Something new on Veendam

PSR

Did a search and did not find that anyone posted this yet. We just got back from the Veendam Hawaiian cruise via San Diego and near the front desk there is one kiosk to print out your account records with a swipe of your card. I have never seen this on HAL before.

Have used them on Princess and it is very handy. The first time I used it on Veendam it worked fine. Several days later it was "out of service", so I had to go to the front desk. The third and final time it looked ok to use, but when I tried to use it, nothing came out; noticed a front desk worker coming toward it and open the front. There was a computer inside and it appeared maybe the paper had become stuck. Anyway, she was able to get it to work and my sheets appeared.

So, it appears to be a learning process for them, but at least it's a step forward.:)

Penny

Edited by PSR

There were two of these on the Eurodam two weeks ago. One was sometimes out of service but the other worked every time I tried.

YEAH - excellent addition! Hopefully viewing accounts on the TV like at a hotel will be next.
On the Eurodam there was a page on the ship server accessible via your own laptop or smartphone or the ship's computers in the Explorations Cafe. There were six functions available. One was to go paid internet, but the others were free. One of the free ones was viewing your account balance, which I did frequently. Another function was to view your "custom itinerary" which showed any reservations you had. Another allowed you to make dining reservations in the Tamarind, Canaletto, or PG. I don't remember what the other two functions were, so I guess I didn't need to use them! :) IIRC it was not possible to view daily menus, which I would like.

This system will be spreading to all ships. Rumor has it that the Koningsdam will have interactive TV's.

Edited by jtl513

I used (or tried to use) the kiosks on the Nieuw Amsterdam several times over a 6-week period.

I suspect that at least some of the time when one was "out of service" it was actually out of paper.

Sometimes one would work when the other didn't, and often "service" was restored quickly.