for one person to lounge.

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I've booked an E, OV cabin on the lower prom deck just to have easier access to the outside. I always find it hard to choose a cabin, but have not been disappointed on any cruise so far.

Edited by luv2cruisenz