Cinema--First Run Movies?

a1moty

The Celebrity web site says that the cinema plays first run movies--but are they

new movies or just not-releasesd-on-video-yet movies? I have never gone to a movie on a cruise yet--but was just wondering.

The ones I've seen on cruises have been movies that were released a few months previously. They're not the most recently released movies.

We have a local $1.50 movie theater. Frequently the ones showing on our cruises will be some of the ones currently showing at the $1.50 theater.

These are the movies that were shown in the cinema on our 9/3 Infinity cruise:

De-Lovely, The Manchurian Candidate, The Notebook, Man on Fire, Being Julia, I Robot, Spiderman 2, Anchorman, Collateral, Bourne Supremacy, and Before Sunset. Some of these I have seen at home while watching HBO and Cinemax.

I haven't been on Celebrity before, but am looking forward to it. Does Celebrity give complimentary fresh popcorn to cinema-goers like HAL does?

Hi Bob !

Unfortunately, they do not serve popcorn at the Movie Theater. I have suggested it many times. Would be a nice touch if the did that.

Enjoy your Cruise !

When I was on Summit a few years back they showed "MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING." The interesting thing about this was that it was shown before it ever hit theaters. I don't know why. It was a hit on the ship and everyone seemed to enjoy it even though they had never heard of it before. So when I finally saw it advertised I was kind of surprised. The movie turned out to be a huge hit and now I get to say "I SAW IT FIRST."

The movies shown in the cinema are ones that have been out for a while and are showing on HBO or the cheap theaters. For example our late Jan 04 Century cruise showed ELF which was released November 2003.

The movies on the television are older ones and they are shown in both English and foreign languages. On the Century maiden voyage, they were having problems with their tv broadcasts. We would be watching one movie in English and all of a sudden it would change to a different movie in a foreign language - usually it seemed at a suspenseful part. Just one of the problems of maiden voyages - not everything runs smooth.

I also wondered about My Big Fat Greek Wedding being shown while it was still in the expensive movie theaters. They showed it many times on our cruise I wonder if it was because Celebrity was basically a Greek line (most of the officers are Greek).

Princess must be a little different we saw Wedding Date the beginning of May on a 4 day Diamon Princess coastal cruise. I am not sure it was even on PPV at that point.

Last year we brought up the popcorn thing to the cruise director on Infinity and he said they didnt have a good way to recycle it. IE feed it to the fish. I suspect its just messy and they didnt want to deal with it.

We were very disappointed in the movies shown on the Millennium in June. I wouldn't call any of them first run. The ones in the movie theater were the same ones as shown at various times on the TV.

BTW, there WAS a popcorn making machine in the Movie Theater. Never went to a movie in there, so I don't know if they actually fired it up or not.

We were very disappointed in the movies shown on the Millennium in June. I wouldn't call any of them first run. The ones in the movie theater were the same ones as shown at various times on the TV.

BTW, there WAS a popcorn making machine in the Movie Theater. Never went to a movie in there, so I don't know if they actually fired it up or not.

Hi Margie !

I Never saw a popcorn machine on any of the ships. I did suggest it several times before. Who knows ? Maybe they listened :)

When I was on Summit a few years back they showed "MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING." The interesting thing about this was that it was shown before it ever hit theaters. I don't know why.
We saw it on the Infinity, too -- 12/03 as I recall.

My recollection is that MBFGW started out as a narrowly distributed flick that was not expected to develop the following that it quickly received due to word of mouth support. Only after it had been out for a while did it make major distribution and become the big hit that it eventually became. I believe that what you (and we) saw was this movie in the period before it reached major distribution, but after it's far narrower distribution in its original release. That would explain your impression that it hadn't yet been released.

That said, I wonder how many Celebrity ship's captains have such great faith in Windex?

What kind of schedule are they on? Do the movies play all day or just at night?

Thanks!

There are a couple of showings of each movie during a weeks cruise, times vary from early afternoon to late evening with two movies shown each day.

Hi Margie !

I Never saw a popcorn machine on any of the ships. I did suggest it several times before. Who knows ? Maybe they listened :)

Andy, my hubby came home a little while ago and he said that he popped into the movie theater one day on the Millennium and they had the popcorm machine filled with popcorn....serve yourself. :)

Andy, my hubby came home a little while ago and he said that he popped into the movie theater one day on the Millennium and they had the popcorm machine filled with popcorn....serve yourself. :)

Hi Margie !

Good to hear. I will be on Century in 6 weeks. I will definately check to see if there is one on there too. I hope so !

Archived