Fort Lauderdale before flying home

elmsliebev

Hi,

thinking of booking the first leg of QV world cruise - Southampton to Fort Lauderdale on leaving 10/1/16. We wouldn't fly out of Fort Lauderdale until 23.00 on 22/1/16.

Does anyone know if we'd be able to do a tour of some sort on that day before going to the airport. We wouldn't be booking direct with Cunard.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

thinking of booking the first leg of QV world cruise - Southampton to Fort Lauderdale on leaving 10/1/16. We wouldn't fly out of Fort Lauderdale until 23.00 on 22/1/16.

Does anyone know if we'd be able to do a tour of some sort on that day before going to the airport. We wouldn't be booking direct with Cunard.

Thanks in advance

I would suggest car hire for the day may be the best idea.

Hi elmsliebev. This is a good site for some local information:

Sunny.org

You may want to look into checking into a local hotel for a day stay as well. (For less than the full fare.) That way you can spend the day on the beach and have time to snooze or clean up before heading to the airport. Also, a lot of hotels will charge a nominal fee for access to their facilities without actually having to book a room. Or book a spa treatment at one of the resorts and it gives you access to the spa facilities for the day. Don't forget that you're not far from South Beach in Miami either. Always fun to go there and Lincoln Road and the Art Deco area as well. Have fun!

Is your overnight flight from Fort Lauderdale or Miami? When we did the first leg ours was from Miami. We booked into the Sheraton at Miami Airport for the day. A nice pool, a restaurant and pool bar, free wifi and a shuttle bus, all for a very reasonable cost.

If you are "up" for driving on the right (if not correct for you) side of the road, I would suggest taking a taxi to the airport and hiring a rental car for the day.

A taxi from the cruise terminal to the airport is about $20 (depending on which terminal will be used). Then, returning the car would be conveniently at the airport (if you are indeed flying from Ft Lauderdale).

One really can't "get around" Ft Lauderdale on foot or with public transport.

Your bags are another issue. I doubt you could leave them at the airport so long before your departure. But, with a car, you could just place them in the boot.

If driving on the other-side-of-the-road is daunting, booking a hotel room (as suggested by cruiseluvva) seems like an very good idea, provided you would like a day by the pool or (depending on the hotel's location) at the beach.

I think it is excellent that you want to see-a-little/do-a-little before flying home.

Have a wonderful voyages and safe travels!

Edited by jimmybean

Hi,

Thanks in advance

The Ft. Lauderdale Water Taxi gives a nice water view of the area with, depending on the crew, some entertaining information. With a day pass you can get on/off at will for meals or points of interest. You can study the routes online.

Could Cunard transfer baggage straight to the airport after picking in up in the ship's hallway?

(I've never flown after being on a ship…. So, I don't know how baggage is handled between the ship and the airport)

Because I am ignorant, I see baggage as an obstacle to Jim Avery's suggestion (which is really a good idea---the ocean in Florida is such a highlight) But, maybe baggage isn' the problem I think it would be..

(DH tells me I have to drag my suitcase off the ship---that it is good exercise for me).

If you are "up" for driving on the right (if not correct for you) side of the road, I would suggest taking a taxi to the airport and hiring a rental car for the day.

A taxi from the cruise terminal to the airport is about $20 (depending on which terminal will be used). Then, returning the car would be conveniently at the airport (if you are indeed flying from Ft Lauderdale).

!

I am picking up my Avis vehicle in Jan from their Hyatt Pier 66 rental location. They may have a shuttle bus but I am not sure

thanks for all these great ideas. Should find out today if DH can get the time off work (I'm good to go!) and then get it booked.

We would fly out of Fort Lauderdale rather than Miami, with Norwegian Air on a Dreamliner (more excitement).

Fingers crossed I'll be back with good news later :):)

Edited by elmsliebev